1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Gentlemen Sport code...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by cunnu79, May 13, 2014.

1. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

You are entiteled to turn in, yes. But if the opponent doesn't back off, you gain nothing but trouble. So common sense saves nerves :)

bigbawmcgraw and cunnu79 like this.
  2. Maxidyne

Maxidyne Hardcore Simmer

+1 to quote my favorite racing driver ever: "if you no longer go for a gap, then you no longer a racing driver"

Mirrors, mirrors and mirrors people! If somebody dives on my inside and I see that I can't defend the gap/place I give up the place. I don't shut the door and cause a crash.

bigbawmcgraw likes this.
  3. cunnu79

cunnu79 Racer

If you are "passing"(you're already in action) someone on the inside while entering a corner(you're actually in the braking zone, inside line, 1/2 car way long)...well, at this point if the other driver keeps his normal line the only result is a crash or a spin(and he knows you are there).
    Example : Head to head on a streight line, I'm on the inside for next turn (1/2 way along side), we both brake at the same time. Now, since I'm 1/2 car way long, I've have the right to try and take the inside line, and the other pilot(if he wants to finish the race) will take a more external line to avoid crash. what would you do? ram the guy?;)just kidding
    It's general for all categories, yes, maybe on open wheels should be more than 1/2, so to avoid tyres contact and airbone.
    Anyway I've got the point...maybe "at least more then 1/2 way along" for open wheels sounds better? hit me with your comments:D

4. martcerv

martcerv Alien

All comes down to who you race, just had a bit of a session with some local guys on a locked server and 5 races with qualy and had zero contact with some good close battles all round. Even on public servers I just give everyone plenty of room and only make passes when plenty of room and hardly have had issues. Use your mirrors and be aware of everyone as the only car you can control is yours, not much you can do about the others.

cunnu79 likes this.
  5. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

The question is, how to define the rule, 1/2 or full along side the car to be overtaken on the inside. I would state clearly full side on TIP, that's the safest way to go.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  6. KingPin

KingPin Racer

As i said it´s not forbidden and maybe it marks the best ones to take the risk but this also requires a lot of skill!
    If you screw up you´re to blame! You can not demand that the overtaken car steps aside in this situation!
    It´s (mostly) the duty of the overtaking car to avoid an incident when overtaking!

Last but not least, the title is gentlemen sport code....and i don´t think Senna was a gentleman (at least on the track;) ...and of course in real hard racing you should not be ;-)

7. KingPin

KingPin Racer

btw you forgot something important in your quote:
    "And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, we are competing to win."
    and also this he said along with the other:
    "Sometimes you get it wrong? Sure, it's impossible to get it right all the time"

So don´t take it as excuse for bloodcurdling manoeuvres where you thought "but i would have been at the apex first" ;-)

Maxidyne likes this.
  8. cunnu79

cunnu79 Racer

I think Senna was the "Gentleman", did a lot for security and safety in F1, ok with Prost was a killer, but he was always working on rules like these, and was the first to argue with Balestre or a pilot for risky manovers, think of the chat Senna and Shumacher had, epic.
    Just to comment:)

9. KingPin

KingPin Racer

Ok, sorry for that then...i´m no Senna expert to be honest.

just heard he took some risky manoeuvres himself ;-)

I know he is a legend and i am a fan myself ...and racing then was really much more risking your live ...obviously :(

cunnu79 likes this.
  10. cobra188d

cobra188d Gamer

This ^^^ is good. Also, don't always drive the fastest car that's available. Drive the slowest car and see what it's like getting passed, having to plan ahead to be passed etc....

11. Jack_NL

Jack_NL Simracer

I think it was a gentleman agreement in the GTR 1 time when driving online

little OT but:
    Senna calls Prost a coward :) (from 2:48)

cunnu79 and Maxidyne like this.
  12. mangal

mangal Hardcore Simmer

If I may, I have a suggestion for addition, based on how (I hope) we want to be open to new drivers who are still learning:

"Drive at the speed you are comfortable with and allows you to maintain control over your car. Rather drive at 90% of your hotlap speed and keep it on track, than to be 2-3 secs faster on a single lap, but crashing out/spinning on the next. The more you control your vehicle, the safer and predictable you are to other drivers on track."

I will admit that this is against my personal interest, as I am probably slower than most on this forum, but I keep ending up in decent positions by simply passing crashed cars. Maybe I should create a tortoise skin for the Evora GTC to race in... :D

13. cunnu79

cunnu79 Racer

Some say...

14. rge75

rge75 Simracer

Bailey and cunnu79 like this.
  15. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Funny site. Here's for the loons to get inspiration. :cool:

16. Seanspeed

Seanspeed Hardcore Simmer

Senna was a prat on the track. This is honestly the worst attitude you can take and while I understand idolizing Senna for some things, his conduct on-track was not one of them.

You don't just attack a gap because its there. There is a whole litany of circumstances that need to be taken into consideration. I've seen this excuse bandied about for hopeless divebombs that result in contact. "Oh, you left the door open!" No I didn't. I knew damn well you were waaaay too far back to try and attempt a pass so I rightly dismissed the idea of needing to defend in favour of taking the ideal racing line.

The only time you dive up the inside of somebody from anywhere more than halfway alongside is if you're supremely confident that you are much better on the brakes than they are. Even then, if you judge it wrong and you find yourself braking hard and t-boning a car already in the process of turning-in, the blame will be on you. Its a risky move even in the best of times. For your average driver, its something that should be regularly discouraged.

17. Shrubbo

Shrubbo Simracer

Had a guy lose it and then jump back on and take me out. He pulled over down the track and let me pass. I really need to write those names down because those people rock, gave him a toot on the way bye then crashed out on the next lap...forgot to take the super slicks off the GT3 :)

barrelbreak likes this.
  18. barrelbreak

barrelbreak Racer

Yes, a system to give someone sportsmanship points or something like I've seen in other MP games would be great.

Just did my first ever simrace tonight, just 10 minute qual and 5 lap race on silverstone-int with a mixed field of BMWs, mostly GR.a, myself included. Other than a first corner pileup at the start of the race, everyone acted very cordially, pulling aside to let faster drivers through, staying off the track until clear, etc. I'd particularly like to have thanked one guy in quals who pulled off the track altogether when I was nipping at his heels in the S leading to the back straight.
    (Qualified third, finished second, would have been happy anywhere on the board though!)

cunnu79 likes this.
  19. plucka

plucka Racer

Good post by the OP, unfortunately most of those that need to read this won't.

FishforRent and cunnu79 like this.
  20. Maxidyne

Maxidyne Hardcore Simmer

Just look at the videos of Senna and you know what I mean. Yes he and Prost did BOTH do some things that was not really sportsmanlike, but it was in the heat of the battle. Senna's actions on the track where magnificent, nowadays you would get a black flag for that. The car control, judgment of situations, lighting fast reaction times.

I got an racing license but I'm not a professional racing driver, if you read my post properly you see that I give up a place if somebody goes for the gap. I don't defend it to the last drop of blood. Because I use my mirrors, this was one of the first things I learned at the racing school. Mirrors, mirrors and mirrors! I know when i'm slower then the other driver, I give a fight, but if I over do it and leave a gap due to that, I don't shut the door on you and cause a crash. I never tried to drive like Senna, because i'm not him and don't have the skills. Senna: A demon at the wheel but an articulate, humble and incredibly generous man outside of the car.

The point you make is valid with the gap thing, that's why you need to assess the situation. Don't just dive in it. If you race with equal minded people you can race on the edge. But with an mixed field of driver experience where most people don't look in their mirrors and when they do, close the door, and accidents happen. Frustration builds up and you get arguments about each other driving style. Going for a gap; yes this type of racing dangerous in a amateur race.

I have always been a fan of Senna, watch F1 since 1990. I don't idolize him, nobody is perfect. He also did things that weren't his most finest moments in life, but everybody has that. But if you are a true motorsports fan, you got to recognize that he was a master behind the wheel. If you like him or not.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
    Shrubbo, Nahkamarakatti and cunnu79 like this.