1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

The Evolution of VR Sim Racing

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Cuba, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Cuba

Cuba Gamer

I'll start by saying that I'm really enjoying the VR experience. Great job to developers and all who have made it what it is today. Since I'm new to VR (HTC Vive), I was wondering how much the quality of VR has increased over the last months in Assetto Corsa. Has there been much in the form of resolution/graphics or performance enhancements from the inception of VR in AC to current date? I always hear "improvements are coming" (in general, not only in AC) but since the only reference I have is what I see today, it's hard to predict what those improvements might be. Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Screens & Videos Evolution of Assetto Corsa and Kunos Simulazioni (2003-2022) Jan 8, 2022
    Online Leagues / Championships room [RevolutionSimRacing.com]Endurance Series-season 1 Jan 8, 2020
    Online Leagues / Championships room [RevolutionSimRacing.com]Evolution Series-season 2 - Ginetta Supercup Mar 26, 2019
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room Evolution Racing Academy Jun 5, 2023
    Online Leagues / Championships room Evolution Series - Season 4: '64 Austin Mini Cooper S May 12, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer Driver Swap in 1.3.2 :: Evolutions Feb 7, 2020
    Chit Chat Room Playseat Evolution with TS PC RACER and CSR Inverted pedals Feb 18, 2019
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues TSW Evolution Thomas Wheel? Sep 8, 2017
    Console Lounge Weekly Hotlap #36 - Sport Evolution Jun 18, 2017
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Revolution Pro Controller Mar 3, 2017
    Physics Bugs & Issues Loss of revolution Jan 5, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Sony confirms closure of DriveClub, Motorstorm, WRC developer Evolution Studios Mar 22, 2016
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Special Event champman revolution bug? Mar 3, 2016
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues Special event "chapman revolution" times not crossed out Dec 18, 2015
    Physics Bugs & Issues Vintage tyre grip evolution Jul 25, 2015

3. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

vegaguy 5555 and Cuba like this.
  4. manzes82

manzes82 Racer

Maybe because over the time the placeboeffect is coming.

I never felt the picture clearer then before since the big AA Fix for VR.

5. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

How can placebo make you read the dials when you couldnt before? Placebo is strong but even if you put on glasses and think they are yours, you wont see as good.

vilivili, vegaguy 5555 and Cuba like this.
  6. Cuba

Cuba Gamer

Thanks for the link! I have the Vive 2 on a trial for the next week and was wondering if games (software) would develop quicker than the hardware (headset). After researching the Vive, seems like another significant hardware update is pretty far off in the future since the Vive 2 recently came out.

7. mms

mms Alien

Ok, so now that you got your answers @Cuba, it's payback time, tell us more about your Vive 2 :p

Dean Ogurek and vegaguy 5555 like this.
  8. Cuba

Cuba Gamer

Really like the room scaling, works great with basic Vive games/experiences etc; my basement looks like an entire city block! When I take the headset off, I'm still surprised. The initial setup is a pain IMO, the base stations and controllers are still indicating that they need "Firmware" updates. Well, I've done the updates like 5 times and only indicate that they are updated...until the next time you start the system up again then they show the dreaded "!" indicating a Firmware update :(. The fact that some games don't support Vive, becomes a pain to find patches/file folders etc to make it work...patience is required! I've only played racing sims (R3E, AC, PCars) so I can't vouch for the Vive experience yetn and we all know what these titles have to offer in VR, which is good at best. I think the Dev's have done a great job getting to where we are, but the limitations on resolution/graphics/performance are hard to overcome. IMO, we are the pioneers of VR. That means we are paying full cost for less in return at the moment. Is it worth it? Not sure yet, that's why I started this conversation. Will the software (game optimization) come before the next hardware update...that's the world we live in and the dice we roll :). Overall, I like it and will probably keep it. Tonight I may try Vive specific games/experiences to justify the cost. BTW, I've seen them on sale for $699.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  9. Cuba

Cuba Gamer

I will say that I tried to go back to my 4k single screen and it SUCKS! So now my options are: below average graphics with awesome immersion OR great graphics and no immersion...thanks, Vive!; you've put me in an impossible position.

vegaguy 5555 likes this.
  10. Seanspeed

Seanspeed Hardcore Simmer

Next generation headsets will probably be worth the wait. If you're gonna spend $600-800 on VR, might as well make it count.

That said, if I can find a new CV1 Rift for $400 or a full Vive setup for $500, I'll probably jump in. Then just sell it when next-gen comes out.

Tim Meuris, vegaguy 5555 and Cuba like this.
  11. jim jones

jim jones Simracer

Software is always ahead of hardware. With VR the hardware has only just started , will be another 2-6 years before we'll see massive jumps in quality ....

If you dont suffer headaches,bad eyesight, and dont care about being aware of your surroundings then stick with your Vive.

Dont think you quite got mms message...... there isn't a HTC Vive 2 :)

mms likes this.
  12. vegaguy 5555

vegaguy 5555 Alien

Im currently designing a new motion cockpit for driving in VR. The freedom of weight and space compared to triple screens is huge.

13. elchshooter

elchshooter Hardcore Simmer

Sorry, i don
    Sorry, i don´t know what you have at home, but i doubt that it´s a vive 2...
    ... do you have any photos?

mms and vegaguy 5555 like this.
  14. Cuba

Cuba Gamer

You are correct, got carried away with the future updates :)...Its just a Vive. Sorry to get everyone excited.

vegaguy 5555, elchshooter and mms like this.
  15. Seanspeed

Obviously there's no Vive 2. He just means the regular consumer Vive.

It's technically the 2nd iteration of the hardware design, so that may be what he's referring to.

vegaguy 5555 and Cuba like this.
  16. Seanspeed

Depends on what you mean by a 'massive leap'. I'm pretty sure they could release new versions of the existing hardware with higher resolution displays pretty quickly. Even going from 2160x1200 to something like 3000x1600 would be pretty huge. Moreso if they can somehow get RGB panels instead of pentile.

I'd really like to see them do this sort of mid-gen upgrade if they're going to take something like 3 years in between releases.

Tim Meuris, vegaguy 5555 and Cuba like this.