1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Project CARS 2

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Berry, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

How do you get what I think, I just stated the fact.
    But after you said it, yes, I do think it was super bad move on SMS side esp considering product that was broken in many ways on delivery and wasn't even properly patched before "don't worry about that broken $hit you just bought, the newer and better one is coming" almost immediately after release.

TERRA21 and Octane like this.
  2. dad marley

dad marley Rookie

Like I said, that "the new and better one is coming" is a piece of non-news. It is well within expectation, just like AC2. It is also expected that one game be supported while the next one is being developed. It is just normal industrial practice. Indeed PCARS's latest patch was released just last November.

Now it's unfortunate that they have to suffer potshots like your comments, since being a Community Assisted Racing Simulator necessitated early announcement. I'd say it's a reasonable business trade-off. They got the $$ and exposure even before the game is out. You can contrast that with Kunos which had to release with sparse features due to limited resources, and still end up semi-acquired.

3. Octane

Octane Simracer

I've read this about five times now with the intention of seeing your point (honestly), but that's the biggest load of hooey I've ever read on these forums. What's "non-news" to you confounded many here.

Andrew_WOT likes this.
  4. pollinho123

pollinho123 Simracer

I think his main point was that it is not unusual to start with the next title, once the current one is released (or even in the very final stages of development) while it is also usually the case that you keep supporting your current game while you are developing the next title.

And while I don't think SMS did a particular brilliant job at the latter, there was a steady flow of monthly updates/bugfixes as well as new content for one year after the release of the game.

The main points that you could criticize about SMS and pCars however aren't about updates or working on a new title shortly after the last one was released, but pretty fundamental flaws that were based on the whole concept of the game, being messy FFB (settings), average physics, etc., which would propably need quite some work or even major changes to the engine the whole game is running on, which is simply nothing you should expect once the full game is released.
    And it's not like pCars was completely broken, it was just not the hardcore sim, that many expected. It still has a lot of fans, after all Steam players peak out for pC at around 2K in the last 24hrs, while AC peaks out at 2,7K, which isn't a huge difference, when keeping in mind that AC recieves regular feature and content updates, while pCars hasn't seen any major updates for nine months now.

kofotsjanne likes this.
  5. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

Ian bell is of fire!!!
    https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...iscussion-thread.342814/page-19#post-11703139

A little extract:

...a drone based 'photo scanning' aerial photogrammetry system...
    ___

Q: You'll see that in some corners of the internet, a certain "cult of laser-scan" has sprung, but considering much of that data collected is decimated, aerial photogrammetry (by drones no less) offers a very close, and I assume in a game environment, imperceptible difference in representation to the usual laser scan stations info.
    Ian: You're correct. The difference really is imperceptible because we always abstract the point cloud anyway. The little vaunted additional benefits that drones provide are variable height scanning (which gets us much more detail on the off track terrain) and the ability to place the drone at known camera points to capture more detail there.
    ___

Q: Ian while you're here can you confirm if this is true or not, did Co-op career mode miss the cut and won't be in pcars 2?
    Ian: We're still working on multiplayer features. I have 10 full time dedicated multiplayer coding staff on the project now and we're working very hard to deliver all that we want to deliver. That delivery list is VERY long though and at some point very soon we have to stop new feature work and move to bug fixing and polish. So I can't say for sure yet sorry. Our main focus has been on improving the 'acuity' of the online experience; on dealing properly with griefing (wreckers) and dealing more efficiently with those suffering temporary connection issues.
    ___

Q: I am a huge fan of endurance racing and I really enjoyed how it was implemented in the game. Can we expect to see more multiclass WEC style races in Project Cars 2?
    Ian: Yes
    ___

Q: Have you guys nailed the oval racing? We already seen some pics of Daytona, texas and Indy. Are there more of them?
    Ian: I can say that we have a little more in the bank there that you don't know of yet and we have been working for 14 months on perfecting oval AI behaviour... I say 'perfecting' but 'making it good enough' would probably be more accurate as nothing is ever perfect. We also have more US based circuits that we haven't announced yet that should please our fans from that region.
    ___

Q: Will there be more Australian tracks in pCARS?
    Ian: No, sorry.
    ___

Q: Will we see more Japanese cars in P CARS 2, such as the Nissan GT-R?
    Ian: Yes
    ___

Q: Will we be able to make our own custom liveries on console?
    Ian: No, we created a pretty decent livery system for Shift but it comes with many downsides. You need to reduce the online car limits as the liveries come with a memory overhead. For pCARS we have massive fields on 24 hour tracks like Le Mans and for that reason we had to restrict livery work. It's a tough choice but I think it's the correct one.
    ___

Q: With everything currently revolving around the addition of rallycross and the revised "Game Vision" bullet list for PCARS2 on the wmdportal.com website, can you tell us if the hillclimb and touge race disciplines have been pushed back? If they aren't in the scope for PCARS2 at launch, are you considering them as DLC add-ons or will you give them another shot in the next game?
    Ian: Yes, we cut Touge and Hillclimb. They were part of the initial 'vision' but not the post 'pre-production' plans. They simply felt excessively niche and didn't appeal to a large swathe of the potential punters. So they're not on the radar at the moment. We've doubled down on the areas people enjoyed and added much more content there, in a big way.
    ___

Q: Seeing as you can't give specifics, what is the percentage of tracks that are omitted from the original game?
    Ian: We've left almost nothing out of the roster we had before and added a lot (loads!) more for this one. We've also updated all of those tracks to the new standards.
    ___

Q: Can you share some info about the FBB settings? Do you have to do this manually per car per track like in PCars1 or will it be a kind of auto adapt?
    Ian: Yes. We have new physics and from that falls out new FFB. For this one we're shipping (as of now) 3 FFB preset options (we default 1 of course) that you can single click and get (hopefully!) the feel you prefer from the feedback. I'm biased but it's a huge step forward from the rocket science we had before. That rocket science is still hidden in sub menus and accessible for the more masochistic
    ___

Q: For Project CARS 2, will there be improvements in the "out of the box" settings for controllers, so that users won't have to dive deep into the advanced settings menus to get the most out of a controller?
    Ian: We've massively reworked our pad input filters to try to pre-empt what the user wants to happen, in coordination with what actually happens in game. It's been rewritten from scratch and we've been influenced a lot by what our competitors do here.
    ___

...We are shipping a dedicated server setup for PC and we're using Sony and Microsoft systems for consoles...
    ___

Q: Great to see the Ferrari license in there, presumably Porsche is on the way and Lambo is clearly in there too (with a Blancpain race number no less). Does having that holy trinity of notoriously difficult to secure licenses offer more options for negotiations with real life race series?
    Ian: I love how you worded that to get me to confirm the holy trinity subtly. Yes. We have all three.
    ___

And the last, epic

Q: I have a question regarding the release date, do you feel you're taking a risk releasing close to GTSport and FM7?, we all I'm sure want the game to do as best at it can, and PCARS is by no means inferior but both games have a huge marketing budget behind them.
    Ian: While we respect the competition. I think they should be concerned about the risk of releasing close to pCARS2. We have a massive marketing budget also. But word of mouth based on early play is much more important and we are very confident there.

6. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Can someone explain this:
    Q: You'll see that in some corners of the internet, a certain "cult of laser-scan" has sprung, but considering much of that data collected is decimated, aerial photogrammetry (by drones no less) offers a very close, and I assume in a game environment, imperceptible difference in representation to the usual laser scan stations info.
    Ian: You're correct. The difference really is imperceptible because we always abstract the point cloud anyway. The little vaunted additional benefits that drones provide are variable height scanning (which gets us much more detail on the off track terrain) and the ability to place the drone at known camera points to capture more detail there.

I am one of those pesky guys that get pleasure by knowing that the tracks are as accurate as possible (just as the cars being accurate) but i dont understand what he is saying exactly, will the tracks be as close as laserscanned or what?

7. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

8. Apparently he feels that the drones are better than a traditional scan. (his opinion might be a bit biased though)

9. ShimonART

ShimonART Alien

only car that i ever wanted in this game :]

10. How can u laser scan with a drone? Sounds like bs to me. So i take it he flew his drone from the uk to mount panorama to scan the track and flew it back , very clever :eek::confused:o_O:D:D:D

nate likes this.
  11. Tomcul

Tomcul Hardcore Simmer

Wonder if they made nords actually resemble the real thing this time, or is it the same pile of guesswork they presented in pcars1....but the angle of the carousel is accurate!!!!

I personally would rather regurgitate my breakfast and re eat it than give any more of my money to SMS..

Pcars 1 was to have ovals full NASCAR roster full Indy car roster PSVR support etc etc...all lies, instead they sold broken DLC packs and left the game with the same issues it had on release day..

Luckily for me at least assetto released on PS4 and that experience was so good it pushed me to get pc and rift so I could really enjoy just how good assetto is..

Sorry for the rant or if I come across as an AC fanboy, I put 900 hours into pcars1 but was left disgusted by the way it was dropped like a hot potato after a year on console with most of the same bugs as when it started.

Lmp2 car with zero wing and zero camber anyone??

TERRA21 and nate like this.
  12. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

From the forum:

"Essentially it's a camera/laser scanner attached on a drone flown around a track for track reference collection. It's cheaper and faster for similarly high quality results as conventional laser scan"

13. Much of the scan data doesn't get used anyways, so it seems logical that scanning by drone would be a feasible option. I'm sure there will be plenty of comparison videos closer to launch.

Cote Dazur likes this.
  14. Dookie

Dookie Hardcore Simmer

I would assume that the result of a drone scan is better in terms of sorrounding terrain/objects. Can't really imagine that the details of the track surface are equally scanned compared to the ground-scanner technic but I have very little knowledge of this topic.

15. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

You can measure distances with a laser. You can buy a simple device that does exactly that in every workshop.
    So of course you can do the same using a dedicated vehicle on the track or using a drone.

The accuracy won't be the same, the question is if you need that accuracy.

But taking the accuracy aside, it definitely does make sense to use drones in the making of a track. If not for the scan then to take pictures of the circuit and its surroundings.
    I'd definitely do that if I were a track builder. Because drone and camera are quite cheap, even if you use high-quality (you can get very good stuff for 10000€).

16. pollinho123

pollinho123 Simracer

I wouldn't bother about their scanning process either as long as the finished product is alright. They could also use tons of playdoh and get a negative off the track and I wouldn't care as long as the result is fine.
    I'd guess drones are a little less accurate, just because they can move around freely rather while a car is stuck to the ground and are propably also not as stable as a car, but I guess they are accurate enough.

We'll see :D

Dookie likes this.
  17. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

The drone approach sounds reasonable. I don't know the exact details/specs of such a system but I very much think that when used correctly, the GPS data and laser mesh from the drone should allow for a sufficient sim accuracy.

It will be really interesting to see if the physics and FFB were actually improved...the bells and whistles + flood of features don't matter much to me.

Dookie likes this.
  18. dodge33cymru

dodge33cymru Simracer

Official trailer is up. Aurora Borealis simulator, just what everyone needed.

Sarcasm aside, shows far less content than the leaked one, but Daytona, Long Beach and Fuji certainly added, as well as the Acura GT3 are all good. Guess the Vulcan will be the halo car.

Looks too 'jack of all trades' for my liking, but all games are now. This takes it to extremes though.

19. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

As long as they succeed with everything they have put in its just nice to have it and they set the benchmark for other developers because they need something that cool too. If it means that everything is a little bit meh its another story.

Even if you dont like SMS or even intend to buy pcars2 you will still get the advantage of it if they do it right.

pollinho123 likes this.
  20. ShimonART

ShimonART Alien

trailer looks amazing!
    acura nsx and gtr, iam hyped !

just hope the cars dont act like an open diff all the time when over the limit and were golden.