1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

The learning curve

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Bob Peirce, Dec 7, 2017.

1. unknwn

unknwn Alien

The learning curve:
    [​IMG]

2. LeiF

LeiF Alien

Listen to @LeDude83 - getting the correct FOV is really important imho.

And I reckon @V8_KB has still been improving ;) - even tho I have got quicker I haven't really closed the gap between us much imo :D

sacredaardvark and LeDude83 like this.
  3. Bob Peirce

Bob Peirce Racer

I can testify to that. I'm lucky to get 40fps with my current rig, but I know the track and that is enough. I just ignore th occasional stutters.

4. Bob Peirce

Bob Peirce Racer

I can't speak to every car and track but Pitt Race in a 718 Boxster is amazingly similar to the real thing. I drive AC like I drive the track and the results are almost exactly the same, EXCEPT I can safely try things I wouldn't try on track to see if they work. Sometimes they do and sometimes not. I have already picked up some ideas I think will improve my lap times next year.

I am getting into AC because I spend half my time in PA and half in VA and my track time is pretty much limited to April-Sep assuming there is a date while I am in PA. AC provides practice when I am in PA and can't get to the track, especially during the winter.

I will keep your advice in mind about the possibility of picking up things that won't work. That has been a worry, especially the fact that the wheel and pedals are only an approximation of what I actually experience. On the other hand, much of what I have tried that worked had to do with slightly changing my visual queues and that should transfer.

5. Bob Peirce

Bob Peirce Racer

I'm not ignoring it. I just went with the default 56° because I didn't want to change much until I had a better idea of what I was doing. However, last night I tried the calculated 39° and I'm not sure it mattered that much. I'll have to go back & forth with it a while to decide. Perhaps a 17° difference isn't enough to matter or it takes some getting used to; I don't know. However, I'm not going to ignore it.

6. Bob Peirce

Bob Peirce Racer

I'm looking forward to trying that. My MBP doesn't have the power, but Christmas is coming and I expect to have something decent in a couple more weeks.

7. sacredaardvark

sacredaardvark Hardcore Simmer

I would recommend that you do not go back and forth, just go with the correct FoV, 17 degrees is a huge difference. And yes, if you've been driving on a particular FoV for a while, it can take a bit to get used to the new FoV.

LeDude83 likes this.
  8. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Why should we help a x with 2 much money on his hands 2 understand sim racing?
    Welp....

9. Guido Trampe

Guido Trampe Simracer

Why does the supposed welth of a person matter in helping him/her or not? We share a passion. To me that would be all that matters?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Dookie, martcerv, MrDeap and 5 others like this.
  10. WallyM

WallyM Alien

Because we're decent human beings?

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  11. Rudski

Rudski Alien

So I thought about my statement earlier and I am wrong regarding "skill is not based on time".
    And I should have rather said.

Talent x effort = skill
    Skill x effort = achievement

12. Seems to me he thinks he has it all figured out.

13. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

the "standard" FOV, 56, works if you are sitting 2 feet from a 55 inch screen, are you?
    My advice to you is try VR as soon as you can, it will make driving in a SIM closer to your real life experience more than anything else. It will still be different but not as much anymore.

14. Assetto is my first real sim and rig experience. I have I think over 1700 hours now and lately a few things have happened that have made me near the fast times . 1 . Oculus rift , the way you can judge corners will help greatly with lap times. 2. Car setup , this has helped massively before I was quick and couldn't understand how people where so much quicker but this alone will takes seconds off . My old setups where rubbish , I was scared to go near any kerbs lol. 3. Patience , letting the car settle a bit under certain circumstances instead of trying to muscle it around corners and also patience in learning tracks and the car .

15. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

I have almost 2000 hours in AC, and have been using FOV 56 until a few weeks ago. Lately I finally made the switch to FOV 30 and it makes a lot of difference. In terms of lap times not so much at this point, but a lower FOV distorts the road in front of you much less so what you see is closer to what you see in your real car, and that I think can help you a lot to reach the same level of driving in AC that you have in your real car. Basically you can evaluate distances much better, that means less late braking, less understeer, better reaction to elevation changes, less overdriving the car. You can get the same result using VR, as VR uses the optimal FOV.

I used this website for the calculation. http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/index.php I got 23, but set it to 30 to see a bit more on the sides. If the cockpit becomes so big you cannot see it, just adjust the seat position so the cockpit is a bit smaller and you can see the gauges. The important thing is that the road in front of you has the right dimensions. I use an app called Helicorsa for better awareness of cars on the sides and behind. In any case, give it some time and your brain will get used to it. After that for me it was a big improvement, and even more important, driving in AC has become more enjoyable.

sissydriver and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  16. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

fov calculator says 26 for me - i switched from 30 to 20 - thats too much in some cars, f2004 for example. but 20 helps me again to drive better - for me fov is the 2nd important step. first was good wheel and pedals.

Ace Pumpkin and LeDude83 like this.
  17. Full_Ninja

Full_Ninja Racer

I agree. Once you have a good rig with force feedback and tactical feedback with VR the only thing you're mising is the G forces. Which is also what the original poster is missing the G forces

Cote Dazur likes this.