1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

With the right FOV - a guide / introspective

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by everlast, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Stereo

Stereo Alien

If you have a triple screen setup, enable it in the graphics menu to get the app, and then get a ruler and proctractor to measure the things AC asks for:
    [​IMG]
    orange - distance from your face to the middle monitor.
    green - width of each screen.
    blue - margins, the distance between one screen and the one next to it (the sum of the two bezel widths, if your monitors are touching)
    brown - rotation, the angle between your middle and side monitors. (0 if they're in a line, increasing as the side screens point toward you)

AC's app demands symmetry - your face looks forward at the very middle of the middle monitor (both width and height wise), and the two side monitors are both at the same angle to the middle. And it expects they're all the same size. It does measure everything in millimetres, so you need a metric ruler.

Margins, rotation, and width are going to be static - dial these in and leave it, they'll remain correct unless you move your monitors. Distance is the one you might have to play with - if you move your chair forward/back, the distance changes of course.

As for my setup, I have distance=570 to 650, rotation=45, margins=32 (small-bezel monitors, 45-50 is probably more typical), width=500.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  2. Stereo

Stereo Alien

It's actually also possible to use the triplescreen app to configure FOV on a single screen. You lose out on motion blur & stuff, but...
    rotation=0, margins=0, width=(monitor width/3), distance=distance from center of screen to your face. The 'pit' overlay will look kinda funky, but it does work.

For my 500mm wide screen, I'd set width to 167, and distance again ~570mm. No need to use trig to work out an angle, or guess whether it's horizontal/vertical (ftr I feel like AC is horizontal)

The downside is if you sit at a typical distance from your screen, you'll immediately notice this is a super narrow FOV - you want to push to get the screen as close to your face as possible.

3. everlast

everlast Racer

Here's what I found though: if I set up my rig say 1000mm face-to-screen, and then change both my position and the setting in AC, objects that are near / far are different relative sizes on the central monitor. So something in the calculator is not quite correct. You should be able to adjust the slider while physically moving and objects on-screen will remain the same relative dimensions.

So for whatever the reason is, 1000mm seems to be accurate while other distances are not quite correct. And there is no other way set the FOV at that point.

4. Stereo

Stereo Alien

How are you measuring relative size of objects, watching your hand at arm's length? I'm willing to check out what you're saying, just not sure how to confirm it. It feels consistent to me. When I enter the pits at Monza (using practice mode) there's a green billboard in the distance that's the size of my thumbnail whether I'm at 600mm or 1000mm distance.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    Xreasonz likes this.
  5. kalabaleek

kalabaleek Simracer

Weird thing is, that calculator says I'm supposed to use 34 degrees FOV when I'm 84 cm from a 42 inch TV; while I see others here getting quite the same number using a 23 inch screen from just about the same distance... And if I use 34 FOV it looks like I'm looking down binoculars; making turning look like I'm hovering 3 meters in front of the wheels...

6. everlast

everlast Racer

Yeah, that's it exactly. I use a credit card at arms length that is 1/2 the height than its width. An object at two points on track should shrink to the same size, but they don't, so I don't really know which one's correct.

What I do know is purely subjective, when I use 1000mm and sit 1meter from the screen, objects do seem to obey the right behaviour compared to real life, and that's the only one that I've had the "mind blown" effect of proper FOV.

7. Wolfstriked

Wolfstriked Gamer

I can vouch for this "right" FOV.Recently,I stumbled upon a FOV setting for the Lotus2-11 that simply amazed me.Its like I can place the car where I want on the track now while before with different FOV's I had harder time to place the car and with certain FOV's I couldn't even keep the car on the track.This is a huge part of increasing the enjoyment of the sim IMO.Funny though is now I find that with the new FOV and seat placement my monitor now seems placed wrong.Thinking of building a stand so the monitor sits above wheel so its higher and also closer to my face,as that is where I think it would feel most natural.

8. Xreasonz

Xreasonz Racer

Yep, Wolfstriked, Thats my plan aswell. Until i can get my hands on some very nice Projectors.

For now i have the screens at 700 mm from my eyes. And it does feel disconnected.
    Better to be able to match the Steering wheel in the car with your steering wheel. Feels like you're actually in the car.

9. everlast

everlast Racer

I found (subjectively) that I had to ignore the shape / size of the steering wheel and the mirrors, etc, while setting everything up.

The mirrors on my setup are HUGE, for instance the rearview on the e30 is 18" wide. But if I close on eye and put my hand up as if I was adjust it in my real E30, the mirror is both in the right place and the right relative size to my eye.

The steering wheel, while relatively correct in the same way, is also HUGE onscreen and I will benefit greatly when the option to remove the wheel from view is added.

10. Xenix

Xenix Simracer

I have a question guys:
    I use a Beamer to drive, my Screen is 1,22 m wide, 97 cm high and i am sitting 1,33 away from the Screen. Which Fov i must use.
    I play around everytime to found the right setting but i am not sure how to calculate without a single screen fov calculator for AS.
    I use 71 fov at the moment.

11. peterjh

peterjh Rookie

12. peterjh

peterjh Rookie

This is not really a reply.
    Today I am new on Assetto Corsa and still fumbling with the controls on my THRUSTMASTER 430. I wonder if anyone knows if I can have automatic gears and use buttons instead for ACCELERATOR and BRAKE rather than pedals?? Being a geriatric old git I am lazy and prefer this way of driving.

13. peterjh

peterjh Rookie

Thank you for your reminder whoever it was told me about putting documents/assetto corsa/log files on here somewhere but I don't understand what you want me to do or how to do it.

14. Mogster

Mogster Alien

I agree running narrow FOV feels better but the loss of spatial awareness is horrendous.

I have my 22inch monitor on an Ergotron so I can move it closer. still anything less than 40deg feels too restrictive.

I'm looking forward to VR.

15. bondyboy

bondyboy Alien

Think you should create your own thread for this question rather than highjack this (not even related) thread.

but you seriously want to map acc/brake to a button? so it'll be 100% throttle or 100% brake? good luck with that :confused: