1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Is there too much traction on AC? Comparison with real driving experience

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Fab456m, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Bigbazz

Bigbazz Racer

Speaking of Chris Harris, I was watching one of his new vids earlier.

Chris is 1.5seconds off the pace, which is pretty impressive and it's obvious he's a very good driver. Either way, this M3 DTM car in particular has incredible performance, high cornering speeds and very short braking distances.

2. JesperGB

JesperGB Gamer

It could be very interesting to heat what the devs says about all this.

I think when reading all previously what the devs have said: this will be the level of grip to replicate the thing that a race car is easy to drive.

I am also one who have been at some trackdays in various cars. And most of them were easy to drive but then i tried an opel speedster turbo and it was a beast and was dangerous. I had to counter steer it al the time and i also lost it twice with too much throttle. and it was on a hot 26 c sum****ay. This car only has a 250 hp engine

So i agree some cars needs a bit mire wildness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. SimMan

SimMan Racer

Maybe it's the case that all cars & tracks are in perfect conditions with their tires riding at optimum ?
    Thus giving a fairly easy experience even during fast laps

Even in good conditions a small mistake can be punished in the real world but not so much currently in AC

If this is the case I hope less favourable conditions will appear in AC this would make the experience a lot more interesting for me & perhaps a longer lasting appeal

Was hoping Stowe (silver stones infield circuit) was going to be in update tomorrow )-:

4. Bigbazz

Bigbazz Racer

Regarding how cars are at the edge, vs a few seconds off the pace.

Lets take an example of the BMW M3 GT2 at Imola. The majority of decent drivers I've seen are lapping in the 1:43-1:44, and the really fast guys doing 1:42's or even 1:41. Now when I lap at this speed (1:44) the car feels very very easy to drive, I could do it all day and night, but as I start to really push it gets a lot more difficult. When you're down into the 1:41's the car is on a knife edge that is so fine and it is very difficult to drive the car at this pace, through the mid sector the tiniest flaw will send you offtrack, there is absolutely no room for error. The difference in difficulty to drive this car in the 1:42's compared to the 1:44's is really big, but getting into the 1:41's is on another scale.... The difficulty ramps up massively at the edge, even though the car is very easy to drive just a few seconds slower, the final 0.5s between a 1:41.8 and a 1:42.3 are like different worlds, and a 1:41.8 is easy compared to a 1:41.5.

And you check the real life laptimes and the Assetto Corsa car falls right into the pocket. a 1:41 might seem slightly too fast.. But then we have infinite attempts, we have as many tyres as we want and we don't have to pay for repairs, I can pull it off in Assetto Corsa but in real life it would be risking the car too much and I would need to get it perfect on my first try... So many limiting factors that come into play in the real world are removed in the simulator. And yet the laptimes are very close to the real world numbers.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  5. Avoletta

Avoletta Simracer

How difficult can it be to stabilize the car in a low speed corner and go WOT before the apex?
    This can be done also by drivers unable to go below 31 at Vallelunga but still says a lot about how physics are modeled...

6. Avoletta

Avoletta Simracer

Btw I can confirm that hidden aids are present depending on the controller used. On my laptop with keyboard it is impossible to spin the tires also with tcs fully disabled.
    Maybe the same apply for steering wheels without clutch pedal such as my DFP.
    BTW it's unbelievable how badly old peripherals are supported in AC.
    In rFactor2 and GSC2013 I just plug the controller and the FFB is unbelievably good without major adjustments. In AC I spent most of the time by changing profiler or in game parameters and the FFB is still very rough... (not to talk about the terrible throttle management).

SimMan likes this.
  7. SimMan

SimMan Racer

Maybe it is an hardware thing, some people say how wonderful AC is & others are confused by these opinions

8. Bigbazz

Bigbazz Racer

When you're talking about "impossible to spin tyres" you should always state what car you're talking about + the tyres you're driving on. How can we relate to anything you say if you're not being specific with important factors?

Using my G27 I have to do more adjustment to get the FFB to my liking in Rfactor 2 than I do in Assetto Corsa (it is almost default, a little slip effect and 90% gain) and the brake + throttle response is very crisp. I also don't find Assetto Corsa to be more grippy than Rfactor 2, unless we're talking a completely green circuit where in Rfactor 2 can sometimes be like driving on banana skins, though the RF2 60s F1 cars are more wobbly. Take into account that Rfactor 2 has been in development for years and started out very very rough in many different areas (physics, ffb and graphics), something that took a long time to address. Assetto Corsa has been out for less than 1 month and is already in many ways a highly polished sim/game, with updates and fixes going out at a very fast pace.

I tried Assetto Corsa with my PS3 gamepad (running Xbox 360 emulation) and was easily able to get the tyres to spin up in the Zonda R, and infact opted to turn the cars built-in traction control on for my gamepad play to prevent wheelspin. Experiences will vary, driving the 458 with the G27 wheel the issue is often trying to get the wheels to stop spinning up as the thing is like a wild beast with anything close to a heavy foot.. Very fun though!.

Cote Dazur likes this.
  9. Avoletta

Avoletta Simracer

On the laptop I tested the E30 with 90s tires and no driving assists. It was so bad to drive that I immediately uninstalled the game after two laps at Magione.

SimMan likes this.
  10. JamesYZN

JamesYZN Racer

11. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

I bet it was tires on that speedster giving you troubles/fun (based on you look at it)
    if you put on wide slicks, it would have limitless grip

agree, simulator should simulate real life, not do it the way that old sim games did it

UOPshadow likes this.
  12. Backmarker

Backmarker Racer

That guy!?
    That's the guy who did the awful review of Iracing at the same site! LOL IIBC, he had a huge iracing chip on his shoulder because he was banned from the service (rightly or wrongly I do not know...). His review had some good points, critiques, and comments but was bogged down and lost in all of his complaining about the service. imho,ymmv :rolleyes:

maybe he has matured since that iracing review? I will read his commentary with a bit of trepidation... :p

13. JamesYZN

JamesYZN Racer

Wrongly suspended; let's just say iRacing simulates the politics of motorsports better than the actual racing. Some people can't take losing, so they gang up with the admins and those who are seen as a threat to their clique are promptly removed.

Also, the review had been started before the suspension took place.

14. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

then it's really true simulation of racing, including the politics :) (and also the cost)
    what an achievement!

15. UOPshadow

UOPshadow Gamer

It's a well rounded and thoughtful article.

16. TheDyingScotsman

TheDyingScotsman Hardcore Simmer

Greger Huttu doesn't (at least didn't he may have one now) have a driver's license :)

xystof likes this.
  17. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

Ethan Dean likes this.
  18. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

But there are varying degrees of real life experience. Personally I would add more weight to David Hornsey's opinion than someone who has a few track day's under his belt.
    I have had a few track days too, mainly Formula Ford at Knockhill amongst other cars. Would you value anything I said regarding the handling of AC's Formula Abarth or any other car for that matter? No of course you would not. Apples and Oranges. But when someone makes a living from driving sports/race cars they of course will have much more experience than the person who visits a track one a month.
    One area on this issue of grip where I can comment with some authority, is the grade of asphalt used for race tracks. I have worked in the concrete and asphalt production industry for over 20 years and the one thing I can say without doubt is that asphalt used for race tracks is an entirely different grade to that used on public roads (in the UK anyway) and I think this is why some people think some cars "just can't have that much grip!". On the right surface, yes they probably can.

19. xystof

xystof Hardcore Simmer

I'm using DFP and everything works brilliantly. I just plug it in, and magic happens - it works "unbelievably good without major adjustments".

And trying keyboard without any aids is you know... not very bright, to say at least. Do you drive real car with keyboard cursors???
    Moreover - I'd say something is very wrong with the game if all the aids are off, you are in pro mode, and you still can drive the car brilliantly well with keyboard! That's ridiculous how people are trying to find 'NAY' for the game.
    Aris wrote somewhere that game was designed is such way that keyboard should always work with assists. And IMO that's very good solution.

Cote Dazur likes this.
  20. Avoletta

Avoletta Simracer

I have no interest AT ALL in driving anything with the keyboard. I was only thinking if some strange behavior I notice in AC could be related to the same hidden assists on old wheels such as our DFP.

If you want, it would be very helpful to have the settings you use in both profiler and game for the DFP. Thank you very much!