1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Road cars and tire/suspension options

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by liakjim, Oct 22, 2014.

1. liakjim

liakjim Alien

I was thinking this issue from early stages of Assetto Corsa and decided to share my thoughts , now that RC bring the factory option (TC, ABS) and also new Giulietta which has tire locked to street compound.

Why there is the option to choose tire compound and also alter suspension parameters on road cars?

Because Assetto Corsa IS a simulator , i believe that this option shouldn't be there.

Even hypercars like LaFerrari or Huayra have their suspension fixed , adjusted from factory and the owner doesn't have the option to adjust.
    Although he can change tires, i think that also these cars should be locked to street compound the same that have from factory.
    Not to mention more normal road cars like Abarth 500.
    Same goes for Ferrari F40 Stage 3/ 458 stage 3 with the possibility for slicks or Huayra with the ultra grippy (almost slips) Top Gear tires.

I strongly believe that road cars should be as you can buy them from factory so the only adjustments that you can make is to alter the tire pressure (only street compound) and less fuel.

I would like to read your thoughts.

P.S. Forgive my terrible English.

garyjpaterson likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Physics Bugs & Issues Physics issue with road cars in AC 1.16.X Oct 29, 2021
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room PS4 PRO ROADCARS - Racing (League?) Every Saturday 4PM(MST)(US, AZ) May 27, 2020
    PlayStation 4 Discussions ROADCARS - PRO Racing Every Saturday 4PM(MST)(US, AZ) May 27, 2020
    Chit Chat Room Formula one cars around Road america: a great combination Feb 18, 2018
    Physics Bugs & Issues Road Cars Semi-slicks May 22, 2017
    Chit Chat Room F40 and Road Cars in general Feb 10, 2017
    Console Lounge Auto clutch glitch on road cars Dec 11, 2016
    Physics Bugs & Issues Launching semi auto road cars Oct 28, 2016
    XBox One Discussions BTG lap times (Road Cars) Sep 7, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Nurburgring Sprint Lap Times for ALL ROAD CARS in AC Jul 5, 2016
    Chit Chat Room 'The World's Fastest Cars' - 1987 Road & Track Test May 29, 2016
    Chit Chat Room List with all road cars and their respective electronic aids? May 23, 2016
    Chit Chat Room BMW road cars seat position to close? May 3, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Why is semislicks standard for road cars? Mar 13, 2016
    Suggestions Number plates for road cars? Mar 16, 2015

3. Fivizzz

Fivizzz Simracer

You can always set alignment on street cars, it's important for fuel efficiency, tyre wear, handling and comfort. Ask any mechanic.
    Suspension depends on the hardware, but most aftermarket stuff is adjustable, so there you are for Stage X versions.

I don't know any car whose tyres can't be changed. A lot of sports cars have factory semisclicks. So having that option is nothing out of the ordinary.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  4. I think there should just be a full on factory option, where everything is as real as possible, ABS, TC, ESP, tyres, suspension, everything. And it should show up on the RSR live timing app whether you're full on factory or have fancy tyres etc.

5. Magun

Magun Racer

Did you think about that every Car has diffrent Tyres on it when saled. And a P Zero will be faster as an Continental Tyre. So i think the Semi-Slick's are pretty good to balance diffrent Car's a bit an make intressting Race's. Lotus Exige 240 R and BMW M3 E92 is an awesome Combo.

6. liakjim

liakjim Alien

I don't speak about alignment but about adjustment. I bet that in your road car even expensive ones that are from factory, you don't adjust your camber before start a trip or even enter a track for fun.

As for tires , i still believe that that we should use only street tires. Even Pagani Huarya is sold with street tires and not the (cheaters) tire that have been used in Top Gear track, isn't that correct?

Also different tires manufactures doesn't alter to much final results as different type of tire( for example P Zero or Continental vs a semi slick tire).

7. Magun

Magun Racer

Not as much between a Semi and a Street but still enought to get a few second's advantage especialy on a Track like the Nord's. I have read a lot of Car Maganzine's and it was always about the Tyre's. The People where always discussing why is this car Faster then the other and you cant compare one Car with the other if they dont rund the Same Tyre's. There are diffrence's. And if it's only 1 M from Breaking 100-0 it's each turn you get 1-2 Meter's. Noob Semi-Slick? Why? A M3 E46 CSL has Semi-Slick's fresh from the Factory.

8. Racing_34

Racing_34 Simracer

on the honda s2000 you can also adjust caster, even my stock bmw 120d could arrive up to 3° of negative camber on the rear tires (on the front you can't adjust camber unless having camber plates).

the fact that most of users don't adjust it it doesn't mean it's not possible...

regarding tyres you can buy whatever you want, many guys who use they car for trackdays have a spare sets of rims with semislicks or used slicks fitted, and they have alignent every time they bring their car to a track.. even because kerbs are the best way to move everything

cerebus23 and Magun like this.
  9. Fivizzz

Fivizzz Simracer

So just because YOU don't want to, nobody should be able to? Try not to use absurd as an argument.

I check my car's geometry on a regular basis (or get it checked actually), because it is important, even for everyday driving, I just explained you why. It's jut a few bolts to tighten or loosen, and almost any garage can do it for you, especially tyre specialized ones.

It's not about cheating. Don't blame other people for understanding how to setup a car just because you don't want to bother with that.

AC is a simulation, and everything that's adjustable IRL is in AC. You can't adjust springs and dampers on the vanilla 500 and Giulietta, nor can you adjust ride height or differential lock. You can on the cars that allow it IRL. Nothing to see here.

FYI: Alignment = toe, camber & caster, adjustable for all street cars.

10. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

if the OP meant that he wants to be able to race AI or MP with limited tyres e.g street tyres only then i couldnt agree more. i dont understand why we have tyre options if we can only use them in practice and hot lap modes. against AI is a lost cause (fortunatly i dont like the AI anyway :p ) but theres hope for MP as its still in beta. alot of people dont seem to get the appeal of racing sub-optimal tyres but i am a huge fan of the street tyres in AC. it would make balancing cars easier in mp. it makes some cars have more enjoyable handling characteristics IMO e.g the elise. and it means you can force people to use vintage tyres on the classic cars (currently just cobra but i assume we will get the street/vintage option on the GTA also, not to mention mod cars)

OP i often race street tyres only on my server called: the fair factory. feel free to join for a race when im hosting :)

11. liakjim

liakjim Alien

@Fivizzz please don't be offensive. Who said that i blame other people or that i don't want to bother? Also calling me absurd...:mad:

I just would like to be as realistic as possible.

I am not an mechanic. So you say that i can take my ford focus to a garage and adjust camper, caster and toe? And i can do that easily ? And the same thing is possible for LaFerrari?

12. djkostas

djkostas Hardcore Simmer

Hm, tyres... ANY tyre can be installed on ANY car. Whether you want to do it is a whole different subject. You can also change dimensions, something you cant do in AC. (yet)

Suspensions. Where to start and where to finish. On factory setups, you have alot more options than you think, some easier/quicker, others harder/slower.
    Some may require simple aftermarket parts, like spacers.
    Should we start talking about more specialized aftermarket parts? The sky is the limit!

Should we also talk about engine? With a simple ECU re-programming you can race tune your car to give >10% more horsepower.

Yes I know we are stepping in NFS territory here, but my point is that even if AC had a slider to adjust engine HP, or car weight, it would still be realistic.
    Its all a matter of perspective really, but only thing certain is... Please dont talk about unrealistic options!! :)

Nahkamarakatti and Magun like this.
  13. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

ok, i just read this again on my pc instead of my phone :p

i disagree with @liakjim's view that there should be only street tyres and only fixed setups.

the option to limit your server to these things would be great though so that the host can choose which tyres are allowed e.g street 90's only etc

myself and others would really like to see an option in the server launcher application to limit all players who join to either a fixed default setup OR a fixed host created setup

forcing these things upon everybody is a bad idea in my view but having the option to create varied events with them would be great! (not for realism, just for variety and and a more level playing field in cars that are very setup dependant)

Michael Hornbuckle and Magun like this.
  14. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

Plenty of people who do track days have the knowledge to adjust relatively simple suspension settings. On some cars it might be more difficult than others, but how on earth would you simulate that? Make a change and have to wait 30 minutes before you can drive?

As for the the LaFerrari, you turn up at the track with your mechanic.

15. liakjim

liakjim Alien

@djkostas
    Please don't tell me about obvious things. You missing the point there.
    About tyres. I know that you can put (almost) any tire . If this is the case though , why Kunos don't allow us to put also slicks? Or why is Giulietta restricted to street compound?

About suspension. I am talking about factory (stock) cars, not aftermarket.

You totally missing the point.

All i say that as long there are already restrictions to road cars because Kunos wants to be realistic , also i believe that these restrictions , should be more...restricted.

Road cars = same cars for everyone.

Another issue is the track. I also believe that optimum tracks should not be an option since this an utopia to have (but that is another thread.)

16. Champion Hero

Champion Hero Simracer

I own a Honda S2000 and you can adjust the full geometry of the suspension, so I would be very surprised if many of the high-end sports cars can't do the same.
    As for tyre's well thats a choice too. I run Bridgestones on mine, which are a harder compound and absolutely crap in the cold, but as they heat up are excellent, compared to say, a Pirelli/Michelin which is always a softer compound. Therefore, tyre compound makes sense on the road cars if you think logically.

As for cars with Stages, they are modified from the factory version. They have had their suspension replaced with aftermarket parts, bigger turbos etc bolted on. It's the exact same principle as me replacing my suspension on my car to allow height adjustment, which the factory version doesn't. Its an upgrade, a stage up.

17. Magun

Magun Racer

Slicks on a Streetcar is completly unrealistic. Thats why we dont have. Semis are unrealistic for some streetcars aswell. Because of the lubrication of the Engine. The G-Force woud put the Engine-Oil to the side and the Oilpump woud run dry. Try it on your own Car. I guess a few Laps woud be enough to destroy the Engine.

A friend of me had an Civic EG with Racing-Suspension and Semi-Slick's. You had to pull so hard to open the door's. Because of the abuse of the hard Suspension to the chassis. So i guess Semi-Slick's are still ok to some Streetcars.

18. djkostas

djkostas Hardcore Simmer

OK, I dont like where this is going so this will be my last post here.

ANY tyre can be mounted on ANY car. Whether the car will break, twist, roll over or whatever is besides the point.

As to why Kunos is not allowing more tyre options for all cars, assuming that its because its unrealistic is... ahm... lets say wrong.
    Could be licencing restrictions, lack of time, or just wrong position of the moon when they made it, its all pure guessing.

If you really want to know, make a thread about it, asking Aristotelis, or just directly pm him.
    But please dont just assume its for realism!

19. Darkkis

Darkkis Racer

Then race with the default settings and let us enjoy the variety??

20. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Guys this is chit chat section.... so personal thoughts stated. Try to be less mocker. Statements about phases of the moon and such just try to humiliate this tread and me.

Magun likes this.
  21. bondyboy

bondyboy Alien

and for that reason there are aftermarket baffled sumps available (got one in mine)

Magun likes this.