1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Official ac leaderboard

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Housemania, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Housemania

Housemania Gamer

I saw already there is suggestion thread close to this one, but it didn't went well. My points of having this implemented in the game:

- Having various APPS for recording laps of drivers won't be needed anymore (most people don't even install them and other for their reasons are not using them in purpose.) Some of those APPs become really popular, this means the community wants them and making it official and as feature will improve the gameplay of the sim.
    - Minor changes in the tyremodel and physics which affect lap times won't be a problem anymore, because with each new version the laps will be recorded on a new leaderboard.
    - Implementing official AC Leaderboard as feature will make the game more competitive, interesting and rewarding, because it will give benchmarks to anybody who goes hot lapping or racing, and others driving for records will have a field for competition (many people stop setting records on 3rd party apps, because they don't see any point, no goals to chase)
    - This is a very good way to make the sim a lot more interesting and to motive people to improve and learn. We all know some other sims have that as a feature, which i'm sure anybody who tried it, likes it. And that's what motorsport is for, competition and for drivers who likes this ( i'm pretty sure most do, thats why you are here), this feature is really crucial.

I can say a couple of more reasons why this is good for the sim, but i'm sure you get my point.

I am not giving any suggestions how this should be made exactly, because if Kunos is interested in making it, they will find a good way to do it and get feedback from the community to make it how they like it. For this to happen people have to show to Kunos they want it (make this thread viral :) ).

P.S Even though i saw somewhere someone saying that Kunos will never implement such a thing ( i might read it wrong - find official statement of it), i don't see any reasons why it shouldn't be implemented, yes it will take some resource and time to be made and storage and resources to keep the times and might some people abuse it (this always happens in life) but for me that's not good reasons to not have this as feature in a such well-made racing sim!

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Console Lounge Unofficial console leaderboard uploading problem Feb 3, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Official leaderboards / hotlap rankings request Mar 15, 2018
    Console Lounge Unofficial Leaderboard Oct 8, 2016
    ACC General Discussions An official Assetto Corsa discord server please. (iracing, raceroom, and gt7 has one) Mar 16, 2024
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room ACC Official Server higher requirement Jan 30, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Create Public Server, or Class Specific Official Servers Dec 3, 2023
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars How to get official Ferrari 296 livery Nov 26, 2023
    ACC General Discussions Can we get an official announcement on the servers constantly crashing? Nov 4, 2023
    ACC Gameplay Grid Composition in Official Championships Jul 19, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions The Official GT World Challenge game... Mar 4, 2022
    ACC Multiplayer Wrecker in Official server Jan 2, 2022
    ACC User Interface Own Livery in Race [trying to use custom skin in official event] Nov 9, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Official Release Date For GT4 On Console? Sep 21, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer if xbox gets pages and pages of official servers why can't pc use more for better organised racing? Aug 9, 2020
    ACC General Discussions 911gt3 cup and lamborghini ST official liveries Jul 15, 2020

3. Running the RSR board has become something very close to a full time job for the RSR guys; there is a reason that Kunos didn't implement an official leaderboard from the get-go and that same reason is why one won't happen now.

You gave the exact reason why it won't happen right here:
    Now I am going to assume that you are new here and don't know that Kunos is an extremely tiny dev team. There are less than 10 full time devs that are responsible for 90% of the game. Resources and time are the two things that they have absolutely none of.

Horus likes this.
  4. dauntless

dauntless Alien

I think online leaderboards is a very good idea. Not only is it a common thing on consoles but it can add lots of longevity in the sim. Gran turismo 5 for example had seasonal events which I'm sure kept loads of people playing the game and as such created and maintained enough interest to sell more dlc and have buzz about the game going on.

Of course nothing is free but such is life. Different paths of development produce different outcomes. Online unfortunately has been one of the least developed things in ac which is sad because when properly utilized it can create lots of momentum for the game itself. People who are not playing generally don't spend money on the game. If assetto corsa had some kind of seasonal events it might create a completely new group of players who keep playing ac instead of leaving it.

It doesn't really need to be that difficult. A server mode which allows hoster to host their server in specific mode which allows players to join and do a lap time or race against ai in controlled environment (the server only checksums your car and track and records the lap times) and then gives you a steam achievement and shows your lap time in comparison to other people at RSR for example. If kunos made small investment on RSR and provided the tools it would not even need to be a huge thing to develop. And doing such thing would even allow us players to host their own competition leaderboard servers. Gplrank for example surely added many years to the lifespan of the game itself and definitely would have had major positive impact had gpl2 came out some day.

After all the only thing the leaderboard server needs to do is checksum your car and track, make sure you are using correct tires, check if you are using correct setup (possibility to enforce setups) and make sure track conditions match too and see that track is not cut. Because you don't actually race on the server with other people one server can theoretically host hundreds of people at the same time becasue it only works as a cheat protection, shares data about the event and handles laptime data.

This would not only allow kunos to organize seasonal events easily but it would allow us users to create leaderboards like the old gplrank without users needing to download and install any addons to be able to play. You could even allow such system to be used by everyone so people on consoles could do the same seasonals as the pc master race. Then you could add links from people's profiles to their rankings and allow people to show off their rankings in their signatures on the forum. You could allow people to chat with other people while connected to the server.

Leaderboards doesn't need to be this complex full blown club thing that it is in forzas for example. Little bit of innovation and modding tools and some hard work can create a lot without requiring a host of personnel to operate it.

5. Horus

Horus Alien

No matter the complexity it ain't going to happen. This has been confirmed many many times before, like night driving and multiple light sources. RSR is great if you want times there is even a Steam Friends racing App, cannot recall what it is actually called, but there are multiple ways to do what are after. Good luck.

6. mistery

mistery Hardcore Simmer

Why doesn't the wonderful RSR suite please people well enough? It's detail is impressive and it's easy to use. If hotlapping is your thing, RSR gives you everything you need to please your leaderboard warrior needs.

GTHQ_koop likes this.
  7. fbiehne

fbiehne Hardcore Simmer

I’d say RSR Live Timing does the job pretty damn good.

Glaurung likes this.
  8. Jim Layhee

Jim Layhee Simracer

^ This ^ but having to alt-tab out to turn down the LOUD VOICE is a bit wearing.

9. f.gek

f.gek Hardcore Simmer

in the next release, it will be set from the ini file

10. Johnnypenso

Johnnypenso Simracer

Can't agree more. The RSR boards are great, a really good tool especially for measuring yourself against the best of other drivers, but I would really like to see some game wide leaderboards for at least a few combinations, perhaps rotating on a quarterly basis or some such thing. I think it would be extremely popular and add life to the sim. It would be especially beneficial for, example, to have a mix of leaderboards featuring newly released Dream Pack cars and tracks. I think it would be great to have an official championship of sorts across several TT's.

11. Bo-Göran Larsson

Bo-Göran Larsson Hardcore Simmer

RSR are great. A wonderfull App. Wery few have it and often you can set a instant WR in many combos. There should be 50x more users that sets times to realy say something about your laps.

12. Bo-Göran Larsson

My suggestion. Implement RSR live time app in Assetto corsa in a future uppdate and let those who manage this get a little income from kunos so they can manage it.
    Then we also get a hughe amount off users that will bring new Life into hottlapping.

Johnnypenso likes this.
  13. V8_KB

V8_KB Alien

Actually there's enough users, there's over 20k I think. The thing is that often there's not even 1% users per combo or even 0,1%. IMO ideally 10% per combo would be enough (a lot) to give you a good idea how fast you are.
    I think some people are also upset because of lap times wipe when the major AC update comes. It's understandable but at the same time they should support it as it doesn't make sense to compare to the lap times that are not possible anymore.

I'm also one of the guys responsible for not enough lap times on RSR, because I'm not using it since the MP has been released. And I only started using it when there was some forum group on RSR and we had the time attack challenges. When there wasn't MP yet it was nice fun. Since then I never used RSR to post lap times.

So all in all from 20000 user base, only a small portion is posting lap times. Probably a lot of guys from that 20k group doesn't even play anymore too.

14. Do you even know is the RSR guys want this to be a full time job? And are you volunteering to pay for it?

15. cooknn

cooknn Alien

I don't use RSR as I'm not interested in hotlaps as much as race results.

16. Housemania

Housemania Gamer

That is one of the big reasons to have Official Leaderboard, people are just not using RSR anymore (for various reasons of their own). And like now the minor update on the camber on 1.4.2 pretty much lowered all lap times around 0.5-1 on each car so the records not repeatable and people don't set new, coz its pointless and the others who set the records before get mad when the board gets reset, its a doomed circle.

Anyway looks like it's pointless, many people even don't get the point of having this feature and how much value it will bring to the sim and some other are careless at all about it.

17. Quffy

Quffy Alien

There is another type of leaderboard, from the Minorating servers, which besides having a safety rating, they also keep a performance rating with elo points. Though it was discontinued, only the safety rating is still in place. http://www.minorating.com/PerformanceRating

18. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

i would open RSR app for MP if it split the ranking for the tyres and included track grip info in the big red I :p
    lots of people doing laps with all the t compounds available would make a fantastic resource for server admin to use

Housemania likes this.
  19. Lawndart

Lawndart Hardcore Simmer

Leader boards are a core feature in any console racing game. It's also a leading "meta game" for those trying to beat friends lap times. Not having it would be a rather major over site.

Console players aren't all competitive in a live environment so having an offline means to train, learn tracks, develop speed in relation to their own friends, all tracked, etc is a very popular activity in console racing games. It's why Forza went all crazy with clubs.

It's not hard for Kunos to do especially because both Sony and MS have their own leaderboard and player ranking API/SDK's they prefer developers use. But it gets harder to do things like ghost cars and locking tunes, etc.

But the leading challenge is "how" you do it... Every car and track combo? That's too many lists but can be done, it's more likely the developer set a series of predefined leaderboards that covers a lot of the content and enables them to create simple events around them (if they wish, it's all passive)

And finally, admin tools. They need a means to wipe the boards at the very least, but the ability to make new leaderboards is how they can make events in a completely passive way like adding free "levels" to a game and engage their community with these events.

It's a lot of effort (most things are in games) but the returns are 10 fold the effort... Community ranking, hosted events, community engagement, refreshed interactions, passive multiplayer, all players ranked, searchable lists, and a means to track users and more meta data from your users (yes, 505 will want this) etc.

20. Bo-Göran Larsson

Do they want to get paid for their jobb? Why not? Do they want it to be official content? Why not? is it a fulltime jobb? No I dont think it is but it could be.

21. kakusso

kakusso Hardcore Simmer

Can you imagine Battlefield 4 without the XP system?
    Can you imagine the increase interest in continuing playing AC with a XP system? The notion of progression? Even the wreckers would stop wrecking to increase their XP. Multiplayer without XP is like food without spice, good but could be so much better. Battlefield 4 has it and none is required to pay a monthly fee.
    Kunos please make your game unbeatable, you are so close.
    Ranked servers plz.;):cool:;)
    YES YOU CAN!

Edit: XP System with the same categories as in this forum; racer, hardcore racer, simmer, alien, etc.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    Bo-Göran Larsson likes this.