1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Are you satisfied with the Unreal engine in simracing?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Ace Pumpkin, Jul 10, 2019.

Tags:
?

Are you satisfied with the Unreal engine in simracing?

Poll closed Jul 24, 2019.
  1. Yes

45.1%
  2. No

34.6%
  3. Not decided yet

20.3%
  1. menos | M6

menos | M6 Hardcore Simmer

The issues mentioned by the other poster are exclusively visible when using triple screens and using the image warp post processing workaround to reduce the effect of perspective distortion on the side screens.
    Single screen users have none of the issues - image on single screen setups are crisp and sharp (and actually also in replay cameras other than cockpit view with triple screen use as the image warping apparently is disabled then).

The issues Temporal aliasing methods introduce that are quoted by triple screen users are heavily increased when having to use the image warp PP workaround (the temporal AA method algorithm uses lower quality image data (massively softened and re-sampled) to apply AA hence a MUCH heavier production of artifacts (not just ghosting but heavy artifacts).

This combination of two post processing methods is the real issue triple screen users have with the current workaround implementation. Single screen users do not suffer from this.

Currently it is best for triple screen users to try to minimize the use of the image warping PP workaround (use as low a multiplier as possible) and very carefully apply super sampling and sharpening while playing with different levels of AA.
    For me currently a warping factor of 0.6, super sampling 120 and sharpening 105 looks like the best compromise with 1080@60Hz triple screens at 30deg angled side screens. It is not perfect but it is usable.

stefanoCasillo likes this.
  2. Coanda

Coanda Alien

ACC is already sexy as and I can only image how super sexy it is in 1440p or 4k. For all the nice visuals the UE4 has to offer and the hard work the kunos artists are doing, there are still many objects like in these video examples that bring it back a little step. Video #1 you can see issues with the green rails and in video #2 shows at 12pm noon the pit flashing indicator lights illuminating poles and reflective objects 100m away. Hopefully they get on top of the lighting issues and prioritise the shimmering objects not just in the foreground but in the the far distance as this is more problematic. Others have mentioned shadows. I can live with the tunnel shadows running along grandstands. The near/far transitions on objects need a little more work in my opinion however I turn off DOF (engine.ini) as I was finding many objects popping in and out of focus abruptly. I would love to have DOF for replays only and not whilst I race. One can dream I guess...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  3. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

I really enjoy the lighting and shadows, materials are great, I don't have any significant performance issues (1080Ti, 3660x1440).

Going back to AC feels really bland, and it has a lot more issues with flickering and stuff like that.

Of course UE4 could be better, but it's a huge improvement on the inhouse engine from AC.

MTv and anthony galmiche like this.
  4. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Now that's something that was explained by the Lord himself many times.
    Short summary: no, the old graphics engine was more or less a dead end

5. th3o

th3o Hardcore Simmer

Only issues i have with UE4 in its current state in the game is these shadows popping in on trees relatively late although everything is set on "epic", the shining lights of cars come in a bit too late and tend to disappear in distance and there is sorta of a strange illuminated horizontal line in front of my car that i am 'pushing' in front of me.
    on that note: (i was playing ghost recon wildlands the other day and holy molly, during the night the light cones of cars can be seen for such long distances)

6. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

That's something I'm going to find out, when my 5120×1440 screen arrives. I guess I'll watch the slide show once or twice and then – unfortunately – have to lower the settings a bit. ^^

Atak_Kat likes this.
  7. Coanda

Coanda Alien

Is that the 32:9 49"? if so I have my eye on that too... shout out how it runs when you get it pal :)

Atak_Kat likes this.
  8. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Yeah exactly, but my system won't be a good reference since it's pretty old. I'm going to upgrade to Ryzen 3000, but I'm going to wait until it's more widely available and most of the BIOS bugs were fixed.

Coanda likes this.
  9. Atrip3

Atrip3 Racer

Not according to my sources.
    Let's see what happens

10. Coanda

Coanda Alien

For sure matey. I also will need a full upgrade. I'm going to try and hold off until next year. Got to get my hands on a DD2 first.

11. If I understand this correctly it's not really the shadows but the actual tree model switching from a simplified version to a more detailed one that also tends to generate more shadows.

Max Doubt and th3o like this.
  12. th3o

th3o Hardcore Simmer

Gotta take another look, but for me it seemed like the tree model is already fully there, foliage lod distance is set to epic, and the shadows on leaves etc (or their ambient occlusion, sorry if i confuse here terms) are building up on the model as the tree comes closer.

Max Doubt likes this.
  13. Coanda

Coanda Alien

@th3o - maybe a video would help

th3o likes this.
  14. it's totally possible the far-most shadow doesn't have enough resolution to catch the various leaves... my money is still on the tree model getting more details, but the sad moral of the story is that it is what it is... these are the techniques available in this time in history so it'll always be a war of compromises. Some people can be particularly sensible to different element in the scene.. also there is the terrible effect of "I can't un-see it now".

15. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Is it possible to have an option to just always have the high quality models? Even if it’s a large performance hit but something that later GPU’s will help with

16. th3o

th3o Hardcore Simmer

I just uploaded a short video, it may take a bit for the quality to be buffered in by Youtube but already you may be able to see what i mean on the trees on the left while i drive.
    Edit: Ok, its in 4k quality now.

Timberwind, Epistolarius and chksix like this.
  17. it'll probably turn into a slideshow at 5fps :(

18. Coanda

Coanda Alien

aha now I got you pal. That's what I call shadow tunnel which you find on grandstands... yeah it's not great.

th3o likes this.
  19. th3o

th3o Hardcore Simmer

Is it an easy programming fix or something deeper?

20. Coanda

Coanda Alien

I tried playing around with r.Shadow.DistanceScale in the engine.ini and it did have an effect on the guard rails however if i pushed it did weirdo things to the shadows in the cockpit.