1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

New virtual mirror adjustment

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Chazz Ranger, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Chazz Ranger

Chazz Ranger Alien

For those who dislike the new virtual mirror FOV:

assettocorsa/system/cfg/assetto_corsa.ini

[MIRRORS]
    Change FOV=10 to somewhere between 20 and 30, depending on preference.

More realistic and useful FOV, similar to pre-v.1.1, provides better opponent vehicle awareness, esp for those of us using bonnet cam.

norbs, Robin_NL and Bailey like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC User Interface Move Virtual Mirror Aug 10, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality Virtual Mirror in VR Jun 1, 2022
    ACC User Interface Option to disable car mirros but maintain virtual mirror only Mar 13, 2022
    ACC User Interface Can't see virtual mirror Sep 19, 2021
    ACC User Interface Virtual Mirror has to be Resetet every Newstart Sep 8, 2021
    ACC Gameplay Virtual mirror in helmet view Mar 27, 2021
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Virtual rear view mirror Mar 19, 2021
    ACC User Interface Suggestion: Virtual Mirror enabled in Hotlap Feb 2, 2021
    ACC User Interface Suggestion: Virtual mirror on/off setting per car Nov 22, 2020
    Console Lounge Virtual mirror Nov 10, 2020
    ACC User Interface Add option to change the virtual mirror FOV Sep 24, 2020
    Console Lounge Virtual mirror off? Sep 5, 2020
    ACC Gameplay Virtual mirror car distance Aug 17, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting Virtual mirror Aug 17, 2020
    ACC User Interface Virtual Mirror missing with Projection Correction Aug 8, 2020

3. What was the previous setting?

4. Chazz Ranger

Chazz Ranger Alien

Not sure, but I'd guess maybe 35-38

5. offcorsa

offcorsa Simracer

so far I like the new setting. the car behind actually 'looks' like its right behind you now. before it looked like he was many meters farther away than he actually was.

6. Chazz Ranger

Chazz Ranger Alien

I liked it better at first as well, but quickly found it difficult to see opponent cars anywhere other than DIRECTLY behind, and really reduced spatial awareness of other vehicles for me. Unless you're using cockpit view, you don't have side view mirrors, so you need to rely on the virtual mirror for better car awareness - having one vehicle completely fill the rear view kinda defeats the purpose. I found setting FOV between 20-30 gives a good balance, not to narrow and not too wide. Original FOV for the virtual mirror was just under 40 I believe.
    I will say though, the new setting does a good job of giving you that panicky "OMG that car is RIGHT on my ***!" feeling :eek:

7. Tundra

Tundra Hardcore Simmer

Looking for further realism while driving from bonnet cam... OK ;) For your info, a properly set FOV from cockpit cam feels much better than bonnet cam, give it a try.
    As in everything, there must be balance. Virtual mirror FOV pre 1.1 has been long critized. Kunos take those comments into account, and modify it; what's more, there is even a file to change it at anyone's taste.

By the way, have you tried the app "Helicorsa"?

8. Epocx

Epocx Alien

I like the actual setting but a bit less whide angle maybe.
    it sometimes looks like its a distored mirror like that cars do not look like in real life, might be the low FOV.
    If this setting is actual FOV like in photography 10 is ultra wide angle.

Trying 20 now :D

9. Chazz Ranger

Chazz Ranger Alien

Not like photography FOV, the setting is pretty much the opposite - lower is narrow and higher is wide angle. If you want the old setting but with a bit less wide angle, try 25-30 :)

Epocx likes this.
  10. Epocx

Epocx Alien

oh, no, i dont want wider angle, rather a little bit less.

11. Chazz Ranger

Chazz Ranger Alien

Yup, the setting is opposite to actual camera FOV. The original FOV before v1.1 was somewhere around 38 I believe. If you want FOV less wide than that (but wider than the new FOV in v1.1), I'd go 25-30. I set mine to 28, I agree the old mirror FOV was a bit wide, but I feel the new FOV isn't wide enough.

12. offcorsa

offcorsa Simracer

I actually like bonnet cam. as that's where I look, at the road. I never actually look at my steering wheel when I drive, sure it is in my peripheral sight but I don't actually 'see' it. I find in cockpit view the a-pillars take up too much screen. A properly set FOV the side mirrors are gone anyway, unless you have triples. and yes it is nice to see in the virtual mirror a closer representation to how close the car actually is.

have seen the helicorsa app, have considered it, haven't tried it yet. the red proximity arrows work fine for me. as well as generally being 'aware'.

Chazz Ranger likes this.
  13. iamDavid

iamDavid Racer

totally agree with you, mate..;)

14. Tundra

Tundra Hardcore Simmer

But you know the point, ideal FOV should be indepent of the number of screens. This is my FOV setting (pic from october 2014)

[​IMG]

No dashboard, no virtual wheel, no A pillars. Depending on the car, sometimes the upper side of the windshield appears or not. That's why I said cockpit cam can be useful and similar to bonnet cam.

Sorry slighty offtopic post.

Champion Hero and Cote Dazur like this.
  15. ouvert

ouvert Alien

just like in your real car .. your rearview mirror is little bit curved so it covers wider area .. and things apear smaller -> further away ..

16. shiftA

shiftA Racer

For my monitor resolution and FOV setting I changed from the default setting of 10 to 5 and the cars look just where I'd expect to see them ...... shaaweeet!

17. offcorsa

offcorsa Simracer

wow, that's not too far off what bonnet cam looks like.

Chazz Ranger likes this.
  18. Chazz Ranger

Chazz Ranger Alien

For your info, I'm not looking for further realism. I drive bonnet cam because I want the most enjoyable AC experience I can get, and what "feels" better for you doesn't for me. "Ideal" FOV is relative. I've played endlessly with cockpit FOV and never been happy with it, it actually feels LESS immersive for me. Cockpit view may be more realistic for some, but as I've said many times before, more realistic doesn't mean better or more enjoyable. Anyway, if I want absolute realism, I'll drive my real car :D
    For me, with only a single monitor, the sense of speed that bonnet cam gives feels the most enjoyable. And to paraphrase someone here on the forum (can't remember who), I'm not about to waste valuable screen real estate on a static view of the interior of a car. Anyway, as offcorsa said above, your cockpit FOV is so close to bonnet cam that your argument is almost moot o_O

Cue the hardcore simracer "Cockpit View Realism Or Death!" responses in 4... 3... 2...

Yes... we know... this is exactly what this entire post has been about, the ini file that can modify the virtual mirror FOV to anyone's taste. Did you read my original post?

Jebus and Nasos Charalampou like this.
  19. ouvert

ouvert Alien

what would be great is to have optional virtual side mirrors too .. like in GSC .. with single screen and playable (rather low) FOV settings you don`t get to see mirrors in majority of cars .. and adding mirrors FOV slider to view app wouldn`t do any harm ..

Chazz Ranger likes this.
  20. Tundra

Tundra Hardcore Simmer

Ideal FOV is not relative, there is only one single correct FOV for any determinate setup. Screen size and eye-screen distance are the variables. Sense of speed is overated, in these days of wide GoPro alike lens, people seem to be misunderstanding the effect.
    My point about bonnet cam is, the side of the screen show distorted images, making it difficult to drive close battle racing with other cars, and even measuring distance to corners and track's width.
    The only sim I have driven using that view is RBR.

We both agree on wasting screen space on cars' interior. And bear in mind I have an external display, I don't need apps or seeing the dashboard; and what's more, I use TrackIR to look at the apexes or around.

The latter part of your post, it seems I didn't have enough command of English to make myself clear. I thank Kunos modified old virtual mirror FOV.

Cote Dazur and Chazz Ranger like this.
  21. Tundra

Tundra Hardcore Simmer

Yes, but no distorsion here ;)

Cote Dazur likes this.