1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Minorating.com (drivers thread)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Minolin, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Let's try this and follow the route. Maybe there's a good idea involved.

The reason behind the N grade is this:

@Parminio Do you have an idea how we can minimize the drawbacks of those "first-laps" oscillations?

2. Parminio

Parminio Simracer

How many new player servers are actually populated? (One)

How many new players are you seeing continue playing? (Who knows?)

Here's the problem with all of your arguments: You continually admit to the issue, but write it off as not being significant.

The reason you do that is: You're not new. So you don't care. That's all there is to it. I care because I just went through it, realize how useless and worthless it is, and had rather not have anybody else ever have to go through it like I did. That's why I would like to see a change: to welcome new players and give them opportunities to grow in the game; not be limited to one server of complete idiots that can't figure out where the brake pedal is or how to actually turn right.

3. Berry

Berry Alien

It could work, offering new players the benefit of doubt, but then you'd have to rework the system to drop them to "C" very fast if they aren't up to par with B and A ratings in a few races.I think the system works well, the starting issue is minimal to non-existant, but then I didn't ever have to go through anything lower than A, so I don't know how awful it can be.Is it actually worth investing the time into this matter for a niggle? Clean drivers will shine eventually and get a B rating, even on AB servers I've seen plenty of drivers who can't drive worth sh1t, let alone race, so there's that as well...

TDS likes this.
  4. MarcM

MarcM Simracer

Talking about the single most important mod/app in Assetto Corsa :(.

And yes, compared to the situation before minorating, yes, your issues are insignificant. Being new you cant know this, but in the beginning ALL servers were like that horrible one you mention. I didn't race online for the first couple of years at all because it was that bad. The world is not perfect now but, if there is a solution, take Minolin up on his question in the post above yours.

You obviously think we are idiots who can't read or understand basic english. Therefore I'm going to quit reading this discussion. Good luck.

Ace Pumpkin, chksix, Schnipp and 4 others like this.
  5. demetri

demetri Hardcore Simmer

The reason that N drivers need to be separated can be easily seen here: http://www.minorating.com/Stats
    Look at CP/km ratios graph. It is clear that N drivers in average are much worse than C, so you should not mix them in the same class. And this actually matches my own observations. Whenever Helicorsa shows me that an N driver is nearby I have to go into full alert mode because the vast majority of those folks are unpredictable and are almost as bad as D class. There's whooping 1/3 of all drivers still being in N class. Something tells me that those are most likely not really into online simracing seriously, they probably bought the game because it is inexpensive and has some cool cars like Porsches, Lambos and Ferraris, immediately went online and joined the most populous server, wrecked a bunch of guys, spun out the track in every corner and then left to never come back.
    I understand that for a decent simracer the need to grind (though driving 15-20 minutes to put 40 km on odometer can hardly be called grinding - compare that to iRacing rookie class if you want) through N could be frustrating, but believe me that it is much more frustrating when you're not being able to keep dangerous types out of reach of your server.

Ace Pumpkin, chksix, Hagen and 3 others like this.
  6. TDS

TDS Alien

damnnn i had forgot that charts.

aloog 0 - 9.149.665 kms recorded
    aloog 1 - 1.190.176 kms
    aloog 2 - 602.582 kms
    aloog 4 - 572.603 kms
    aloog 5 - 392.728 kms
    aloog 6 - 899.377 kms

Total kms on aloog servers - 12.807.131

@bigbawmcgraw
    Almost 13 ****ing Millions, thats crazy.
    jeez !

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    LeiF likes this.
  7. Hagen

Hagen Hardcore Simmer

I have been on "the only one" (silverstone/bmw1m/abcn) server.
    http://www.minorating.com/DriverInfo?mrid=2388652388
    I did 3 races (21km each) and 3 qualis.
    Races had 32, 11 and 48% attack range.
    Field of approx. 20 cars
    My bonus points: well not even a full point. (0.8 contact points)

*edit I just wanted to know what it is like, will test more N servers as time permits.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  8. Pretend racer

Pretend racer Hardcore Simmer

I'm new to the pc world and discovered minorrating by jumping on the BMW server. It's pretty much the only server that has a street car available to drive on a track that's not the nords.

I have spent the majority of my online time there because it's just a ton of fun to slide that car around, dodging newbies, passing someone or being passed every lap.

only took a few races to get to an a/b grade. At least that's what says I am when I jump into the BMW server.

Rolz and TDS like this.
  9. Stereo

Stereo Alien

I guess it might be worth discussing restricting the ways servers can be set up, so for example if a server allows C or D it must allow N, and only have "ranges" of server (AB, ABCN, ABCDN, ABCDNW, DW), which I think is how iRacing's ratings work... but the N's not the same group of people as C so giving them the same rating is confusing. And then do you include them with C or D drivers? (AB ABC ABCDN or AB ABCN ABCDN)

Really I think it's more productive to find ways to encourage AB rated drivers into the CN rated servers... Obviously you don't want to do something like "collisions with N drivers don't count" cause that would breed wreckers who get their B rating and then hunt Ns but maybe there's something you can do to encourage it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    TDS likes this.
  10. TDS

TDS Alien

street fight MR [AB] search it ;-) very good selections of street cars in 3 dif servers.

11. TDS

TDS Alien

its a valid point..(i think it has been discussed before if im not mistaken), but like in aloog 6 nords when setup for trackdays is ABC , and letting a N there is kinda strange, not really the best track for a N right out of the bat. And aloog 6 for sunday events is AB .
    So the option to have ABC is still valid in that case, imo.

12. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

I have a weird feeling towards ABCN servers. Apart from the official Kunos servers, where ok you need the newcomers to be able to join (official server), but what's the point of ABCN?

To me these four combinations are the only ones that make sense in the logic of offering 3-4 degrees of safe racing:

A servers (is that even possible?) = only the safest public servers drivers.
    AB servers = safe drivers, safe racing. No newbies (C,N), no unsafe drivers (D), no wreckers (W).
    ABC servers = average safe racing for "filtered" newcomers (from N to C) or people demoted from B, with more potential participants. No unsafe drivers (D) and no potential or verified deliberate wreckers (N and W).
    ABCDN servers = entry level racing. No safe racing, open to newcomers, but at least no verified wreckers (W).

ABCN instead seems a bit weird: you want to guarantee some degree of safe racing (no D) but then you let in the newcomers (N) who may be unsafe or wreckers. Doesn't make much sense to me.
    Other combinations like CD or similar also do not make much sense to me, why exclude AB?

Andy-R and Jack Bancroft like this.
  13. Rolz

Rolz Alien

As someone who runs ABCN servers, my theory was I wanted all but D and W because they were there worst and not worthy of participating on my servers. :D

14. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

Yes but by allowing N you expose the server to new D and new W in the making. Which means you are not making the server "safer". At this point ABC is much better, because it guarantees a medium-level safety.

My idea is that Minolin should give limited choice:

• AB = top safety
    • ABC = middle safety
    • ABCDN = entry level safety
    and stop. Otherwise the very purpose of Minorating gets a bit lost and we see these servers set up in the weirdest ways.

kofotsjanne likes this.
  15. Rolz

Rolz Alien

Yes, but i work on giving newbies the benefit of the doubt... probably the core reason of why we have N to start with.

Also Australia has low numbers of AC racers so the more the merrier ;)

Schnipp, liakjim, Hagen and 1 other person like this.
  16. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

Haha of course you're the boss of your own server, I am just saying that ABCN is more or less as safe as ABCDN so I don't see the point.
    If I care about Minorating and I am grade C, I don't want to race with N. I want to race with C and AB to improve my rating. Otherwise I just go to a non-Minorating server.
    If I am a newcomer or an unsafe driver I start from the entrance, which is ABCDN, then when I am C I go up. Mixing up things just makes everybody unhappy.

At the moment the only safe servers are AB. If you are C or you get demoted to C you're in hell because you have to fend yourself against N or D. Only if you have ABC servers you give C people (who are a lot) a chance to have decent racing and make some progress.

@Minolin your thoughts on this? I say ABCDN -> ABC -> AB are the only clear three steps of safe public racing in AC each of them guaranteeing a clear degree of safety.

Rolz likes this.
  17. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

Surely, if MR is a safety rating intended to create safer servers, players should be encouraged into AB servers? It isnt like a performance/skill based system where the elite just race the elite. It's like a baseline, if you can keep your car on the track and have atleast a nugget of empathy you will be AB. The big problem with that i'd say is people not knowing about MR and racing in bad servers lowering their rating and new players having to work their way up on servers with bad players which I guess is what you are addressing... but if you encourage AB players to race on CDN dont we essentially have no MR and no incentive (for the less empathetic folk that need it) to race like decent human beings and strive to be in the more enjoyable and safe AB servers?

I agree about certain grade combos not being allowed though. Im sure Minolin has said quite a few times he wishes he had done this early on... and there was that MR lobby idea.

Hagen likes this.
  18. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Are you crazy?! :D
    I'm 100% with you, it was a huge mistake not to control the possible grades (and also enforce that the server name matches the grading). I also agree that there are combinations that don't make too much sense.

But ABCDN? No way. Split it to ABCD (~= rehabilitation) and ABN (entry level) and you got me.
    Imagine you are D and want to grade up. You are not only driving with other C and Ds, but adding Ns is a huge trouble. But *much* more important: You want any N driver have his first steps without drivers that may be a risk. This applies to all 3 kinds of Ns:
    - the experienced simracer (we want to keep him!)
    - the newbie (we want him to see good examples, not bad ones)
    - the D-driver (many of them just don't know and will adjust when given advice)

The only reason for ABCDN is to increase numbers on that server, but this a) doesn't work out anyways and b) is not a good trade imho.

LeiF, TDS and Guidofoc like this.
  19. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

It makes sense (o master) but consider this: you have ABN servers where newcomers drive like just a few laps, the moment they turn C what happens, they cannot enter the server any more? Maybe they are enjoying racing with some other guys. Also it's not that easy to explain to a server admin who just cares about the safety level/number of racers ratio he wants on his server. Three is a magic number :D.

Otherwise there should be some "official" ABN servers always open, where newcomers must go first to pass the driving test. Then after passing the test they have ABCD/ABC and then AB on the standard servers. But this would make it easier for intentional wreckers to first get to C and then bring havoc on the safer servers. I prefer ABCDN (entry level safety) to ABC (medium safety) to AB (high safety).

Minolin likes this.
  20. V8_KB

V8_KB Alien

In the ideal world I see N grade allowed only with AB, not on their own, not with C, D, W and only 1 server being set to ABN. That would prevent from spreading Ns across different servers, especially since AC is out for a while (so is MR) and demand for N rated people is probably lower. I'm sure Minolin has all the stats about that, but back to ideal world. On that one and only ABN server there would be mixed cleanest drivers with drivers that are often new to simracing in general or just new to AC. And need some tips either about driving fast or clean or both, also some info about MR. All that knowledge would come from the experienced guys on the server. And I agree that you would have toencourage AB drivers somehow. But I don't have any good solution for that. Like stereo said giving them no CP for collisions with Ns might get wrong kind of AB drivers in. Ideally they shouldn't need any motivation to join Ns but yeah... ;)

Well I think I already talked about that idea in the past.