1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Ryzen 7 1700x

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Virus82, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Virus82

Virus82 Gamer

hi i am about to buy a new pc with this cpu and a 1080ti before pulling the trigger i would like to know if it will be a good performer in Ac and Vr (i already own a oculus rift).
    Obviously i won’t buy it only for gaming but gaming is an important part for me.
    Thanks

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Virtual Reality Worth upgrading from Ryzen3600 to 5600x? Oct 1, 2021
    ACC Hardware Discussions ACC on Ryzen 3 1200? Mar 20, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality Reverb G2 + Ryzen 5800X + AMD RX6800 Mar 11, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting Bad stutter with AI on Ryzen 5600x [RESOLVED by Disabling the High Precision Event Timer] Nov 20, 2020
    ACC Hardware Discussions Ryzen 5 5600X + RTX 3080 Benchmark Videos Nov 5, 2020
    ACC Hardware Discussions RTX 3080 GPU + Ryzen 5000 CPU = Minimum 80-90FPS on HP Reverb G2 Oct 1, 2020
    Chit Chat Room Has anyone upgraded from Ryzen 2600x to 3600x? May 20, 2020
    ACC Virtual Reality Looking for Settings to HP Reverb - RTX 2070S - Ryzen 2700X Mar 7, 2020
    ACC Virtual Reality Whats wrong? VR + Ryzen 5 2600x + 1080ti Dec 1, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Game stuttering on Ryzen.. Help please? Dec 17, 2017
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Ryzen 7 1700 only using 6 out of 16 logical cores Aug 12, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Assetto Corsa support for Ryzen processors Mar 5, 2017
    Chit Chat Room AMD Ryzen CPUs Feb 27, 2017

3. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Be my guest :D :

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/planning-a-new-system.46901/

Wait for news on the 8700K, and then compare. First benchmarks show it as superior in single thread and en par, slightly better or slighty worse in multi thread performance, compaired to both the Ryzen 1700X and Ryzen 1800X. It depends on the benchmark tests being used. It is equal to/minimalistically better than the 7700K in single thread and superior to the 7700K in multi tread.

It also depends on the software you use. If you use programs that you know are single CPU heavy, you are better off with an intel, single cores are a ground that AMD since always fights an uphill battle on.

On your question, I would expect your choices to be solid ones for VR as it is today. But note that many people say that the Oculus runs better with hyperthreading turned off. Google it a bit.

4. konnos

konnos Simracer

Single thread in the 8700K is boosted because it has tech that supercharges a single core if the others are not getting taxed. Which will not happen with modern games. So in reality you will not see the single core performance seen in the test when you are gaming. It pretty much seems like it's a i7 7700K with 6 cores instead of 4. It will all depend on the price.

As to your question about 1700X, it is probably better (financially) to just buy the 1700 (which comes with a decent fan, the 1700X comes without one) and overclock it manually to get close or even with the 1700X. But if you dont care about money, go ahead and get the X.

Horus likes this.
  5. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

In reality you overclock the CPU anyway. Id be surprised if you wont be able to reach at least a 4.7GHz which is what they have as turbo boost for one core if i remember correctly.

6. konnos

konnos Simracer

Yes it's 4.7 for single core boost for the 8700K. As for Ryzen 1700X it's already almost at its limit, that's why I suggested the Ryzen 1700 to save money and get almost the same performance, if not the same.

Horus likes this.
  7. chalminho

chalminho Simracer

I have a Ryzen 7 1700/1080 Ti and have used it with a Rift. It performs great with AC overall (as it should given the budget!).

That being said, because AC's engine is DX 11, multithreading performance is not optimal: the CPU workload is not evenly distributed among available cores and I still get drops to 50 fps or so at 3440*1400 resolution (everything maxed) for the first few seconds of races when I have 20+ AI opponents, as one of the cores reaches 100% usage. I suspect performance would be slightly better with a 7700K with AC because it is the undisputed single thread performance leader for gaming today.

Ryzen 7 1700 are indeed the best value in the Ryzen 7 family but be sure to overclock them or you're missing on a ton of performance. If you don't plan to overclock, go with an X CPU. Ryzen 7 X models also reach slightly higher frequencies on average because their binning is better. For example, my 1700 won't overclock higher than 3.8 Ghz even when raising the Vcore.

See more binning stats here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5xybp7/silicon_lottery_ryzen_overclock_statistics/

I would still choose a Ryzen 7 over a 7700K if I had to do it again as the value is much better if you do anything else than gaming (gaming performance in 2017 is slightly lower but good enough to feed any high end GPU on any game).

I think it's important to note that based on previous experience (2600K vs 2500K), CPUs with more threads tend to age better when gaming as developers gradually use more threads. 4 threads was the standard yesterday. 8 threads is the standard in 2017. I anticipate that 12 threads will be the standard in gaming in a year or two. 12 or 16 thread CPUs will perform much better with newer games then and you'll be glad you went with a Ryzen 7 as time passes and game engines start to take advantage of all these threads.

Make sure you are not cheap with RAM though and take the time needed to tweak the frequencies and timings as much as you can. 3200 Mhz RAM with decent timings are needed to really take advantage of Ryzen 7. It makes a world of difference with minimum FPS in CPU limited scenarios, where you notice framerate drops the most.

Stephen Driscoll likes this.
  8. Horus

Horus Alien

Fractions of fractions are still fractions of near enough nothing. AMD and intel are not far apart except for price, AMD have the ability to support older CPUs if you like cooking your CPU (not really a selling point but still worth mentioning). The overall budget for intel at about twice that of the AMD equivalent, if that is a concern. As the swings and round-a-bouts are running again it looks like AMD have had the break this time (with intel having major issues with bugs in their instruction code at the moment {Maybe fixed by now but I do not know}). I am an AMD supporter and would say go for their offering, to be honest unless you are doing major scientific work on the PC either of them are great tools (intel have the edge when it comes to scientific use).

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  9. Virus82

Virus82 Gamer

i would prefer Ryzen for its multithreading performance vs price because i use things like virtual machines a lot....then in gaming i hope that in the near future more and more games (sims) will use all the cores we have and not only 2/4 of them.
    Waiting for 8700k is a fair advice (any release date/price yet?) but it will cost more then the price i am paying this 1700x (i guess), which is an offer on an entire build, for example the same build but with 7700k is 200euros more
    Then also probably when we will have ryzen 2 it will have better single threaded performance and will be easy to change without having also to change motherboard.
    That's why i am asking for Ryzen performance on AC and other sim racing titles in VR

10. Virus82

Virus82 Gamer

For the RAM in the build it is included gskill ddr4 3200MHz
    About the 1700 i thought about it but the difference in price is quite low...and it has lower TDP so probably i won't be able to OC it so much and the 1700x will be a better fit to me because taking it to 4.0GHz will be easier for me

11. Virus82

Virus82 Gamer

For the RAM in the build it is included gskill ddr4 3200MHz
    About the 1700 i thought about it but the difference in price is quite low...and it has lower TDP so probably i won't be able to OC it so much and the 1700x will be a better fit to me because taking it to 4.0GHz will be easier for me

12. I remember the days when a CPU upgrade was actually worth the money :(

Vel likes this.
  13. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Rumour says Octobre 5th. Compatible mainboards will take longer. Fully 8700-adapted mainboards will take until second half next year (Z390 chipset). And that is when maybe Ice Lake already is knocking on people's doors.

The CPU will be significantly more expensive in Europe than in the US, I read.

14. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Considering how slow business was and is to adapt to even just four cores - took many years, and many new sim content still does not use four cores, often not even two - I see no need to ring the panic bell there. Its not as if games will be unplayable on a system with 12 threads when it was designed to be capable of handling even 16.

Its also about supportive hardware for these CPUs, mainboards that is, and chipsets.

And finally, costs.

But yes, I think it is good advise to build those reserves into a new system that your purse can afford. Just buying what is the minimum of what you wish/need right now, may prove to be short-sighted too much.

Horus likes this.
  15. myimac

myimac Alien

Please tell me more about the frame drops at the start of the race. I am building a system to eliminate this issue with a 4790k in my current machine. I want to completely eliminate the 45fps drop. Are you getting it for only a second or two?