1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Choose car skin before join server, loading tracks, ping

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by sti228, Sep 1, 2017.

1. sti228

sti228 Racer

Hello. This is just a suggestion nothing more. If someone know how i can fix them somehow let me know.

I don't understand why we don't have car skin change function in online... It's too hard to edit ? That's terrible. For example car have 3 color in skin folder:

White
    Rad
    Black

Before join server i want to use red color for my car and there is no choose function. So server automatically select any color for my car... No way to make some slider or drop down box or server command to change car color manually?

Also why we don't have simple admin command to change tracks ? For example i have 2 road and i want to change it. For this i need stop server every time, edit file, save it and start server again ?

Not possible to edit admin command like "load next track" or "load previous track" ? Last question about server ping.

I search but can't find hot key command how i can see server ping while i driving car in server. Any chance to edit this in next update ?

Ben Lee and Tim Schneider like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Friends can join but can't choose car Jul 3, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer Choose car # in entry list Jul 8, 2019
    ACC Gameplay Championship: can't choose all the cars Jul 6, 2019
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues No cars to choose on server Sep 30, 2017
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues I cannot choose Ferrari F40 normal(AI car) Jun 17, 2017
    Suggestions Choose a different ghost car - please May 27, 2017
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Some downloded cars not available to choose Dec 23, 2015
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues 1.3 in automatic cars when changing manualy cant choose the gear i want Oct 9, 2015
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues No preview for bmw 1m when we choose a car Dec 19, 2014
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues With "pickup mode enabled" cannot choose car to enter server Jul 18, 2014
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Pre-booking: Choose Car May 18, 2014
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds No matter what car or track I choose It always loads Magione and Car 1: Lotus May 17, 2014
    Chit Chat Room 10 new Cars you would choose for Assetto Corsa Feb 26, 2014
    ACC Gameplay Can’t Choose BMW for Sprint Nov 26, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Don't work, when i choose wheel control. Sep 5, 2021

3. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Basically the server has a certain number of slots.
    Each slot has a specific skin assigned, named after the skin folder.
    In principle, the server doesn't care what skin your client actually loads, it just tells the client which folder to pick the files from.

Anyway, I agree with you, it would be great to choose the skin yourself and in addition it would be great to have custom skin exchange, so you could install your own skin, which would then be exchanged to the other users via the server and visible by the other drivers.
    However, I guess it's not done because it would increase traffic and hence servers would get more expensive. Might even affect the network quality in a negative way.
    As for the skin selection, I don't know why it behaves like that, but it might have to do with the assignment of skins to the slots.
    e.g. let's say that car ID 10 gets occupied by a user who selected the black skin. Then this user leaves and another user joins for slot 10, but selected the red skin.
    Now in some way you would need to tell all other clients that they need to change the skin for that car slot on the fly.
    I don't know how AC works there in reality and if it could change skins on the fly, but it looks like all car-specific ressources are loaded upon starting acs.exe, so the client would be stuck with the selection of skins at the state when joining.
    Getting the skin updates – because some chose different skins – might only get visible when leaving and rejoining.
    Might be possible to change that (and maybe it already supports it), but I wouldn't bet on this getting changed.
    That was an option a few years ago, but it was removed for some reason I can't remember.
    There is a track rotation server plugin on racedepartment, though. But I didn't try it, so no idea if it works well.
    At least that's the official way of doing things.
    Personally, I like doing a track per day (or 1-3 days), so I'm fine with changing the file.
    But yeah, it would be nice if there were other ways.
    Your ping to the server is the number in the upper right corner of your screen.

sti228 likes this.
  4. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

I've been on a server that (presumably) ran that plugin. It worked quite well, but every player has the exit the session and reconnect to the server.

Since it was a 3h or 4h session as track day this kind of worked quite alright, yet it is pretty much pointless IMO for a public server that hosts sprint racing.

Could work well though if there would be an auto-join/-reload option, so you automaticly get reconnected to the new track and also to have your car again.
    The manual rejoin way there's the possibility other guys take the car you had and want to drive again.

5. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

It sounds like you are the admin for your server so why not assign steam guid's for you and your friends on the skin you wish to use? It is no way near as good as being able to select skins but just incase you didnt know you can assign them in the entry list using steam guid...

6. sti228

sti228 Racer

andy-riches

I don't understand what you want to say... Here is my entry_list.ini file

Code:
    [CAR_0]
    MODEL=sh_nissan_skyline_typegt
    SKIN=Athlete_Silver
    SPECTATOR_MODE=0
    DRIVERNAME=
    TEAM=
    GUID=
    BALLAST=

[CAR_1]
    SKIN=LimeGreen
    SPECTATOR_MODE=0
    DRIVERNAME=
    TEAM=
    GUID=
    BALLAST=0

[CAR_2]
    SKIN=Uras_Grey_Demo
    SPECTATOR_MODE=0
    DRIVERNAME=
    TEAM=
    GUID=
    BALLAST=0

[CAR_3]
    SKIN=Uras_White_Demo
    SPECTATOR_MODE=0
    DRIVERNAME=
    TEAM=
    GUID=
    BALLAST=0

[CAR_4]
    MODEL=sh_nissan_skyline_street
    SKIN=Athlete_Silver
    SPECTATOR_MODE=0
    DRIVERNAME=
    TEAM=
    GUID=
    BALLAST=0

[CAR_5]
    SKIN=Uras_Blue_White
    SPECTATOR_MODE=0
    DRIVERNAME=
    TEAM=
    GUID=
    BALLAST=0

[CAR_6]
    SKIN=Uras_Demo_White
    SPECTATOR_MODE=0
    DRIVERNAME=
    TEAM=
    GUID=
    BALLAST=0

[CAR_7]
    SKIN=Uras_Demo_Yellow
    SPECTATOR_MODE=0
    DRIVERNAME=
    TEAM=
    GUID=
    BALLAST=0

[CAR_8]
    MODEL=sh_nissan_skyline_hr34
    SKIN=Athlete_Silver
    SPECTATOR_MODE=0
    DRIVERNAME=
    TEAM=
    GUID=
    BALLAST=0

[CAR_9]
    MODEL=sh_nissan_skyline_hr34
    SKIN=Sonic_Silver
    SPECTATOR_MODE=0
    DRIVERNAME=
    TEAM=
    GUID=
    BALLAST=0
    So can i select Uras_Demo_White skin every time when i join server ?

7. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

Yes, if you paste your steam guid into GUID= then the skin will be reserved for you. If you are always the 1st person to populate the server you could just set it as the 1st skin in the entry list. With empty GUID= they are assigned to players in the same order they appear in the entry list (athlete silver first then lime green and so on.)

sti228 likes this.
  8. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

That's not how I believe the skin system worked in GTR2. I believe it worked on a naming system or GUID and simply having the skin in your car folder would display it whilst in the server, otherwise it would just display a default skin, no downloading needed when connecting etc.

9. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Note that this works only if you are absolutely the first person joining that server.
    If someone joins and then leaves again, it doesn't work anymore, since 1.12 or 1.13, iirc.
    Since then, AC tries to be more persistent with the assigned slots, so if you join and leave and then join again, you get the same slot unless it was occupied in the meantime.

Also note that assigning GUID means that you'll get that slot when you join, but AC only preserves the slot as long as other slots are available.
    AC does the same. If you don't have a skin a server is requesting, then a dummy skin is shown (usually a white car).

10. sti228

sti228 Racer

For example i have 2 color

Code:
    [CAR_15]
    MODEL=ks_porsche_cayman_gt4_std
    SKIN=00_racing_yellow
    SPECTATOR_MODE=0
    DRIVERNAME=
    TEAM=
    GUID=
    BALLAST=0
    RESTRICTOR=0

[CAR_16]
    MODEL=ks_porsche_cayman_gt4_std
    SKIN=09_sapphire_blue_metallic
    SPECTATOR_MODE=0
    DRIVERNAME=
    TEAM=
    GUID=
    BALLAST=0
    RESTRICTOR=0
    My friend want to choose yellow and i want blue metallic. What to do ? Also how i can find my steam guid ? If i put my friends name or steam guid, server can select this color ?

11. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

right click on your steam profile page and select "copy page url" and then paste it somewhere and grab the number or google steam guid checker or if you use stracker on your server you can probably find it there. it is a 17 digit number. just paste yours on the car you want and his on the car he wants in the entry list.

sti228 likes this.
  12. sti228

sti228 Racer

I don't have numbers. I have id/sti228. Will this change anything ? Paste it here ?

13. DD_Friar

DD_Friar Simracer

In Il2 when flying on line, players can set a skin which gets automatically uploaded and then distributed automatically and downloaded into a net cache folder and the game loads them to the aircraft. Until that happens the player sees a default skin. This process is generally quite quick although sometimes you hear "can you see my new skin?"...."no, not yet, I am seeing the plain green camo, oh ok, it's just popped in, yea, looks good....."
    This happens for potentially a far larger number of planes where as AC has a finite number of cars. Agreed car skins are more complex and would be larger files but once a player has the skin it does not need to download again.

I wonder if something like this could be achieved in AC engine in the future?

14. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

Type "Steam GUID" into Google if you cant find it.

15. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

If your server has stracker, the easiest way is to go into the admin section and then on drivers and then it'll show a list of all recent drivers on the server, each one with their steam guid.