1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Fps issues, beyond a joke.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by SomeLankyGuy, Oct 25, 2015.

1. SomeLankyGuy

SomeLankyGuy Racer

Where do I start?

I suppose, first of all, I should start by saying I love this sim, the last thing I want is to come across as a moany little *****. The 1,296 hours I have racked up in AC are testament to this, so please don't take this in the wrong way. I'm genuinely hoping somebody can help me out and get me back to being able to enjoy AC, as right now, it's simply impossible.

My rig:

AMD 8320 @ 4.2 ghz, R9 280, Gigabyte 990x, Dark Rock Pro 2 cooler, G27.

I have always played the game on quite high settings, for arguments sake, we'll say, almost everything 1 step off ultra. Everything on at least 'very high', some things on 'ultra'. I know it's not the most technical explanation, but it gives you a rough idea. The game was wound up quite high. I used to see frame rates well over 100 in single player, and they were set to never drop below 60 online, except extreme circumstances, i.e 20 cars on the ring...

My frustration began with 1.3.

I loaded up an online server, using the DP2 cars around the ring. I tried a server with around 20 cars on the ring, to see how well my system handled a larger pack with the hype surrounding 64bit.

Exactly the same settings as I have used for many months... 10FPS.

Ten.

I spoke with a few others on the server, and followed various bits of advice. I turned off PP effects, wound shadows and reflections right the way down, and knocked most other settings down a notch for good effect.

By the time I got back to the same server, a few racers (or is that drivers?) had chose to leave, at this point there were around 15 online.. so with a 25% reduction in users and a HUGE drop in graphics quality, I headed back online. 12FPS.

I was concerned.

To get frames anywhere near acceptable, I had to have the graphics so low I refuse to play the game on principal.

Ever since this, I have spent more time going on a wild goose chase trying to 'fix' my PC than I have using AC.. I've cleaned it out, done all maintenance tasks I can think of, reinstalled AC, checked the integrity of the cache, physically rebuild my PC... I've even O/C'd my CPU to 5ghz, and OC'd my gpu too.

With all apps turned off, my GPU and CPU OC'd as high as I feel confident taking them, quite low graphics settings, and a mere 8 cars on the ring, I am now seeing 26FPS.

It's a slight improvement, but is still far from acceptable in my opinion.

Now, I've not played for a week due to work commitments, but after a week off I decided to use some spare time to fire up the rig! I noticed an update was downloading, so I crossed my fingers and waited patiently. Having read the patch notes, I was excited to see there was a benchmark implemented. I decided this would be my first stop once in game.

Same settings as the 26fps/8 car senario... Benchmark shows 20fps average.

Out of curiosity, I turned everything to minimum settings.. Everything, no mirrors, no smoke, no AA, no reflections, no PP, every single slider on every single tab is set to the very far left... I loaded up the benchmark... 20fps Ave.

I tried Razer Cortex as I'd seen it in another thread and wondered if my ill maintained rig may be the cause... Absolutely no improvement at all.

At that point I gave up.

What the hell is going on with AC? I'm at a point now where I'm sick of wasting time trying to solve an issue that, with all due respect, I shouldn't have.

The game ran fine. The game ran perfectly. I was happy.

What the hell has happened?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars FPS Issues -> lower Shadow quality Nov 16, 2018
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues FPS Issues Jan 27, 2017
    XBox One Discussions HUGE fps issues Aug 27, 2016
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds since Win 10 and AC 1.5 upgrade unplayable FPS with newMacPro (solved AMD drivers issues) Apr 11, 2016
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Oculus fps issues Oct 17, 2014
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Triple screen issues (fps, hdr...) Jul 1, 2014
    ACC Troubleshooting Solved: Only 10 fps when out of focus Apr 11, 2024
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Misano - skybox black flashes, graphics glitches, FPS drops Mar 10, 2024
    ACC Virtual Reality Dev's: Add Quad Views rendering to ACC for a free massive fps gain Sep 3, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals v1.9 Game fps decrease at 0 fps when I turn on the steering wheel May 11, 2023
    ACC Multiplayer lost 40fps from 1.8 in online races. Apr 20, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting v1.9 When wheel is enabled, the fps are dropping Apr 19, 2023
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues In game FPS not same with performance test FPS Apr 11, 2023
    ACC Hardware Discussions Motion not as smooth on side monitors as middle monitor - Triple Monitor Setup (with high FPS!) Mar 22, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting FPS drops after 1,5+ hour ingame Dec 11, 2022

3. Load the renderstats app & take a screencap? I'd be interested if it looks like mine .

The strange thing is I benchmarked just fine.

4. wesuperstar

wesuperstar Gamer

5. Horus

Horus Alien

Maybe add the log folder to your post as asked for by the devs? Then you will get a far more accurate guide on how to fix your problem. :)

p.s. Did you rename/zip or delete your old Assetto Corsa folder in My Docs? If not do that and set everything backup, or leave it be and just test what you get without changing a thing. I went from a stuttering nasty piece of junk to a wonderfully smooth game with just that one thing (1.3 - 1.3.2 unplayable & nasty, deleted AC folder in My Docs, installed 1.3.3 update and have had no problems since).

p.p.s. Try making a signature with your PC/AC specs/settings like posted HERE

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  6. Quffy

Quffy Alien

7. SomeLankyGuy

SomeLankyGuy Racer

Thankyou very much for the replies so far.

I'll get you the screen shot when I'm next on the PC mate, just on my phone now!

I do want to try 32 bit to see if it improves... I see many people find 32 bit better, but in the long run I'd prefer being able to make the most of my ram! Cheers for the suggestion!

Deleting the docs folder sounds like a simple thing to try, I'll have a go at that and report back. Have fixed other games like this in the past so fingers crossed!

I'm not sure which logs to post or how to find them, but I'll happily post then if somebody gives me a hand by telling me which ones :)

With regards to windows 10, I was going to do that earlier but I thought I'd post this thread first... Was worried I'd have no time to play AC if I spent the day installing a new OS (it will be my first time installing Windows so I'm sure I'll mess it up haha). I did download the 'upgrade to windows 10' tool but nothing happened after downloading it aha.

Thanks again for the advice so far everybody!

8. RENAME the folder in your documents, don't delete it - you might want your screenshots/settings etc. Logs are also in that folder. Installing an entire new OS to cope with the issues one game patch brought is somewhat ludicrous, think hard :p

9. kro

kro Simracer

For the logs , with a default install path find them in Documents/Assetto Corsa/logs

as for the win 10 installer tool , you still need to run it , so find where it downloaded to and run it if your ready to do the W10 upgrade !

good luck .. maybe you wont need to do anything if the renaming of the folder trick works ..!

Ahhh ninja'd by RD ..lol

SomeLankyGuy likes this.
  10. SomeLankyGuy

SomeLankyGuy Racer

I moved the folder to my desktop and started the game again so that it would create a new Documents folder when I started the game... assume this will have had the same effect?

It was still 19-20fps in benchmark anyway but was worth a shot!

Agree it's somewhat ludicrous but I suppose my windows 7 is getting a bit old and heavy now so perhaps it's my problem? :/

Which logs shall I upload? Do I just copy and paste?

11. SomeLankyGuy

SomeLankyGuy Racer

Perhaps mot a great question to ask, so excuse me if it's not appreciated...

My W7 is from the back of a lorry, however it still shows as 'activated' on my computer. Would I be okay to go ahead with the windows 10 update? I've read sometimes it works, but if it dosent I don't have W7 to reinstall. My friend built my PC for me you see!

12. Horus

Horus Alien

DON'T POST IN AN EXISTING THREAD, REPORTING "I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE!"
    In order to receive support, please ALWAYS zip and attach your "logs" folder, otherwise we can't help!
    You can find it in the "Assetto Corsa" folder located in your Windows Documents folder ("Documents\Assetto Corsa" path).
    PLEASE OPEN YOUR OWN THREAD!
    That's where your logs are compress them before uploading them. If you try the Win10 installer from win7 and it fails it will revert back to your Win 7. To be honest with you the amount of issues around Win 10 and drivers I would avoid it like the plague it is until next year when it might be stable and not so buggy.

P.S. Make a signature please, it helps so much.

nate likes this.
  13. Torcano

Torcano Alien

Man, I feel bad for people with performance issues as I don't seem to understand how it even goes that bad. You don't even have a bad system either, seems pretty decent. 10 fps does seem pretty horrific and it should not be the case at all... Personally I run win 7 as well, can't be arsed too upgrade to win10 as I find the hassle of dealing with a brand new OS on a gaming system is just not worth it. I'm sitting over here playing at 4k and even on triple 1440s which is far worse than 4k on a single 980 and still stay at 60 fps all day long on high settings with no issues... Although one problem I ran into a few weeks (pre v1.3) ago was my graphics card would stay at like 10% power consumption and 315 MHz clock speeds, which means it's literally doing nothing and made the game run at 10 fps. A quick search online got me to the conclusion that sometimes graphics cards go into power saving mode like absolute idiots. A quick reinstallation of the GPU drivers made the problem vanish. Your 10 fps comment made me think if your GPU is also choking on power limit, open a GPU monitoring software like msi afterburner while the game is on and see what's going on there, if your card is actually running properly or not, because it seriously sounds more like that issue rather than the game.

Louizf and SomeLankyGuy like this.
  14. What amd driver (catalyst) version do you have installed?

Inviato dal mio Nexus 6 utilizzando Tapatalk

15. SomeLankyGuy

SomeLankyGuy Racer

Thanks again for the help everybody.

I've just started the process of installing W10 so wish me luck haha! Perhaps a little hasty given your comments!

Yeah, I checked all that whilst over clicking my card, it seems to be working fine (used MSI afterburner like you say) but again, thanks for the suggestion, more the merrier!

My operating system hasn't been reinstalled in 3 years, and in that time I've gone from Nvidia to AMD amongst other things... fingers crossed this is the problem

16. SomeLankyGuy

SomeLankyGuy Racer

I installed the new Beta drivers the other day due to this issue... it didn't fix AC but it did make GTA5 run beautifully ☺

17. Torcano

Torcano Alien

Heh good luck with that, my OS is the same ever since I built my PC back in 2011, LOL. Win7 FTW, for now... Until DX12 gets implemented in games I won't bother upgrading to Win10. :D

SomeLankyGuy and Horus like this.
  18. Horus

Horus Alien

You have to force nVidia to use 'Prefer maximum performance' in nVidia control panel - Power management mode. Also I try to avoid updating graphics drivers unless I have an issue as the amount of times I have installed the latest and greatest to find it is a pile of Squirrel vomit is just nuts! As the above post states, you have everything that is necessary to run the game very nicely indeed, there will be something silly happening that is causing this issue for you.

Just a thought, maybe download the free version of Revo-uninstall and see what has been installed on your PC around the same time as the AC updates. Look for BIOS updaters, software updates and such. I had a 30kb BIOS updater from ASUS that would cause Games for Windows to fail without exception, uninstalled the useless pice of junk and GFW worked instantly. Computers can be funny things.

Salad Fingers and SomeLankyGuy like this.
  19. SomeLankyGuy

SomeLankyGuy Racer

Off topic but I have 50gb C drive for windows and 450gb D drive partition for ecwrything else...

Upgrading to W10 through the tool, will my D drive partition be unaffected?

20. SomeLankyGuy

SomeLankyGuy Racer

That's not a bad idea, thankyou Horus!

My W10 has just downloaded so will try this and get back to you, that is if I don't ruin my computer with my first ever Windows install haha

Thanks again

Horus and Quffy like this.
  21. SomeLankyGuy

SomeLankyGuy Racer

Ah well, my W10 installation failed.

My W7 is nome genuine, but did say it was activated... it's now reverted to 7 and is now saying it's none genuine, so I guess they caught me haha.

Will have to go and pick up a copy of W10 from town or something.