1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

So how long before "realism mods" turn all track surfaces to ice?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by JamesYZN, Dec 22, 2013.

1. JamesYZN

JamesYZN Racer

Serious question. The majority of sim racers have been whining and moaning about all cars in AC suffering from chronic understeer, and basically citing iceRacing as 100% accurate when... well... it's not.

In fact, substitute Call of Duty with iRacing and Red Orchestra with Assetto Corsa in the following interview, and compare the similarities between the current rift in the sim racing world:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/13/call-of-duty-red-orchestra-2-interview/

So, how long before we see "Realism Mod 1.0" which turns all track surfaces in AC to ice?

Oubaas likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room How long will it be before we see this in AC ? Jun 2, 2014
    Physics Bugs & Issues Some Kunis F1 cars have abnormally long gears for me Dec 24, 2023
    ACC Physics brakes, motec no longer works to adjust the car? Jul 17, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Thrustmaster TX no longer working with ACC Dec 17, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions XBOXXS version is still a joke after so long time ? Oct 30, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting I can no longer save - Fatal Error. Sep 9, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions How Much Longer ? May 3, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Are Controls Locked for too long May 30, 2021
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room I am looking for long term AMG-only teammate May 4, 2021
    ACC Physics Long first gear on startup bug Apr 7, 2021
    ACC User Interface Loading stats or ratings takes too long Feb 20, 2021
    Screens & Videos The longest track for Assetto Corsa (Targa Florio) 72 Km Feb 14, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting Headlight projection disappears as soon as my car is alongside another Jan 20, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Zolder Long formation lap bug?! Not solved? Jan 8, 2021
    Steering wheels discussions G29 no longer working on Assetto Corsa Jan 2, 2021

3. DewCrew88

DewCrew88 Racer

The only way to get cars to "turn" in iracing is usually to induce some sort of violent weight transfer or snap oversteer.

Alot of the feeling of the front tires "not being in the track" can be addressed with air pressure and or front bump. Or driving 5 laps consecutive and having the pressures build and the rubber get gummy.

Ill take any "understeer" in AC over the waste of time and money that iR was for me.

4. Blupp

Blupp Gamer

You can people let remote control real cars, and tell them its a simulator and still some people moan, the cars are not real. :)
    We just have to live with that. I played all the sims out there, and ac is just the best so far.

sketchyterry and GothaR like this.
  5. cooknn

cooknn Alien

I won't be downloading that mod!

6. Ethan Dean

Ethan Dean Hardcore Simmer

Meh, I'm not one for stopping people for doing what they want to do, so all the more power to them if they feel that's what is right. I'm staying well away from anything like that though. Call me a fanboy all you like, Kunos' physics are above and beyond anything else.

UOPshadow likes this.
  7. cooknn

cooknn Alien

I'm enjoying the experience of tweaking my setups to get me from entry to exit of the turns without having to power slide.

8. The Moose

The Moose Hardcore Simmer

The majority? I think you'll find it's a very small minority actually.

Don't mistake the noisy few for the majority.

9. sketchyterry

sketchyterry Simracer

Yeah I don't think it's the majority. Then again I mainly read stuff on here and Race Department + VirtualR comments so I guess if I went to the iRacing forums then I would see more stuff against it.

Personally I've played quite a lot of rFactor back in the day and loved it but always found it extremely hard work. I never felt confident to push because it often felt like there wasn't much grip, probably partly down to being worse back then, no real world driving experience and a far less good setup that I have now. Anyway with AC I can trundle around at a reasonable pace without the car feeling like its a bit to spin out for almost no reason, but when I push everything comes alive. The feedback through my wheel is just amazing and perhaps one of the most notable things is just how different each car feels. Every single car is unique and different in the way I would expect it to be.

Anybody who wants to ruin that amazing experience and reduce the grip to crazy levels is just simply insane and is undoing the great work that has been done by KS.

As a side note, I recently got a free account on iRacing for 3 months and I can't make my mind up on it. At the moment I keep reaching for AC instead of iRacing, despite the fact that in iRacing I could be actually racing. As such I haven't got out of the rookies in iRacing, doubt I ever will because as more stuff comes for AC i can see more time going towards that.

UOPshadow likes this.
  10. Raymond

Raymond Racer

I don't think we can judge how large that community is until it happens. If it happens.

11. Luigi Gianni Vollaro

Luigi Gianni Vollaro Hardcore Simmer

Yep it's a vocal, yet tiny minorioty, don't worry James, you're safe. I have to be honest, there is too much understeery feeling on some cars, and something needs a tweek, but making the tracks into ice rinks is not the answer. :eek:

If anyone thinks the cars are too grippy they should....
    Try altering the diff settings, alter the rear toe to straight, wait for cooler road temperatures and wet weather to be implemneted. Then they'll be in haeven. :p

Personally I have compete trust in Kunos.

Some of the reason the 'ice drivers' like things icy is because they are used to the rfactor/simbin/iracing games that are very very setup dependent. With practice you can actually make those cars much easier to drive by changing the diff settings and playing around with the suspension and tires. This can take hours, but puts those drivers at a massive advantage when they play online. Assetto is much more like real life, becuase you can generally 'drive around' a poor set-up, and unless you drive at over 95% there is little chance of crashing. The ice drivers don't like this as it is ruining their advantage because the differnces between drivers will become less noticeable and less experienced drivers will be able to fairly competitive times probably within a few seconds a lap of theirs. That's why many of them prefer more powerful exotic cars with more set-up parameters rather than simpler basic cars. They'll no longer be able to have the advantage of a very drivable car for themselves when the noobs have a car with iceskates and are less familiar with the track, they won't be able to hammer them as hard and feel like such a hero.

IMHO after 8 years of PC sim driving.:D

juggle and UOPshadow like this.
  12. totalo

totalo Rookie

First time posting here, loving this game so far just waiting for multiplayer.
    I have to disagree with the above statement though. I pretty much left console sports to get into racing because , for the most part, it's all about the driver's skill. Madden and NBA 2K games disappointed me because of "comeback" code. Where you could be murdering a guy with you knowledge of the sport, personnel and situation but here comes the game code (CPU/AI as it's known in the genre) with a cape on and a "S" on it's chest waiting to save the day for the player who has no idea what he's doing. That got old fast. But with the sim racing I found that not to be the case. If a guy is faster than me then I try to stay on his tail and mirror his actions, see where he's faster than me and try to adapt. If I can't I get left in the dust (which is the majority of the time lol). A less experienced driver shouldn't keep up with a fast guy. If AC is to be true sim things like this shouldn't happen, it would mean some kind of "catchup code" is in play and ANY game with catchup code is not for me.

13. Absolutly agree.
    People think iceRacing = realism, but how many times have you seen spinning GT´s in a race? That´s not usual at all.
    In AC you can feel the car, and the car is warning you when the limit comes, that´s real, in iRacing you feel nothing, only ice, and I would like feel better because I still have 2 years paid :(.
    AC is the heaven :rolleyes:.

14. Luigi Gianni Vollaro

I'm not talking about any 'catchup code', what I was trying to explain is that the differences between new and good drivers in AC will be less noticeable compared to other sims because AC is less setup dependent, and the differences will be more down to driver skill and track knowledge, as in real life. I think you should read more carefully.

15. totalo

totalo Rookie

I see what you're saying, but I think tuners will always be able to come up with blistering tunes that will rip the road apart. I think the margin will still be great but at least the new driver will feel like they have a chance versus some sims where the new driver feels like he wasted his money and will never get up to speed.

Luigi Gianni Vollaro likes this.
  16. Luigi Gianni Vollaro

Yep, there will always be a gap for sure. Like the Stig (expert driver) is probably 3-5% faster than Jeremy Clarkson (OK driver) in the same car on the same track. But the difference in some sims is just unrealistically too wide, and Assetto should narrow this gap.

17. JamesYZN

JamesYZN Racer

Cars aren't fundamentally hard to drive and AC's physics model reflects that. The fast guys will still be fast, but a car shouldn't be trying to kill you at 70-80% attack.

18. totalo

totalo Rookie

I hear you, but I have to go buy on my experiences. At around 17 or so my cousin taught me to drive on his 1983 Mercury Capri. New it probably had 100 hp, his probably had 80. lol
    A little over a year later I went to buy my own car while in the Army. Salesman brought out , I believe it was a 88 or so RX7. We went about a block or two when he goes, "Give it a spin". And "spin" was the right word for it. We switched places and I got about a block and a half and pulled over , got out, and told him to forget it. It was too much car for me. Almost killed us both. Went flying on the curb and everything all the while he's like "You'll get it , keep going". lol

I'm torn between the two views on it myself because I can see both sides of the issue.

Bailey likes this.
  19. Raymond

Raymond Racer

I had an 86 RX7 and thought it was one of the most ground cars I every had except when it got a little wet out. Got me through a few instances where I could have had a serious accident, instead of braking hard I eased and released and was able to darted around the situation. One time it threw me hard against my seat belt, without it I would have been in the passenger seat. It was a fun car to drive, I forgot how much. I had a company car for a few years and had parked it. Changed companies and re-insured it for a short while. It brought a smile back to my face the first time I drove it again.

20. This!!! Been saying that for years.

Usually the "whiners" are from rF2 (which I own and love) or from "ice"Racing (have it, its ok).
    I havent found any car in rF2 too hard to drive, they deffinetly suffer from incomplete tire model especially in low speeds, but nothing as inconsistent as iRacing has with few of their cars.
    When car needs to be driven in a certain way (like skipbarber etc...) and can be hard to drive, doesnt mean its not realistic. Most of the time it just means that you need to learn something new, and usually its something very basic about physics which directly relates to the way you need to drive the car/cars.

All the things I have learned about driving in general, comes in to play with AC.
    The versatility of different kind of vehicles, and how they need to be driven to achieve what you are trying to do is great in AC, and I cant help but to love this damn game.
    There is room for additions and improvements, but ice racing mod is not one of them.

21. totalo

totalo Rookie

See and therein lies the example. I thought it was a death trap for me and probably would have been if I went straight to race track with it from the lot. But with experience I'm positive I would have whipped it around like a skateboard. lol