1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Best time with standard setup

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Mike1304, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Mike1304

Mike1304 Alien

Is it possible to drive best times (alien times) with the standard car setups or is it essential to adjust the settings, change tires ...?
    It would be nice if you could concentrate on pure racing without taking care of the settings. There should be the possibility to have an automatic setup guide who gives you the best setup for each track-car- combination. In real life the drivers also have a team where technicians take care of the setup...
    A talented driver doesn't automatically mean that he is also a good technician.
    If someone loves to race doesn't automatically mean that he is also interested in technical setups.
    Of course people who love and understand the technical background they can adjust the setup manually to their personal needs...

mattrick, Enzo Martin and Colt Rogers like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Assetto corsa competizione ps5 Mugello best track Mar 14, 2024
    Chit Chat Room Best version of Sebring Jan 6, 2024
    ACC General Discussions What is the best advice to fix understeer and oversteer Mar 11, 2023
    General modding discussion Whats the best way to use mods for AC ? Feb 11, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Seeking opinions for buying the best Jan 22, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Best way to setup reverse grid-second races offline? Jul 5, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions Best settings for Nitro 5 with I7 11800H, RTX 3060 and 16 GB of Ram Jun 10, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Best Lap Problem Apr 18, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality Dlss 2.3.9 is the best experience so far [Not recommended] Apr 15, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions ACC G923 PS5 Best settings Force Feedback??? Feb 25, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality Simple BestSetting VR for G2 3080ti 90fps Dec 17, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting Ferrari 488 GT3 Evo Incorrect Lap shown as Best Lap on Q Dash Nov 29, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality About pull the pin - latest thoughts on best VR headset for ACC? Nov 5, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality What is the best cpu/gpu combo to run ACC at max settings Sep 2, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Best Wheels to Play Assetto Corsa Competizione Aug 18, 2021

3. rolli7

rolli7 Gamer

If you want to be fast, you´ll need a good setup.
    There is no "best setup". Every driver has his own feeling. That means my personal best setup may feel crap to you...

Enzo Martin likes this.
  4. BenC

BenC Hardcore Simmer

All drivers favour a different setup. Whats fast for me, may not be fast for you. Best to check online at places like RSR to see if a set has been posted and try several, in order to find one that suits your style.

TrenchcoatNinja likes this.
  5. CTR69

CTR69 Racer

Setup is not difficult, just don't do everything at once. For start, play with gear ratios, aero and rollbars, so you see how the car handles. Also dump the fuel, if you're playing with open wheels.

6. rzr1

rzr1 Simracer

It is impossible to get near the good times with standard setup from my experience..
    I was checking my lap times on RSR when the lotus exos 125 @ nurb came out and i was like on 5th page(so place 200 +) with my best time after a lot of practice,i accepted that maybe i`m not that good even though i only wanted to be in a decent pace not the best..but then i went online and downloaded a lotus exos setup and i instantly took of 2 SECONDS and a day later i made it to first page on RSR leaderboards and i`m still there place 35th i think...it was MIND BLOWN for me..so yeah SETUP is the key word :D

7. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

Simracing does mean you need setups.
    Ok, forza/gt players dont know it, but you can win 2-4s with an setup.
    Klaus Ellenbrand (fastest guy on rsr) shared his setup on monza and i was 3s faster.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One mit Tapatalk

8. CTR69

CTR69 Racer

Good setup gives you confidence to really attack the corners and drive aggressively. Without it, the car's unstable and slides all the time. You can't carry good speed around the corners and you're fighting the car all the time.

9. Thomas Gocke

Thomas Gocke Alien

3 sec? That can't be just because you have more confidence to push, there must be something that gives you A LOT more grip. Did you find out what made the biggest difference? Or are you only using the setups from other people without studying them? Which of course is perfectly fine, most of us are here to race, not for car setup engineering.
    I'd say setups can make 0.5-1 sec difference, but 3 sec is a hole different class, this would mean people should stop practicing right now and focus on trying to find the magic setup, this can't be right.

I really hope you are exaggerating when talking about 3 sec! And if not, there really is a huge need for fixed setup races, even though some people might don't like it...

10. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

yeah on some cars it was a big difference in my case. I cant setup the Lotus T125 S1 right and his setup gave me a huge boost :D
    But the Lotus T125 is better to adjust, im even faster with my one setup then Klaus on Vallelunga or with the Ferrari 312T on Vallelunga - first place for Klaus :)
    Overall i know some basics and test many setup changes by myself (BMW M3 GT2 is best example, look at my Deatroy RSR Account), so that im pretty fast with it. But some combos are too hard to get right and then its nice to use other setups.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  11. mogroith

mogroith Racer

The easiest thing to start with are tire pressures, drop them 3-4 psi do a couple of laps then check out the temps 80-90 street- semi slick, 90-100 slicks this from real life experience so probably wrong, I want to download the tire app but I am a techno-phobe so have wait for my granddaughter to come over and help me. Then adjust pressure, add more if they are to hot, less if their under. Next strep is staggering the pressures, tracks don't have equal amount of left and right corners, so the tires on one side don't get hot enough, so drop a few psi out of the colder tires till their all with in a couple degrees of each other. That should give you a good base to start with, before playing with the dark art of suspension tunning

12. TCLF

TCLF Alien

all depends on what car you drive. there are cars which you can't setup a lot.

13. Ray HT

Ray HT Simracer

I`m a bit like others I do find setting up a car a nightmare , unless you have a good understanding you can go around in circles adjusting and getting nowhere ..

14. One more reason to love street cars....

15. Mike1304

Mike1304 Alien

Me too. If Kunos would implement an automatic setup guide I could concentrate on racing...

16. spiritofsenna

spiritofsenna Simracer

I think Kunos should release a few "Aris Approved" setups for some of the really popular car and track combos.

That said. RSR and racedept have some very good setups. I've learned so much about car setup in this forum too.

Enzo Martin likes this.
  17. JakeDunc

JakeDunc Racer

Before you even endulge in setting up the car you should be extremely familiar with the track and the stock car first. Your driving should be fast and what's even more important - consistent.

18. Thomas Gocke

Thomas Gocke Alien

Had another thought about it, more confidence can really make a huge difference in a high downforce car. But I bet if you had switched back to your old setup you wouldn't have lost that 3 sec again, because you now knew what the car was capable of.

Anyway, as Michael said, one more reason to love street cars, I predict some great fun racing MP with those street cars :) I hope with the different upgrade steps they get bigger groups of cars at a similar pace so they can be raced against each other and not everyone taking the same car if one is clearly fastest. And only having spec series racing would be a waste of so many nice cars, imho.

On the other hand, learning how to setup a car is also a lot of fun. I'm no pro, but I'd say I know what setup changes should be done to counter over- or understeer in the different parts of a corner. But I never had the desire to actually test much to find out what settings make the car faster.
    That's why I like the idea of partially fixed setups so much. Only allow changes on one end of the car, so you can only make relative changes, front to rear balancing, but not changing it completey by going to one extreme that would have consequences in real life that aren't modeled in the sim (yet).
    I hope unrealistically fast setups are reported to the KS team so they can take a look at them and adjust things if needed.

19. CTR69

CTR69 Racer

I love setting up the GT cars till they're like a putty in my hands. Only at that point, i can concentrate on fast laptimes and search for ideal racing line. If the car doesn't behave the way i want, i won't bother with laptimes. Being comfortable is what makes you faster.

Skip to 39:00

20. CanOx

CanOx Simracer

What car/track would you guys suggest to play with setups and find my 'driving style'?
    All my RSR 'All Around' rank times are done with stock setup.. and Im always between 105-108% of the WR and about #300 rank.

The Lotus 2 Eleven at Silverstone comes to mind for me.. lots of turns to improve time on. I practiced all day improving my lap times there but Im still 13s behind the leader.
    Thats a big amount of time to see where my setup is making me faster/slower. Compared to the Abarth500/Vl-club race where Im 3s behind the leader.. still #300.

21. Mogster

Mogster Alien

I think the most important setup changes are those that aid in tyre heating. The difference in grip between semi slicks at 90c and 60c is massive. Then I try to get more turn in, the default setups are very understeery.

In general reducing tyre pressure raises temperatures.
    In general adding negative camber increases tyre temperatures and grip.
    Softer damping, springs at the front, harder at the rear gives more front end grip.
    Toe out of the front wheels gives more aggressive turn in, toe in gives better stability.

Brainspiller, TCLF and Yanaran like this.