1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Sense of speed....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by MickyMutton, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Bubba Kush

Bubba Kush Rookie

I prefer the bigger FOV by not using the cockpit view and just having a nice clean screen with nothing but the track infront of me. The sense of speed is great I think.

magicaldog likes this.
  2. Kristaps

Kristaps Alien

I absolutely hate onboard videos who is filmed with 'regular' lens, looks treebly slow and unexciting to watch, It's a must to use 'wide' lens (GoPro, etc)
    Single monitor users can't have both, sense of speed and realistic FOV, If you choose to use realistic FOV, than it's your fault when driving looks slow, not the games fault

Nahkamarakatti, Sauac and Toykilla! like this.
  3. Racer-Ray

Racer-Ray Rookie

this is/was our Problem. we all have Triple Screen and with 24" there is no sense of Speed unless you use unrealistic FOV settings. which i did and this solved the problem but I had to give up my realistic FOV settings which AC calculates for you in the app.

4. Racer-Ray

Racer-Ray Rookie

tberg, thanks that was actually a tipo I am using 5760.
    thanks, I will post some pics or videos one day.
    I started with stage one motion and build my own rig based on stage one.

moving from "normal" to motion rig is great. driving a motion rig is nothing you can feel or see just by watching videos.
    you have to try it then you will know how it feels. what people don't see in the videos is that the actuators are always moving in millimeter range. so you feel the engine even if you are not driving. this you can't see on videos.
    too bad assetto corsa does not yet deliver all the data needed for a motion sim to deliver 100% all the motion senses possible. on other games like iracing or even f1 2013, I can tell just by the seat if I am driving on the road, on gras or on curbs.

since I upgraded to motion rig, I don't play sims which don't have motion interface anymore. even assetto corsa, I bought it the moment it came out, but I drove just half an hour and turned it off. started again when simxperience came out with the interface.

5. JnJ | Rayleigh

JnJ | Rayleigh Simracer

I don't think it has much to do with FOV. I also sense some kind of a lack of speed...so I compared it to other sims like GT6 etc where it's stated that there is not that lack of speed sensing. I feel that the environment is responsible for it and especially the track and the curbs. In AC the curbs seem to pass a bit slower than in GT6 for example. The changes of white and red while the curbs are passing are still easily recognizable with your bare eye in AC whilst in GT6 the red and the white become kind of blurred. You could also say the passing of curbs and thus the change of white and red are more dynamic. Just watch following video:

Concerning the track some bigger particles which you really see passing you or dark spots from someone's wheels etc might help, too...but the main thing I think is about the curbs.

EDIT: Ok in AC you also see dark spots and particles on the track..but what I also just noticed in that video is that these particles and spots are also passing you slower than those in GT6..

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  6. Toykilla!

Toykilla! Racer

GT6 isnt a Real Simulator like AC :) GT is SimArcarde for Playstation and AC is one of the best Driver Simulators i ever seen on PC. In my Simulator it is absolutly perfekt and i dont wanna change it to a GT6 experience :D

Mit dem drecks S4 von Samsung verschickt...

7. Robilon

Robilon Racer

He didn't talk about having GT6 physics or none of that... he actually had a point, and you reply "AC is perfect you are wrong if you find something wrong".. not wanting to hurt your feelings, but can you please stop fanboy way to reply :rolleyes:
    If everyone was like you, this game could not improve. I hope you see my point as it is and not as in offensive way.

nivadepi, Sauac, Shaddix and 2 others like this.
  8. Toykilla!

Toykilla! Racer

Yep,but we do not need a second iRacing,Pcars or GT and thats the point. In my Simulator is AC the best experience i ever had in the past and i think it is wrong to change that.

That has nothing to do with Fanboy reply... :rolleyes:

magicaldog likes this.
  9. Racer-Ray

Racer-Ray Rookie

and again....a fanboy reply. nothing to do with the subject.

10. Toykilla!

Toykilla! Racer

If you think so... ;)

11. Racer-Ray

Racer-Ray Rookie

JnJ yes you are right, thanks for pointing this out. it for sure has only todo with the way the environment and particles passes by. yet it seems like the environment in AC passes by differently depending on your FOV setup in the game. which shouldn't be.

12. Robilon

Robilon Racer

GT6 shadowing seems to be much darker, and some of the walls and fences are larger.. It's all about the enviroment around you what makes it look like "faster".

Assetto Corsa may be missing some deepness of shadows in enviroment around track. It makes this "blueish" shadowing like it was fog, and that makes shadows of around track make look bad in some cases. The fog seems to come in too short distance. Overall this makes it look more like you are driving in space with nothing around you since the deepness is gone, and when you are focusing on track the backgrounds kind of "fades" away more than in let's say GT6.
    I haven't actually tried this theory, just came into my mind and could be possible.

[​IMG]

Here is irl image of the fog, and this amount of fog seem to come in way way shorter distance in assetto.
    The whole idea may be stupid, because I can't seriously remember what is like in Assetto Corsa, I was only looking some screenshots and videos just now.

13. Cokatoos

Cokatoos Gamer

@JnJ, you are right, the sense of speed "issue" has to do with the speed of the environment scrolling, the video shows exactly it. Thank you.
    @Kunos dev. Team, can you say some words about it? Do you want to let it like that, or will you improve it?
    Thanks

14. Crunch

Crunch Racer

Yes I can see the difference. One thing else I noticed is that many objects along track side appear somewhat closer (or larger) in GT6 which also improves the sense of speed. The video didn't specify the FOV settings in AC though. However, they need to do some tweaking for sure.

15. D4rkst3EL

D4rkst3EL Rookie

There is definitely a difference in this video. It is very obvious from the curbs but what I also noticed and in my opinion is as important if not more in the perception of speed. It's the way the texture of the tarmac goes around and under the car. I am sure this has been mentioned before too

16. plaid

plaid Alien

It really depends on the sharpness of the tracksurface and the details around you. A line blurry one-coloured trees and other stuff gave a much slower sense of speed then highly detailed sharp trees, especially if the sun create a mix of lightened an shadowed leaves. The AF and AA in
    AC lacks, you can recognize that in cars, where you cant see the surface closer, like in the m3 GT2. In hood view the near tracksurface is really sharp and give you a better sense of speed
    BTW: AC simulates the g-forces from everything but acceleration. Its subtil in reality in comparsion to breaking, for example, but its there. Making a suggestion-thread for not now.

17. Luigi Gianni Vollaro

Luigi Gianni Vollaro Hardcore Simmer

I think the sense of speed is absolutely fine especially in the open wheelers and track day cars as the road surface is more visible. However in some of the tin-tops it does seem a bit slow-mo. I think this is because Kunos haven't completed a fully dynamic road surface as yet, when they do the extra track surface detail will will improve the sense of speed pretty well.

18. Qusso

Qusso Racer

When you drive real car on highway with 200 km/h + you also dont see the "sense of speed" . Why? Becouse road is wide and objects are small and far away from you so you cant really judge how fast you are going . Becouse of safety issues tracks are also wide and there are no objects near so you wont kill yourself . Check this video :
    Single screen and looks like orginal 52 FOV . Speed feel here is huge !
    On the orginal 52 FOV in my honest opinion AC has sick amount of sense of speed maybe even too much .
    I use 42 which I found realistic from my real driving on track experience .

19. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

This topic is about sense of speed and not about AC comparison to real world or other sims.
    So just be quiet with your fanboy answers or contribute to the topic. :cool:
    Anyway changing FOV and seat position helps to a better feeling of speed.
    Send from my HTC One

20. Toykilla!

Toykilla! Racer

Buy better hardware and you get sense of Speed. I think the left Video looks more Realistic than the right one.

If you need Arcade speed,buy GT6. :D

magicaldog likes this.