1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

CPU boost drops. Please help, Devs? Experts?

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by zzjorzz, Sep 8, 2022.

1. zzjorzz

zzjorzz Gamer

9700KF CPU, 2070S GPU. MB Aorus B360M gaming 3, 970 EVo, 16gb RAM@ 2400mhz.

Normal CPU Boost core clock 4.7ghz

Problem: CPU boost core clock drops to 3900ghz when driving, losing me around 20FPS. When pausing, CPU core boost back to 4600ghz, regaining 20FPS.

-I run ultimate performance power plan in windows 10.
    -I am not Thermal Throttling (normally around 60 degrees in game).
    -I am not Power Limit Throtttling
    -I am not MB VR Thermal Throttling

No change when adjusting anything in BIOS nor in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, nor Windows powerplan.
    Newest BIOS and all drivers up to date.

Top picture, paused, bottom picture unpaused. Both taken before start with a field of 21 AI.

Is this ACC related? Is there another issue that I can solve? Any suggestions or solutions?

Greatly appriciated!

IMG_9572.jpg IMG_9570.jpg

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Multiplayer CPU high in Server stats - my CPU or Server CPU? May 24, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Multi Cpu on Asseto Mar 2, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds CPU usage at 99% when playing Assetto Corsa Dec 30, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions Flex Post sorry but it feels good. CPU upgrade. Dec 22, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions Can I get more performance for ACC out of my CPU and RAM? Dec 11, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting ACC somehow CPU Spike background task dependant? Nov 22, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions CPU upgrade advice Nov 10, 2022
    ACC Controls & Peripherals CSL DD - Warning: CPU Usage > 99% Mar 20, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions Can’t get the FPS up with Triples, CPU/GPU not being used to maximum Mar 20, 2022
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Graphic settings and CPU performance hit Feb 11, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Game crash EU4-AC2 or PC freeze [unstable CPU auto OC] Feb 6, 2022
    Bug reports CSL DD PC CPU OVERLOAD Dec 31, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting CPU and game crash on startup before main menu Nov 29, 2021
    ACC User Interface Warning CPU usage message when leaving pits Nov 24, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting Frame drops and CPU spikes after 1.8 update Nov 24, 2021

3. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

Does it do it if you run heavy benchmarks?

4. zzjorzz

zzjorzz Gamer

Not when running CPU benchmarks

5. Luis Branco

Luis Branco Alien

You can check the following to see if any is causing it:
    1. Make sure CPU power-saving (CPU drops under load) isn't used in your current W10 power management (minium processor state 100%)
    2. Make sure BIOS power management is disabled (for your motherboard):
      1. CPU EIS Function - disable Intel Speed Step Technology
      2. Race to HALT (RTH) - disable CPU power saving
    You can check your's motherboard BIOS manual (page 23 and 24):
    https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b360m-aorus-gaming-3_1003_e.pdf

zzjorzz likes this.
  6. zzjorzz

zzjorzz Gamer

Thanks for your reply!

1. Yes, that one is on minium processor state 100% (min 100% max 100% cooling active.
    2. Thanks for the tip, this one I am going to try now, I'll come back to that!

I see in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility also a possible problem, Current/EDP Limit Thottling is on YES and 100%. I tryd to find how to fix that but I could not find a working solution.
    When I use a powersafe management, and coreclock drops to under 1.3 GHZ, Current/EDP Thotling is still YES and on 100%.

Also when I change TDP above 95 W (the TPP set for a 9700k.

Could problem be related? And is there a solution? Or is it a problem with my specific MB?

Knipsel.JPG

7. zzjorzz

zzjorzz Gamer

I now also did the changes to the BIOS. Unfortunenatly it did not chance the outcome. It looks like it caps the frequentzy to 3900 GHZ as soon a I start. On pause it goes to 4600 GHZ and FPS goes up 20%....

I wonder if it is a problem with my MB or something else. It also happens in other games where I am CPU bottlenecking.

Its a shame as I lose so much FPS, from over 90 to 60 or less, and I cant do anything about it with settings as my GPU is barely at 89% is all cores run 4600GHZ in pause and ony 69% when I unpause and something caps my turboboost to 3900GHZ

IMG_9583.jpeg

8. Krassmus

Krassmus Gamer

Comparing this with my settings for the 10600k, I see that
    "Energy Efficient Turbo", 2 lines below the marked EIST function is at "Auto".

I have this DISABLED! Iirc, this will basically check if your core is used heavily enough to need the turbo boost.
    Since ACC can't utilize more than 4 cores to full extend BUT Windows constantly shuffles the load across ALL cores, this stupid Energy Efficient Turbo decides that the performance is not needed and throttles the turbo boosts.

My other settings:
    - MCE (Multicore Enhancement) locks ALL cores to SAME clockspeeds. So none of the cores can decide to throttle a bit when not being used, as long as ONE core is boosting.
    I had some issues with single cores dropping down to 2400 MHz in Rocket League, causing microstutters.

- Overclock is minimal. It's simply all cores boosting to 4.8 GHz instead of just one. My 10600k isn't stable at 4.9+

- Due to the fact that I only need the full performance when simracing, which barely uses more than 3 cores to full extend, I limited the power to 100W.
    So when I'm rendering a video or something like Assassin's Creed Valhalla loads the savegame, it takes a few seconds longer but my CPU won't shoot above 80°C and my cooling fans won't accelerate like crazy.

- Active Turbo Ratios could be set to auto and then 48 selected as the clock ratio in the non-advanced settings. But I played around with disabled MCE etc. and simply left it like it was then.

Attached Files:

zzjorzz likes this.
  9. zzjorzz

zzjorzz Gamer

I have a bit fewer options, because I have a b360 board, but I am going to play with you suggestions!

Krassmus likes this.
  10. Krassmus

Krassmus Gamer

Yeah disabling Energy Efficient Turbo should be the only setting that you need to change.

The rest was just for further explanation and input to think about :)

btw if you want to see EVERYTHING about this stuff, download hwinfo64.
    https://www.hwinfo.com/download/
    You can use any of the download mirrors, it's a bit confused at first... I always use the Local (US).

When starting, select "sensors only"!
    You can get more stuff in one window by clicking on the 2 arrows buttons in the bottom left. The cool thing is that it will store Minimum and Maximum, so if the CPU is throttling due to any limitation, the correct entry will jump to "Yes" as maximum.

zzjorzz likes this.
  11. Stains

Stains Simracer

Im struggling to see why my new CPU isnt boosting either.
    It is set to 5258MHz yet at 5760x1080 with res scale down to 50% it still only runs at 2270MHz on the P cores and 600MHz on the E cores yet the GPU is dropping down below 90% and FPS are only at 130??
    20221217134132_1.jpg
    This is my CPU in HWInfo while running Cinebench 23, boosts fine there.
    Screenshot (471).png

12. Krassmus

Krassmus Gamer

We need individual core clocks for this.
    Also: please set the cinebench to custom number of threads (top left, advanced) and make a cinebench run with 2 threads and take another hwinfo screenshot. Does it look similar to when racing?

Stains likes this.
  13. Stains

Stains Simracer

I'm afk atm but will do that tomorrow.
    I do know that Cinebench boost straight away to 5200MHz but no matter what i do in games I can't get it to boost past like 3GHz? I've tried quite a few games, ran them at low resolution and the GPU usage has always dropped while the CPU sits around 2 to 3GHz. I even set up Spa with 49 Ai thinking that will load the CPU but nothing changed!
    I'm going crazy here. On my old 10600k I could set it to just MCR and it would hold its boost clock even at idle, I wish I knew how to do the same with this CPU.

14. Stains

Stains Simracer

Thanks, im an idiot. I had set HWInfo to show effective clock thinking that was effectivly the current but turns out that is to quote for the developer

"The Effective frequency does not represent a particular real clock, but the average clock value where sleeping states do not contribute to clock.

So for example when a core is running: 800 MHz, 0 (sleep), 0 (sleep), 0 (sleep)

the average value (effective clock) is: (800 + 0 + 0 + 0) / 4 = 200 MHz "

Sorry for the confusion.

Krassmus likes this.