1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

With the right FOV - a guide / introspective

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by everlast, Jan 25, 2014.

1. everlast

everlast Racer

I have a rather large triples rig and it's always looked and played great. I mean, you pretty much pick any racing game and its a blast.

Now, I've been working on my FOV lately rather seriously, even measuring parts of the track in the game with real life info, measuring out points 100m away and adjusting the FOV using the excellent triple screen app but its always been.. well.. ok.

Last night, I tried a different tactic. I set the distance spinner to 1000mm and put my seat to match. Then, I hopped in the F3 car and set the onboard view to match what I would see. Suddenly...

Mind blown.

As opposed to playing a game, I'm IN the game. I did a race on medium with the F3 cars and found I could hit my braking points without a second thought.. I could squeeze my car into a gap with my front tire next to the next cars sidepod and not touch him. I could swing into a corner and hit the apex within a couple cm. I used to watch some drivers run their sim and wondered how they were so accurate with these things.. I guess it's all a point of view.

Then I set up a few other cars in a similar fashion.. the KTM, the Z4, E30, F40 and the Lotus thing with no roof. Even being off by a couple inches screws with the immersion.. once you get, though, WOW, you get it.

I also tried moving my seat IN and adjust everything so it matched the 'points' but it wasn't the same. In fact, I'm afraid I mucked up the good thing I had going.

I'm going to work on quantifying this more, into a strategy that can be replicated. So far my learned points are:

- FOV to the stuff far away is crucial for not feeling like you're watching a "camera" of the race. Set that up first and ignore the look of the dash.
    - once that's set, seat position is crucial to place elements of the car where your brain expects them to be, even if it means you can't see the dash, the wheel or a mirror or two
    - using the relative position of the front wheels in relation to your head is an excellent starting point, which is why the F3 car is so easy to set up
    - the size of the SUN is completely wrong in the game (it's shall I say, more romantic) which is too bad, because if it was accurate you could easily use that as an infinite depth object to measure by. It's hard to believe, but the sun / moon is the width of my pinky nail at a fully outstretched arm. If this was corrected, it would be a good benchmark to gauge overall FOV.
    - alternatively, someone could make a test track with relative sized objects. With the proper FOV and distance from the screen, objects change their size in a proportional way that can be expressed as a formula. An overlay on the screen would also help set this up - Kunos! A FOV / positioning setup system would be an industry first and could be a game changer, pardon the pun.

Hope this helps and inspires others.

Mogster, Cote Dazur, Kristaps and 3 others like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Getting My FOV Right Jun 10, 2019
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues FOV/ virtual wheel to the low right/Drives sideways Nov 10, 2013
    ACC User Interface CTRL+Left/right for HUD moving stopped working Dec 10, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Getting brake data to look right in Track Attack Dec 4, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Fanatec Advanced Paddle Module - Look Left/Right May 14, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Right after 1.9.1 update game doesn't run. It gives an error. [Verify Steam integrity] Apr 25, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Look left and right Oct 8, 2022
    Bug reports Inside car super bright dashboard is eye killing Oct 4, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions wheel buttons locked to look left and right, and no option to save car setups. Sep 30, 2022
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Looking left and right Jun 17, 2022
    ACC Physics Audi R8 LMS Engine Maps not working right? Feb 24, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Bright side look on new update XSX Feb 23, 2022
    ACC User Interface [Suggestion] allow mapping "View Left/Right" to an axis Feb 19, 2022
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Please add axis support to Glance look left/right! Dec 18, 2021
    Chit Chat Room Is MP down right now? Dec 16, 2021

3. everlast

everlast Racer

I should add, I'm using the excellent RealHeadMotion addon.. helps with the immersion tremendously.

4. Lazybug

Lazybug Simracer

Wow i say that rig looks too pro for me :rolleyes:

5. Snarffu

Snarffu Racer

Not even in my dreams does my display look that good :oops:

6. everlast

everlast Racer

Ha thanks guys.

I'm anxiously awaiting Kunos to fix the X / Z axis in their trackIR implementation so that I get even more immersed with proximity position within the cockpit. I built a little script that is working as a test and with this FOV solved, the application of promixity positioning is perfect. I tried to take a video but it came out really poor; I'll try to take another tonight.

I'm basically inspired by, and copying this approach. Jump to 2:45 to see the goods.

ThereIs0nly0ne likes this.
  7. ENDRiuC

ENDRiuC Rookie

You just wait till the final version of Oculus Rift gets released :) You'll know what being "in the game" REALLY means :D

softgrip likes this.
  8. everlast

everlast Racer

Ya no kidding!! One thing though I worry about is switches and buttons, etc since you can't see your hand. I'm on the fence of getting a dev unit and installing two cameras on the front for that purpose. Some kind of temporary video overlay system would be neat. I haven't seen that done yet.

9. Stereo

Stereo Alien

It's amazing what you start to pick up on when you have the right FOV... I just set up triple screens, with 45 degrees between the outer ones to get me a full mirror to mirror realistic view.

I was running the Abarth 500 challenge, and when I was coming round the first 180 bend, I noticed some of the other cars coming up the back straight, over a barrier. Being able to make the world 'still' helps a ton with small movements; the actual size of the other cars that was visible was tiny, but I noticed cause I was able to feel 'in' the race. When FOV is too high, everything's warping and moving around; when it's just right, the world seems motionless and the car is moving.

I still need to work on eye height and the bezels; AC wants it to be dead center and my seat puts me a little higher than that. Going to set the monitors up higher tomorrow.

Less scientific but I also got a second quicker on Magione. Still not fast, but less un-fast.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  10. I hope youre right. I'm being cautiously optimistic, but not holding my breath (cause that would be just silly and I would passout :confused:).

I've been doing the same thing with AC, adjusting my screen closer and playing with the FOV. I went from having a 27 inch monitor from 29 inches from my face and FOV of 29 to 21 inches from my face and FOV piddling is still wip but somewhere around 33 is where I hit the sweet spot.
    I use TrackIR5 to bring in little more immersion and help with the small FOV, and I can deffinetly agree that when you get it right, even with a single screen, it all makes sense. You feel much more like you are driving a car and your perception is spot on. If your headtracking for example is too fast or too slow, brain goes Wtf?o_O and has to learn new tricks to accommodate. When the measurements match the real life and thats where your brain is at its best, everything comes naturally and the gaming just stepped up a notch.

11. Oubaas

Oubaas Racer

Human vision runs about 190 degrees horizontally, with 120 degrees of binocular vision and left and right fields of monocular vision of around 35 degrees. Vertical field is about 60 degrees above the horizon and 75 degrees below. A single eye has a horizontal field of view of about 95 degrees.

We tend to do most of our perimetery in a central field of only 30 degrees without moving our eyes or head. Beyond the central 30 degrees, there's going to be eye and/or head movement.

The Aim Formula racing wheel installed in the Formula Abarth is 270mm wide in real life, and 185mm from its highest to its lowest point, according to the manufacturer.

You'll need to consider your screen size and resolution and the distance that your eyes are located from the screen and adjust for apparent size at the distance of your eyes from the screen, then compensate as necessary for your screen size and resolution, but all this only after adjusting your seat to the correct position in the car.

As for the racing sim FOV calculators available, one says my FOV should be 95 degrees, the other says it should be 63 degrees. Which one is right? A man with two clocks never really knows what time it is. But just to be kind, I will mention that the rFactor2 FOV calculator (63 degrees) produces much more pleasing results with Assetto Corsa on my system than the iRacing FOV calculator (95 degrees).

There's the info, now go forth and drive yourself nuts trying to figure it all out, LOL! :D

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  12. Tony Rickard

Tony Rickard Racer

Note that rF2 measures FOV vertically and iRacing horizontally - hence with a non square screen the disparity. (AC is also measured vertically so the rF2 calculator should be closer)

Oubaas likes this.
  13. Oubaas

Oubaas Racer

Ahh, that explains it! Thanks Tony! For those interested, I've settled very happily for the 63 degrees with my 60-inch screen. Seems to be about the best look and feel.

14. Tony Rickard

Tony Rickard Racer

A pleasure although now I have screen envy...

15. Xreasonz

Xreasonz Racer

Can you elaborate on setting the FOV for far away points. Running triple 27" 1080p monitors here.
    What exactly are you looking for in Far away objects?

16. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

Oh how I wish for a simple app that could do this.... Verifiable....

Should be a pretty simple geometric exercise with some lines overlapping or some simple visualization.

17. Oubaas

Oubaas Racer

This worked well for me, and trig bears it out.

http://mrpix.org/rF2/fov/index.php?m=1

I don't think you'll do any better for an app than that.

18. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

Well, that's exactly what the ingame app does.

19. Oubaas

Oubaas Racer

In-game app? There's an in-game app?

Where's the junior VP in charge of my gaming briefings? I'll send him down to the mailroom for this!

You'd think, being the CEO, they'd keep me informed of these things. But no, all they want to talk about is cost overruns and production figures. You'd think racing sims weren't even important.

What would I do in my office all day if I didn't have racing sims? Why, I'd have no reason to even come to work!

Tony Rickard likes this.
  20. Ray HT

Ray HT Simracer

Hello mate ..
    I know your setup is different to mine , I`m running three Acer 24" monitors using two Geforce GTX 560 Ti cards and I`m lost with this FOV , I honestly don`t really know what to look for when setting it up correctly ?
    Could you possible suggest a base setting to work on for A/C if you can ?
    Many thanks
    Rob ..

21. Oubaas

Oubaas Racer

Try 28 degrees, 48 degrees, and 68 degrees and see which one you like best. Don't forget to adjust your seat.