1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

TrackIR and head tracking discussion

Discussion in 'ACC Hardware Discussions' started by KillZoneGB, Mar 9, 2018.

1. poupoule

poupoule Rookie

Actually, a lot of recent racing games don't have TrackIR. WRC7 (and sadly WRC 8 too)/vRally 4/TT Isle of Man by Kylotonn, MotoGP & Ride series by Milestone, Dakar 18 by BigMoon... (Those games by Milestones and BigMoon are on Unreal 4, btw)
    Even if they're not really "sim" IMO, and not AAA games like MS or Codemasters.
    (Actually, are you sure about trackIR for FH4 ? I thought MS gave up a while ago, after Forza Motorsport 4 IIRC ?)

Now, I know, Kunos is not a AAA company aswell (even though they're making top notch games, so far). Just have to keep faith.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  2. guitarwiz1

guitarwiz1 Gamer

But they have VR in the game and I'm sure a lot more people own TrackIR than VR headsets.

3. warth0g

warth0g Hardcore Simmer

I just hopeful that now that the game is released and we’ve had the first few hot fixes that Kunos might get around to adding some of these “nice to have” features. They’re community-pleasers, and the sort of thing that might make a Race Department article on a slow news day. We can but hope

4. Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari Racer

When I bought ACC I never dreamed it wouldn't have Trackir because AC has it. If it stays this way i'll stop playing ACC. Using buttons to look around is an immersive killer. I have no interest in VR.

5. Bobobski

Bobobski Rookie

As a long time TIR user it has taken me a while to get use to not having it there. I gave ACC’s version of look to apex a go, but like a lot of people I discovered that the problem with this is the same issue that VR suffers from if you remove the synchronisation between head motion and what you see happening on the screen; something quite nausea educing after a while.

Which, incidentally, is pretty much the same feeling I get when I hear people declare that TIR is not needed and we should just map a couple of buttons to look left and right :)

6. Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari Racer

You barely have to move your head to see the apex. It's really a non issue. In flight sims I can look behind me with no effort. Race sims in comparison are simple to look around.

However, it's your choice. Using buttons doesn't work well for me.

7. Bobobski

Bobobski Rookie

Ah, there I go not explaining myself too well again - Apologies for the misunderstanding my friend, I'm also a big fan of TIR and have had to get use to not using it, simply because, well, I can't of course :)

I mentioned nausea because, as I found out, your brain needs to sync a head movement (no matter how small) with moving the camera, which you don't get with the current move the wheel to move the camera implementations - I agree, button activated look is no substitute either.

8. vortex19

vortex19 Simracer

I get nauseous every time I've tried VR but I have no problems at all with the implementation of look-with-wheel in ACC. I had to play around with the settings a little but now (until TrackIR support arrives - please!!!) it's not too bad at all IMHO - and much better than just staring ahead all the time.

9. warth0g

warth0g Hardcore Simmer

Do we know how difficult it is to implement TrackIR? Just wondering if when they do get round to it, it would be a relatively quick fix or not....hoping it’s not a hard thing to do, doesn’t seem like it should be.

10. jaxx_za

jaxx_za Hardcore Simmer

I'm not sure that it's a question of the once off effort/difficulty, but rather the complexity that will result from forking the UE4 build (similar to the triple screen issue).

Kunos mentioned that one of the key reasons for going with UE4 was to reduce the amount of time spent developing and maintaining the game engine, so that they could focus their efforts on gameplay.

Once they build custom functionality for triple screens / trackir, they effectively create a fork of the vanilla UE4 release, meaning that every time a new game engine version is released they would need to go back and add back the functionality. This could become quite a task as changes made to UE4 could break the custom functionality they created, requiring bug fixes and potentially significant rework.

There is a significant case to rather wait for the game engine Devs to build the functionality to avoid this added complexity.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

steno likes this.
  11. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Or possibly write the code such that it can be submitted back to upstream and might be included by the game engine devs in one of the next releases.

12. warth0g

warth0g Hardcore Simmer

I hope that’s not the case, that’s pretty depressing if so. I really want TrackIR for my rig

13. vortex19

vortex19 Simracer

So you're saying that it's not possible to just have a plugin for TrackIR without having to change the base code?

14. jaxx_za

jaxx_za Hardcore Simmer

I don't know, but based on the fact that Kunos would rather wait for Epic to develop the triple screen support, I suspect that plugins too will need constant rework for each UE4 release.

15. viffviff99

viffviff99 Gamer

That'll be me giving up on ACC for the time being then...... :(... at least until some kind of head-track support arrives...

16. jaxx_za

jaxx_za Hardcore Simmer

Don't. I'm just speculating (which I probably shouldn't have done).

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

17. vortex19

vortex19 Simracer

I think that the triple screen problem needs something changing within the code to generate the separate images, whereas the TrackIR problem seems to just needs something to manipulate the view in real-time. Or maybe I'm just over-simplifying things.

stefanoCasillo likes this.
  18. mister dog

mister dog Alien

19. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

First, I'd say if it's implemented then properly, not by a lousy hack.
    Second, they don't need to implement what you asked for, you can use software like JoyToKey or similar to assign a joystick to a keyboard input.

20. But this would be a digital input, right? No axis simulation. By the way there is also free track, not only TrackIR.