1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Sense of speed....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by MickyMutton, Dec 6, 2013.

1. sinbad

sinbad Racer

Arcade titles also use the trick of a speed sensitive field of view, obviously increasing as you go faster and faster. It works, but like other things suggested you probably wouldn't want it in ac.

For me there is a good sense of speed but I would like the wind and road noise to increase more at 100mph+.

2. Digital Aura

Digital Aura Racer

now THAT I did not know! :confused:

In that case, I can live with it... as I hope to someday acquire a couple more monitors. I actually have 3 computers in the house, but.... ;)

3. petesky

petesky Simracer

I wonder if sound have to do with it, I drove the Zonda r in AC and Shift 2 back to back, it's definitely more immersive in Shift2. sounds in Shift 2 are definitely better.

4. Cokatoos

Cokatoos Gamer

I think it's a graphic matter, not a sound matter.

5. Binurah

Binurah Rookie

Not off at all, I think that`s the main reason for the lack of speed feeling.
    Track surfaces lack medium / rough detail (they have fine detail, but that blurs away at speed), thus there is nothing in close distance that could be used for reference.
    Distant objects don`t help since they always "move" slow relative to the driver position.
    Add a layer of dirt, color changes, uneven skid marks to the road and it`d feel much better.

marcinkowski likes this.
  6. Tberg

Tberg Alien

For me, the speed feeling is alright at 150+ km/h (93mph). Below that, sorry, I'm with the majority, it's not fast enough.
    And you can try it yourself:
    Try driving at 10-15 km/h(6-9mph), which is normal running speed, the cars move like at walking speed seriously. Does indeed not fit the speedometer at all. It's the same at double speed, which is around the speed of a bicycle, I am definitily going faster irl than the car in AC does at this speed. So what I'm saying is that the speedometer shows a faster speed than the car is moving, so if the calculations on the physics has some influence hereby, yes the speed sense could be better at <150km/h.
    Devs, look into this please.

All the best

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    TheDyingScotsman likes this.
  7. petesky

petesky Simracer

can someone do a comparison video using the same car and track going at 100km/hr using iracing and AC?

8. Crunch

Crunch Racer

AC is rather hit and miss when it comes to sense of speed. For instance, when driving the Lotus 2-11 earlier, when moving at 100 mph at Silverstone I felt like I was flying. In contrast the Ferrari 458 and Mclaren 12C feel like they're crawling at 100 mph. I guess it depends a lot on what car you're driving. The Zonda R feels like warp speed at 60 FOV and 150+, but of course the car is low to the ground and moves like a rocket on wheels.
    However, I will agree that there seems to be a general disconnect when it comes to sensation of speed. Not exactly sure what can be done about it at this point, but I hope it doesn't put the clamps on an otherwise outstanding simulation.

9. Cokatoos

Cokatoos Gamer

+1!

10. Fahim

Fahim Racer

Just to add when I first played the game I thought "this seems slow"

11. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Not bashing the game, I like it alot and have big hopes for it, so far my only issues is the speed, camera options (need something in between lock and unlock to horizon) and some ffb minor issues (not really anymore), but when driving I forget most of the problems and just enjoy :)

12. Ghanja

Ghanja Racer

The funny thing is if I use the hood cam (which I never use - I did that just for testing) I get a lot more speed feeling.
    Ok, I do gain a few FPS that way but during driving in Cockpit view I hover around 85 FPS which should do too ...

13. MickyMutton

MickyMutton Rookie

I can't believe not one of the devs has come into this post and said something. I really cannot play the game any more with the sense of speed the way it is, just not exciting at all, however "real" It is.

14. Crunch

Crunch Racer

Is it really that bad? I mean, it seems ok (not great, but decent) for me at 60 FOV on a single 24" monitor. I would think that having a triple monitor setup would help in the sense of speed department.

15. Crunch

Crunch Racer

BTW, may I ask what your monitor refresh rate is, as well as are you running vsync or no vsync, and what your locked frame rate is. Are your frames per second matching your monitor refresh rate with vsync on (very important for smoothness and sense of speed)?

16. sinbad

sinbad Racer

Well, and I'm not arguing with you here, but perhaps it would help if you specifically explained why the sense of speed is so much better in iRacing, rather than just saying that it is. Get technical, compare identical FOV settings with screenshots and video on the same track, it may be something very minor but which makes a real difference for you.

17. ir Sindaco

ir Sindaco Alien

18. IDLH_

IDLH_ Simracer

Are you being serious..? Up your display size(s) so you can run a higher FOV while keeping things reasonable.

I have no clue what you guys what Kunos to do. Warp the screen edges for you? Employ a dynamic FOV?

xyr likes this.
  19. Binurah

Binurah Rookie

Whatever it takes to make 50 km/h feel like 50 km/h, and 250 like 250.
    It`s just counter-intuitive not to be able to feel the speed.
    Obviously there are a few theories about the reasons. I suppose it`s a combination of a few things, but I think the road texturing is the biggest issue.
    So...to answer the question, I`d like Kunos to rework the road textures. Or I`ll do it myself once the modding tools are available. ;)

20. Crunch

Crunch Racer

New road textures may help, but probably not solve the whole issue. After doing a comparison test of rfactor vs AC at 100Mph with similar cars, one can clearly see the difference (both at default FOV). It took an FOV of about 64 in AC to even come close to getting the same sense of speed, and that didn't really do it because things got too small at that point. There's just something missing somewhere.