1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Who thinks the kerb effects are NOT canned?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Marc Collins, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Gamer

Sorry, but if the kerb effects are not canned, they are the worst implementation imaginable. Oh, and the sound for the kerb is also canned--exactly as these were in nKP. Who thinks these are physics-based and on what basis? Details, please.

The feeling of weight shifting in the car is excellent. There was zero feel of what the tires were doing in 0.1, so I was delighted to see the new advanced FFB sliders. Ooops, once again, the "Slip Effect" is just that--an effect. A rumble or vibration that still gives no detailed or physics-based indication of what the slipping tries are actually doing.

This is a warmed-over nKP with prettier graphics and better cars so far. I was expecting a step-up in the physics department as it was being hailed as a rF2-killer. AC has a very, very long way to go to even equal rF2 physics, let alone surpass it. So either we shuold look forward to a complete and massive transformation between now and 1.0, or, accept that this is a terrific game and stop discussing it as a serious sim.

Was I expecting too much? I don't think so based on statements from the devlopers.

esox71 likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds The game thinks my PXN V9's pedals are buttons not an axis, is there a fix? Nov 21, 2022
    XBox One Discussions The game thinks I've not purchased the Ferrari 70th anniversary pack(Xbox one) Nov 5, 2017
    Console Lounge Who else thinks we need a license system like iracing has on assetto corsa? Sep 19, 2017
    Console Lounge Proof AC thinks console gamers are superior Sep 2, 2016
    ACC Audio Kerb sounds Nov 2, 2022
    ACC Physics Shared memory - KerbVibration not "active" Mar 14, 2022
    ACC Physics Alpine GT4 strange reaction to kerbs Jul 17, 2020
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Thrustmaster TX kerb feel (or lack therof) Jun 26, 2020
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Grass clipping onto track and kerbs on Zandvoort Mar 14, 2020
    General modding discussion Editing barcelona kerbstones Feb 26, 2020
    ACC Physics Kerb usage @ Zolder Feb 16, 2020
    ACC Audio How to lower kerb sound Dec 25, 2019
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Barcelona Curve 5 wrong kerbs Dec 8, 2019
    ACC Physics Strange Kerb Behavior Oct 26, 2019
    Console Lounge Weekly Hotlap Challenge #141 – Be a Kerb-Hunter! Aug 11, 2019

3. The Moose

The Moose Hardcore Simmer

The new effects are "canned". Nobody claimed any different. Lots of users wanted them so they got them. Just turn the three effects sliders back to zero and you have the pure FFB again.

If you don't feel what the tyres are doing I'd suggest you have something set up incorrectly. The pure FFB gives me a great feel for what's going on at all times. It's the best, most natural FFB I've experienced in any sim.

Clearly we have different opinions on the physics. AC is well ahead of the competition imo. Nothing to me gives the sensation of driving a real car like AC does. Calling it a "terrific game" is just ridiculous.

4. yep, just put zeroes in those effects and you're good to go. ;)

5. Sean

Sean Simracer

Slightly related. I'll ask here rather than start a new thread.

Just to confirm: if you wanted the FFB the way it was before the most recent update you would put those 3 sliders at 0%? They weren't hidden and set to like 10% etc in the previous versions, or something like that where they?

Also, what exactly does the "Slip" setting do? I could feel the curb effect and the Road effect but I could not feel what "Slip" was doing.

6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Gamer

If the sliders are set to 0, then it feels like the kerbs don't exist. Like in 0.1. Is that realistic?

Moose, what tire slip effects do you feel on your rig? I get zero. Great feel of the weight of the car shifting, but no feel from tire grip or slip whatsoever. And I have a good quality Fanatec wheel.

7. GamerMuscle

GamerMuscle Hardcore Simmer

It depends on your FFB wheel , many consumer wheels are very slow in response or have dampening in them due to there construction ( using belts)

Its ultimately down to you and what you like given that prity much all consumer FFB wheels have nether to torque or the rotational speed and response to accurately represent what a car is doing in all situations , Its always going to be abstract from real driving and down to the user to try and find what works best for them.

So even if kunos or any developer for that matter programmed 100% perfect FFB you would still have things being abstract from what a real car would do.

Add to that the fact that people often want other information to make up for the lack of seat of the pants feel in a sim you often have an additional layer of abstraction placed into the system to convey that information to the player.

I have found with the G25 I get fairly solid FFB in AC though G25 is one of the few consumer wheels to not have any real mechanical dampening but what it does have is a dead zone , some gear play , Slightly notchy feel , low toque and low rotational speed.

We all need direct drive servo wheels and within the next 2 years i think that's what we will be getting for around $500-$900 price point if things work out as they seem to be ;)

Cote Dazur likes this.
  8. TheDyingScotsman

TheDyingScotsman Hardcore Simmer

I don't think the effects are canned at all. They are all generated through physics. Don't know what you guys are having issues with but for me the FFB is 100% better than it was and I can feel everything. Setting new PB after PB. IF the effects are canned, the whole sim is.

9. GamerMuscle

GamerMuscle Hardcore Simmer

Yep as you said they added in effect sliders that presumably take aspects of the FFB generated by the physics engine and amplify them to then make things like cub bump feel or car weight more noticeable on wheels that might not pick them up very well otherwise.

Users can turn all the "effects" to 0 if they want to have the FFB be totally natural but unless you have a high quality wheel (servo wheel) then each user is going to find things more ore less noticeable depending on the wheel they have , their wheels settings and the ware on their wheel.

Cote Dazur likes this.
  10. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

I have the same question as Sean: what exactly does the "Slip" setting do?

11. TheDyingScotsman

TheDyingScotsman Hardcore Simmer

When I increase or decrease it, it seems to affect the feel of both front and rear tyres slipping. Very pronounced if you turn it up and do a burnout, you can feel the rears slipping. Helps in corners no end also.

paulieGTR likes this.
  12. The Moose

I can still feel the kerbs, though it differs for different cars as you'd expect. In the KTM or Formula Abarth the kurbs rumble away as expected. It's less pronounced in the softer road cars, which i would also expect, the majority of vibration you feel in a real road car is through the suspension, not the wheel.

As for the tyres, i feel understeer and oversteer just fine. the tyres slipping and even that wonderful skipping across the tarmac feel when you've gone in too hot.

All this and I'm on a DFGT. The fact that its undamped and doesn't even have the deadzone that the G25/27 has helps I'm sure. Most "lack of feel" complaints i hear are from users with belt driven wheels. Whether that has something to do with anything i have no idea.

13. paulieGTR

paulieGTR Alien

The point of losing traction(grip loss), that's what i feel anyway - seems quite progressive.:)

14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Gamer

I guess that's my obvious question? Which setting is "pure?" I don't want canned effects, which the slip and kerb certainly feel like. I do want natural FFB from physics only. What setting gives that and doesn't feel like there is nothing there except a centring spring? People above are talking about subtle feelings, so I presume I have to find the right settings. I am spoiled because rF2 works perfectly with Fanatec wheels right out of the box with no adjustments required.

15. The Moose

The three "effects" sliders to zero, no damping, no filter and gain at a level that hardly clips.

16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Gamer

Thanks--I'll try that!

17. Raikku

Raikku Racer

Actually I don't care if canned or not. They feel just fine and that's main point.

paulieGTR likes this.
  18. JDuvel

JDuvel Gamer

The ffb is good in AC (feels iracing/race07-ish), but it's nowhere near the fidelity and specialness of the ffb in rf2. But that's to be expected in many ways as that's rf2's biggest party piece to me.

19. paulieGTR

paulieGTR Alien

This... :)
    And this... :)

TheDyingScotsman likes this.
  20. Olivier Prenten

Olivier Prenten Simracer

Sorry I'm not aiming at firing you up BUT how can you pretend AC has such a long way to even equal rF2 in terms of physics? Moreover you consider AC as being just a graphical enhanced version of nKPro?
    WOW man! Please clean your glasses, drink some fresh water, grab your wheel and test again nKPro, rF2 and AC! THEN try and write some coherent comments! ;)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
    Cote Dazur likes this.
  21. Olivier Prenten

Olivier Prenten Simracer