1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

MULTIPLAYER Update 0.6 - MP & Ratings Rebooted

Discussion in 'ACC Blog' started by Minolin, Feb 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Nah that's not really an example of where it's hard :D
    Actually the hardest is when you really get excited about news that are shared - things where insane hours went into, and/or remarkable achievements and team efforts. And the only reaction from the outside world is
    (nothing)
    "when is release?"
    "klaalkfa VR asdasdklm"

:D

or look at this:
    upload_2019-3-28_17-26-27.png

and no, don't take me too serious today, please ;)

XettMan, chksix, Gerhendolf and 5 others like this.
  2. Luis Branco

Luis Branco Alien

What if instead of a just the value for RC "performance" be shown on the HUD, could it be used the FIA categorisation also: Platinum (Pro), Gold (Pro-Am), Silver (Am) and Bronze (Am).
    In the HUD we would see something sort of this:
    Am
    RC 60

Am
    RC 70

Pro-Am
    RC 85

Pro
    RC 99

That same category indication could be paired with the drivers name above the car to be shown to the other drivers: Luis Branco (Am); just the category without the values

Servers could be ranked for Platinum (Pro), Gold (Pro-Am), Silver (Am) and Bronze (Am) or any combination of those drivers categories.

Derrellbiffle likes this.
  3. BoinkTheBeaver

BoinkTheBeaver Simracer

Too busy driving, no time to react :D

D.Jankovic and Radfahrer like this.
  4. TRIAS

TRIAS Racer

I might not see things in grand scheme sort of things , but having 2 ratings like safety and performance makes logical sense to anyone who would look at it. It has nothing to do about copy cating it from Iracing. I bet they put alot of thought into the same problem at some point during development and somehow arrived to just 2 ratings. All those TR,CP, PC and bunch of others can be used "behind scenes". I believe simplicity is the key. Average Joe should look at top right corner, look at the field, at nearby drivers and know how he potentially stacks up against them in particular forthcoming race (right now it is a mystery whom you are driving with). Maybe it makes sense to have safety rating and strength of driver within the field displayed above him but in different color from his name and ping. Just a mere suggestion.

5. natloz76

natloz76 Racer

By the way... when is release?
    Edit: Hey, where the heck my smiley dissapeared?

6. Minolin

Ya the TO rating/category is definitvely something to show around, and we'll see where to put this while racing (opposed to the first 3 ratings, which are promised to be kept privately).
    But I wouldn't go only for the RC rating for two reasons:
    1) it's possible that you may want to chose entries by class, and it's trivial to sandbag an AM category by just not doing something like a Hotlap event, or only pratice with RC rating off, or deliberately ruin RC etc.
    2) we have many ratings that do correspond with the driver's ability, that's why the TO rating (and the derived category) should give a better figure of what to expect from a driver

chksix likes this.
  7. mms

mms Alien

lol, that's coming from players like me, who mostly do not care much about how things are working as long as they do.

I stopped to look at the rating numbers a while ago, at the beginning it was interesting to see how my driving impacts those numbers, but right now I just trust them doing what they're supposed to do. In my rare free time when I get the chance to fire up ACC I just enjoy the driving/racing.

I think most of the frustration comes from people not understanding that ratings are not yet used to filter out wreckers in MP sessions (also the match-making aspect).

Anyhow, my point was, just because you don't get a positive feedback it does not mean people are not excited about what you do ;) This is the thing I hate about being a software developer, most feedback you get is negative, if you do the best job you'll just get something like "yeah, it's working, so???" :D

8. Minolin

I kind of agree here, we basically made the distinction between
    a) average joe on entry level
    b) experienced simracer

a) will be stuck on one rating early on. You can tell such a person when he refers to the so called "Track Competence" widget. Means he only see's one single element of the rating, for longer time.
    The theory is that (while it hopefully helps him to put focus on it, and also give feedback) once he got past this rating, he will see the 2nd one (and know the meaning of the 1st one very well). And so on.

Category b) will basically fly through all those ratings, and most probably not even recognize what TR, CN, CC, PC mean. But that also means those can't be that important for this driver (although I see the problem that it's then overwhelming, despite the efforts of help texts and the visual driver profile UI in the menu). Once we have the requirements in the servers, we will see a bit more talk and you should at least know what the RC and SA ratings are.

Yes, totally agree - and you won't find me arguing that at all.

9. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

I love the rating system and think it will definitely help beginners to improve as they have something to focus on they normally might not ever have thought about themselves while getting hints on how to improve the rating they're currently focused on, thus creating a better driver.
    From my experience, it seems like a lot of beginner drivers have some kind of arcade-ish style driving rooted into them due to playing non-simlike games. If you've driven around Monza in any game of choice, you'll see exactly this. Beginners don't seem to focus on consistency and car control, they just wanna drive as fast as possible, unable to keep the car on-track, sometimes barely aware of the players around them, taking out players from here to Tokyo :D I'm sure a lot of them don't do it on purpose, but they've never learned how to drive slow, how to control their cars and how to properly drive with other people.

I think the rating system will be of massive importance for having an enjoyable online experience. Beginners are given the tools to improve their driving, if they can't/refuse to change their driving accordingly, they can get filtered out from lobbies that require a certain level to join. But hopefully they will use the rating system to better their driving so we have more quality people to race against.

One thing I do hope is that there eventually will be an option to turn off the rating system. I like to use tools such as the Radar, the Lap Times app and the Relative app. The Ratings app is something I personally don't really need on my screen.
    Maybe only allow Gold & Platinum drivers to turn it off through the options menu so beginner drivers can't simply ignore the rating system without turning off their entire HUD. I don't know, just a thought :p

chksix likes this.
  10. @Minolin
    The news about the SRO championship is sensational. However, most users will not be part of it. This only affects 24 riders at the end. Being that of mortals only 3. Not to mention that you still have to be swimming in the money. For those who do not live in Europe only if they are rich.

So, despite having adored the news, it does not change anything for me.

11. Minolin

Not really sure. While I totally sit in the same boat - lack of talent, practice, money and everything (additionally I think nobody would even trust me in case I manage to do a top10 time :D).

Still, I'm sitting here, right in this moment, and desperately want to see a livestream (or at least live timing) to follow Enzo Bonito sitting in a X-Bow in Mugello. Right now. All I have is a note from the free practice, and a possibly intermediate state that our simracing rookie is on pole. I had the same desire to see him (or other cool guys I'm definitively rooting for, like @Hany or Kamil) competing in our own ACC realm. With this esports effort, I will have one more slot in my "mandatory must-watch racing program". I'd even sacrifice a F1 weekend or my holy VLN attendance for a Blancpain esports race - so I doubt it will not change anything, or I won't be part of it.

(well speaking as "private me", without the distracting fact that I'm also part of Kunos and therefore the whole story anyways - and the sad fact that I most likely will miss the races more or less)

chksix and Hany like this.
  12. 100% agree with your post. SimRacing is always been THE way to cultivate a passion for engines and races and experience emotions and sensations as the real world directly from own house, without spending anything.
    This, btw, will be a COOL event to bring someone onboard a Lamborghini. It deviates a bit from what SimRacing is always been and always will be. That doesn't mean will be the only official event.
    I cannot image the entire scripts made for the ranking system not used on this event, neither setup (regulations impose normal setups made by Kunos: Normal, Aggressive and Wet).
    So I feel sure to say that events we are looking for still have to come.
    Let's see, for example, what is loved of another simulator like iRacing: The championship and automatic systems/races and the road to the World Championship, made by everyone, directly from people's houses. iRacing is always been a success and a loved sim for that. I'm sure Kunos won't take a so different road to grow the "Competizione" .
    It's one awesome event. Will not be THE one ;)

13. BoinkTheBeaver

BoinkTheBeaver Simracer

Agree. Sure, I have registered to silver cup, but only to put in some laps for fun. I have family and work so I cannot put in the hours required. What I am excited about is racing with friends (yes, already made lots of friends in this game, nice!) and others in same level, and for that any development around MP or availability of cars and tracks is huge news for me.

D.Jankovic likes this.
  14. Coanda

Coanda Alien

Following on from my previous post:- Update 0.6 - MP & Ratings Rebooted which I am also still a little confused by.

What has made me a little more confused is when I do better and keep the Overdrive red bar down my Overdrive percentage on the right hand side is a high number. Should this not say 4% rather than 96%? I am also curious will Push values ever be represented on the right hand side?

cc3.jpg

15. Coanda

Coanda Alien

For me personally I am happy option "A" is your choice.

16. It could be B while you are driving and A when you go back to look at your rating. Then you can have a immediate feedback of your overdriving, knowing that, if your CC dropped because for example your kid tried ACC, the impact will not so heavy.

grrdabrr and menos | M6 like this.
  17. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Just an observation with CC and CN ratings in 0.7

I did run a few of the Monza hotstints at first and then some solo laps in a server where my CC and CN where both around 92-93 then someone joined the server in practice. I caught up to the guy and spent maybe 2 to 3 laps behind him and a bit off pace as he was maybe 1 to 2 seconds per lap off my usual pace, I wasn't in a massive hurry to pass (trying to build some trust) but he was also quite defensive. So I drove very close to his rear had a few little looks on the outside as he was defending insides quite aggressively and I wasn't keen on a dive bomb to get my first SA contact lol. After these few laps my CN dropped to mid 80's and CC dropped to low 80's.

My thought on this is that possibly these ratings should be relaxed a bit for cars in traffic, maybe they shouldn't improve as you wont have perfect lines and inputs. But I think good car control is shown if in traffic you can drive close with no contact and also make a clean pass, highly likely much of this wont be the same as running clean laps not in traffic. I will see how it pans out over time but looking at this if you happened to be in a race and got a bit back in the pack where you cant run your hotlap line you will likely get smashed in these 2 ratings, this may encourage people to race others overly aggressively to get past ASAP to make sure they can run their hotlap lines and keep their ratings up. I think that's not something that should really be encouraged in racing so possibly if this is an issue in some way while in attack range the CC and CN can reduce their expectations and maybe even CC could calculate how much car control someone shows in traffic by running close and clean with clean passes.

LeiF, tjr and Oblit0r like this.
  18. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

I agree, I noticed this in 0.6 too. I put the rating focus on CC and did some races with the AI, when you're behind them and it's not possible to overtake them or you have to brake a lot earlier not to run into the back of them, the CC will give you "Very slow" and "Quite slow" like all the time. Also, when 2 AI are side by side and you're closing in on them and you have to slightly lift before entering the braking zone, the color-thing from the CC rating will turn dark blue, meaning you're not driving on the edge, but it's impossible at that time to drive on the edge.
    I'm normally in the 90-93 range with CC, but when racing with AI it's very easy to lose a lot of CC rating (dipping into the 70s) and it's very hard to build CC back up when you're near the AI. When you're in clear air for a couple of laps, you'll get back to the normal rating in no time.
    This is one of the reasons why I would like to see an option for ratings to be turned off. I get the feeling like I'm driving incorrectly and then try to correct it by pushing harder and end up overdriving the car, until I think to myself, 'sod it, I'm just gonna ignore the ratings'.

I haven't really done these races in 0.7 yet, but will test it to see if this is still the case and upload some footage of what I mean

19. BoinkTheBeaver

BoinkTheBeaver Simracer

About the CC, check page 10 on this thread, there is couple of posts from Minolin that explain it very well.
    At least I understood the "Car Control" rating wrong before reading it :D

20. Oblit0r

Oblit0r Alien

Ok, here's the video:

Am I correct in saying the first lap will always show 'Very slow' on every corner, even though some of the colors will show green-ish?
    And yes, I totally underfueled because I suck as mafs :D

The CC rating in 0.7 seems to jump around less compared to 0.6. But the issue is the same; Driving behind AI, having to lift earlier when approaching braking zones, having to drive slowly through turns, not being able to brake as late as possible with 100% brake force will negatively impact the CC rating.
    At around 1:40 into the video I have to lift slightly as I have more speed than the AI in front of me, notice how immediately the rating-color turns to dark blue.
    At around the 14:08 minute mark into the video, you can see the rating drop from 91 to 86, next lap it drops to 83.

Seeing I get 'Quite slow' and 'Very slow' makes me think I'm going slow through the corner, but thanks to Jarkko (post above) I now understand that I'm not using the maximum capabilities of the tires instead (please correct me if I read the post on page 10 wrongly). Maybe it would be possible to change the 'Slow' part in the CC rating, to something like 'Underdriving tires'?

It's not always possible to drive on the limit with other cars around.