1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Comparing the nordschleife. ac vs iracing

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Ace Pumpkin, Dec 5, 2015.

1. yusupov

yusupov Alien

yeah the frustrating thing for me hasnt been the actual downtime but the waiting as its been drawn out further & further. but **** happens, theyve worked round the clock & steve myers has been constantly updating his twitter w/ latest info, itll be out of mind in a couple hours when theyre back online.

2. Tom Shane

Tom Shane Racer

For me, personally, I was looking for a sim in which I can race as close to real competitions as possible, without looking for clubs and leagues which always sooner or later fall apart and the search starts over. In iRacing I select a series I want to race and stick to it. I spend a lot of time in it, because I want to become better and more competitive, not because I spend money on it. If I don't feel like racing, I have no problem to take a break, even when my subscription is still active. This is not my motivator.

3. Where can be found vln layout? Today when site was up I've seen separate gp and green hell, but into layout nothing combined. It will appear magically when you buy both? Mmh or another one?

4. murderous972

murderous972 Racer

You have the combined version when you buy the two tracks

Michele Papis likes this.
  5. yusupov

yusupov Alien

got to do a quick tourist-y lap in the jetta before they got overloaded, tbh i felt AC looks better, at least with iR's default settings. the trees just really stick out like a sore thumb (and i enabled the new two pass thing). could be entirely due to me looking at it more critically than i have in AC for a long while though. or could simply be the fact that ACs gfx engine is just plain better from a quality standpoint.

6. Roland Osza

Roland Osza Simracer

Lol, such ripoff.

Glaurung likes this.
  7. muscimol

muscimol Gamer

I've just driven on Nordschleife in iR and compared to AC, which is running on my rig right now, it is IMO leaps and bounds ahead of AC version. The geometry in AC is spot on and that's all, track surface is much more detailed in iR, the road texture is crisp and probably has 10 times more graffiti, the landscapes look beautiful while in AC it's hidden behind trees and last but not least the shadows are crisp and do not shimmer like it is the case in AC.
    Edit. OK maybe too harsh, AC is pretty good :), but it's the iR version I really feel like being there.

8. So the only difference you've found is in the Force Feedback code..? ;)

nate likes this.
  9. muscimol

muscimol Gamer

It's not only the FFB code dude. The surface is just more detailed, get over it, you can feel it in car behavior. Same laser scan doesn't mean the surface is identical. There are no PCs on earth that would calculate the contact patch with complete point cloud from LS and everyone have to make some simplifications - iR just keeps more details in their tracks.

10. Quffy

Quffy Alien

How did you measure which is more detailed physically, was from how much the steering wheel wobbled in the hands? edit. But what does being more detailed physically mean, it makes the track with less detail inaccurate and not true to the experience you'd get in the real track?

11. muscimol

muscimol Gamer

I haven't said that anywhere. Quoting myself - AC track is pretty good and the geometry is spot on... it's good and you can sleep well with that in mind. Just driving on iR track you can feel more and you're more immersed - if this is what immerses (is that even a word? :) ) you. If you prefer nicer shaders over surface details you would be probably more immersed in AC.

yusupov likes this.
  12. True. Immersion is the right word and everybody gets immersed because of different things. But saying 'track surface is much more detailed in iR' is just empty words which you cannot prove or measure at all. . :)

The Moose, Glaurung and Nick Moxley like this.
  13. Quffy

Quffy Alien

But the way you're saying you can feel more, seems like you're implying the ir version is the best recreation and ac is not. There's only so much that you can recreate a race track (talking about the physical road portion). Maybe after you add too many details, in itself becomes different feeling compared to the real life road.

I know 'more' doesn't always mean better, but the way some people are advertising (not you specifically) talking about iR's Nordschleife, give the connotation that by having more of something, they want to imply is also better. There have been plenty of comparisons between sims, on various aspects, but some people comfortably use one sim as a base to compare the other sims, when instead sim a and sim b should be compared to reality. And this is the case here, comparing Nordschleife when driving it with a car, should be compared between the real track and the sim track. Of course, we again will enter the field of subjectivity, and the territory of advertising against an informed honest statement. So we should be careful when stating how one thing is and how the other thing is. One can create a very physically detailed road, but then the driving experience on that road to have not been faithfully recreated when compared to the real counterpart. Kunos had RSR Nurburg test AC's Nordschleife and the one in real life, since their job is right there at the track, as driving instructors and or tourist taxi laps. So I don't see we having to worry as much, because professionals tested the product. Which doesn't guarantee is the best, but can successfully validate the work done to the track in game.

Znam Neznam likes this.
  14. Znam Neznam

Znam Neznam Hardcore Simmer

Placebo effect.

The discussion here was the actual visual difference of the road surface between iRacing and Assetto Corsa versions of Nordschleife.

Now how they feel when you drive it is totally different topic.

If you want a refresher on how FFB works in video games.

Leo Bodnar wrote great article about it.
    http://www.racesimonline.com/articu...back_In_Computer_Simulators_Does_Not_Work.pdf

PuffTheMagicBelgian likes this.
  15. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

The sun position model is completely wrong, so it's impossible for shadows to be even approximately correct throughout the day. Lots of details here.

Bill Wiskins likes this.
  16. I'd say it's car physics related more than anything else ;)

17. liakjim

liakjim Alien

That "feeling" proves nothing i am afraid since we are talking about 2 different games.
    They are using different physics frequency in the calculations and different way of translating those calculations from physics to your wheel.

Also someone would say that because your wheel is oscillating more in iRacing, that means that actually the physics layer of the track is less dense and as a result the suspension move more!!! (as it happens in some bad tracks ported from other games).

Visually i can't tell. But as i had iRacing for 3 months i would say that it has crisp textures but graphics are old since engine is old. There is simply no comparison with a modern game in directX11 as AC.

As for driving, well it's better or on par as raceroom but far worse than rF2 or AC.

Only selling point (i guess) for iRacing is the perfect online system. If AC was like that, iRacing would just die.
    Even that is not enough for me personally as i don't like the feeling of cars.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    Nahkamarakatti, Glaurung and Kristaps like this.
  18. Now it's alive :D

19. Glaurung

Glaurung Hardcore Simmer

This matters.
    I'm still waiting this.
    And please let's get rid of advertising stuff and posts (both from AC and iRacing).

Nahkamarakatti likes this.
  20. Caleb Mils

Caleb Mils Gamer

iRacing for me has many selling points. Best/most realistic feeling cars from existing sims, best competition, best online system to the point, that I drive in AC much less frequently than in iR.

From youtube comment section
    Q (Danny G): Hey dale why did u choose iracing over assetto corsa or project cars
    A (BridgeToGantry): +Danny G I have all three, but the 'feeling' compared to the reality is definitely best in iRacing. There are lessons to be learned from all three games though. We're in a golden age!

BBernes likes this.