1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Zandvoort not laserscanned rumor(?)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Epocx, Jul 19, 2015.

1. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

When Stefano was asked about north/south american tracks the reason was that they couldnt afford it atm. Why not just do as with Zandvoort then, and just estimate by pictures and clips how the tracks are supposed to be and license the name, or even do as game stock car? Lets do a game where there is as many tracks as possible! That will make the console sales hit the roof!

3316V, GRFOCO and demonized like this.
  2. Nyowa225

Nyowa225 Hardcore Simmer

Just because somethings free it shouldn't be half-baked. I would rather pay for the track then get what is essentially a mod when we already have one. The whole "don't complain it's free" argument is ridiculous. I can give you a flaming bag of **** for free, but that doesn't make it a good deal. And no, I'm not calling their Zandvoort a bag of ****, but compared to their other tracks it will inherently be of lower quality by their definition. From the AC website:

Are they no longer shooting for "the highest level of accuracy possible?"

And I'd caution against using the money argument. Unless you've seen their finances you have no idea how much money they have.

Well maybe the reason I'm so offended by this potentially being the case is that I am one of those "stupid modders" and I realize how impossible it is to make a 100% accurate track without that data. It's not that I don't want the track, it's just that I'd rather wait until it's done right. We've gone years already without and official Zandvoort, a few more months wouldn't kill us.

mrk1001, Tim Meuris, mESCx and 6 others like this.
  3. Skybird

Skybird Alien

While others must not be interested in your views in return, too, and must not share your personal priorities.

Then you have not understood the nature and the possibilities as well as the limis of simulators. EVERY simulation, no matter which one, is a black box creating illusions by using cheats, shortcuts and "fraud". Because reality is not inside just a black box. You fall - or not - for an illusion when using simulators, from professional multi-million dollar things to 50-bucks toys like for the PC consumer market.

There is a reason why professionals of many job branches never depend on simulators alone for training, but always train in the real thing as well.

Beyond that,as I said earlier, peo9ple not liking non-lasered tracks are always free to simply not use them. This one now would even not cost you a cent, but if you do not want it as a gift, then do no accept it.

Just declaring your subjective taste the general standard to which you imply all others must judge their ways of finding satisfaction from a sim - that is a bit too much demanded. We must not all prioritize multiplayer. And we must not all prioritize laserscanned tracks. Considering that multiplayers still are the minority, I wonder whether it really will be a majority refusing Zandvoort.

4. gandlers

gandlers Hardcore Simmer

If the question wasnt brought up and answered in the last stream, i bet 99% of us would be oblivious to the fact it wasnt laser scanned.
    I'm betting that if there was a "pepsi challenge" a laser scanned and non laser scanned version of the same track that harldy anyone could tell the difference, and then even less could actually tell you which was the scanned version (IMHO)
    What everyone is forgetting is the physics engine of the game isn't 100% accurate, that's why in every simulator there is talk about the new tyre model will do this that and the other.
    No sim isn't 100% accurate (a whole new debate for some people!) and getting strung up on a free track not being scanned is elitist nonsense if you ask me.

That's my opinion on the matter, some may agree others may not, that's life Im afraid.
    Shouting louder that I'm wrong, they are wrong everyone else is wrong is academic.
    Why not wait until it is out, drive it and see if you are kicking up a fuss for nothing other than your own egos? ;)

edit: the post above ninja'd by skybird say what i mean abut the engine!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    Fat-Alfie and Michael Hornbuckle like this.
  5. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

@Nyowa225 well they could have just not done it and kept you happy, but the less elitist of us (probably 90% of the owners of the game) probably dont care and are happy to have any new tracks in ac.

still dont see the problem, dont like it dont drive it. chances is are it was either dont do it or do it this way, it doesnt matter how much money they have, its about how much they will make back from scanning and selling zandvoort in dlc, which it seems likely they have assessed might not have been profitable compared to somewhere like brands

kro likes this.
  6. Mogster

Mogster Alien

We should have seen this coming tbh. AC needs more tracks before it ships in console.

Scanning themselves is obviously a major road block to including new tracks. It appears the teams jealously guard their scan data so sharing resources seems to be out except at a prohibitively high price. Some tracks seem to be able to provide their own scan data so maybe that's an option?

I do feel this reduces the credibility of the sim to a degree, it's a USP that's been discarded. I suppose if it's a choice between scanned or not at all then having the track is always better, but then how much better than the mod version will this be? Is it the mod version? What's next Donnington? Ricard?

3316V, Nahkamarakatti, GRFOCO and 3 others like this.
  7. jasjeet

jasjeet Racer

Possibly they couldn't or weren't allowed to laser scan the track by the licensors, so the choice was either non laser scanned or no track at all. You say half baked as if they didn't even try, knowing kunos im sure they did their best.

8. cooknn

cooknn Alien

What I will be looking for with this non-scanned track is whether or not there are any bumps/effects from the ground. If It is smooth and they are non-existent it will really be a shame.

The other depressing comment from this morning was that the AI doesn't play by the same rules as us. Really? Giving them more grip in the turns (laterally or whatever) sort of takes the sim out of simulation for me. I suppose once the multiplayer ratings/matchmaking sites take off, AI will mean very little to me, but I was very surprised to hear that nonetheless.

9. Nyowa225

Nyowa225 Hardcore Simmer

The problem with this is that once they see that people are willing to accept non-scanned versions of tracks, where's their motivation to go and scan any more? The rebuttle goes from "well it's free don't worry about it" to "it's only $5 don't worry about it" pretty quickly. If that turns out to be the case what reason would they have to spend any more money then they have to by going to tracks and scanning them when they know enough people are willing to pay for an approximated version?

Kunos potentially offering mod-level content is the first circle around the drain. It can very easily be gotten out of by never doing it again (or preferably not doing it at all), or it can lead to the sim going directly down the toilet. If the premise from the start was "we build the physics engine the community builds the content" then nobody would expect laser-scanned tracks, but as it is they are the standard Kunos is known for and the reason many people, including myself, bought the game.

mESCx, 3316V, Nahkamarakatti and 2 others like this.
  10. Quffy

Quffy Alien

Probably this is just an exception. Having other modern licensed tracks without being laserscanned would make the game have a more ordinary feel (dictionary: "with no special or distinctive features; normal.").

11. Nyowa225

Nyowa225 Hardcore Simmer

Well that's the thing, I know they tried, they always do. You don't get something like their Spa or Nordschleife, which I consider absolute masterpieces of track making, without working really hard. That's why I cannot image them agreeing to a license for Zandvoort that didn't let them scan it. The only thing I can think of is that they can't do it in time for the 1.2, which if that's the case I'd rather them just wait until they can rather then have one black sheep track that isn't scanned, for all the reasons I've already mentioned.

You don't need to laser scan a track surface to make it feel good, but you do need to scan it to make it feel accurate. I've played with the physical surface of my mod track quite a bit and to my hands I think it feels really good, but I would never delude myself into thinking it feels like the real place would.

3316V, Leemstradamus and nate like this.
  12. cooknn

cooknn Alien

Good point. That would explain why they are faking the glowing disc brakes at this point was well.

3316V likes this.
  13. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

They should never have laser scanned Brands Hatch, they should just have done it as they did with Zandvoort, maybe even named it H-rands Batch so they didnt have to bother with licensing.

Get some Porsches in the game and name it *drumroll* Darche. Console players will love that! Do some imaginary Ruf Gt3's aswell! Put all cars in the game and estimate physics! Its a good selling point for Gran Turismo. Go Kunos go!

GRFOCO likes this.
  14. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Many people here simply exaggerate the thing and its consequences. The original 1.0 AC was advertised with laserscanned tracks, and with the exception of the hillclimb, which was simply copied over from netKart and was not much further polished, it came out to be true. For the time after 1.0 and what got advertised for it, the cards get reshuffled new, pack for pack. What was advertised for the DLC1, was kept. What is primisedf for DLC2, again a payware, will be kept I am certain. Free upgrades and free gratis content proved beyond that, is nothing you have to complain about, since you also need to not pay for it. You accept the gift, or you refuse it.

You drive in Monza, or you don't. I don't, I find it boring. You do not like Zandvoort? Dont drive it. You will not lose any money, and you have not any claims against them. Zandvoort in R3E is a blast to drive, I love it. I see no reason why I should expect desaster and doomsday apocalypse for the AC version of the track.

Grrr, cant believe I once again return to this thread. This time it counts: I'm out here.

15. Nyowa225

Nyowa225 Hardcore Simmer

To be fair in the stream after that one he said that they're going to work on brake heat and fade, just not for 1.2.

16. Koen

Koen Racer

Yeah console players won't notice the difference anyway. That's all that matters now right?

Nahkamarakatti and nate like this.
  17. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

Not really, brake temp will be in before it gets to console so this is irrelevant

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

18. Cefa

Cefa Hardcore Simmer

btw it will be stupid to pay for a non laserscanned track made by kunos, as long as it's free I have no problems. I just accept the simple theory that since they're doing it for free they're saving on what they can for some reason. I apply the same policy to EA/Ubitrolls/Activision/ecc's DLC, if it's free they can give me all the shi* they want, but I won't pay for it, if it's not laserscanned and it's free for their reasons ok, the Earth will continue to circle around the Sun

It was sarcasm the last sentence..

19. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

To have more data close to rl is not my wish, it's the meaning of a whatever simulations.
    that you like or not.

My wish could be endurance races, driver swap, daytime.
    Your are atmosphere and others.
    This are personal preferences.

But the point remain the same, a sim should work more that it can on real data.
    This is a fact that maybe you haven't understand.

mrk1001, 3316V and demonized like this.
  20. zaratul

zaratul Hardcore Simmer

I would be ready to pay well for a laser scanned version of Zandvoort but this is really really disappointing if true. For me, the whole attraction of AC was accuracy in whatever they did, both on the track and the car side. Can't put it in words really without sounding like a child. Hope they don't go this route with accuracy of the cars as well. The console news, and now this news has really left me worried. Hopefully 1.2 shows that it really contains 4-5 months of work.