1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Are you satisfied with the Unreal engine in simracing?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Ace Pumpkin, Jul 10, 2019.

Tags:
?

Are you satisfied with the Unreal engine in simracing?

Poll closed Jul 24, 2019.
  1. Yes

45.1%
  2. No

34.6%
  3. Not decided yet

20.3%
  1. th3o

th3o Hardcore Simmer

Guys, can you try these settings and say how you like it? I think i might like it better than the default.

Contrast 0.60
    Exposure 0.30 or 0.20

2. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

UE does have some good points, however for me the bad points make it a troublesome engine. It’s AA methods are less than adequate and it tends to be a resource hog, because none of the UE titles I have perform particularly well on my rig many titles struggle to get over 100fps, whereas I can achieve frame rates of 350+ on AC.

Nahkamarakatti likes this.
  3. th3o

th3o Hardcore Simmer

Though i think it has big potential just needs more work in general and updates (not just ACC, the engine itself). And for me it already is the best looking Racing Game on the market.

vortex19 and romandevision like this.
  4. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Again as mentioned before, comparing AC to ACC is ridiculous. AC Early access was 6 years ago! Would be the same as saying that the new Frostbite engine Dice used for Battlefield 5 is crap because I can run Bad Company 2 at 300fps+ but BF5 struggles to get 60...

Of course it will punish hardware, it SHOULD punish hardware, it’s new and needs to be relevant for a long time to come. What kind of FPS did AC have on first release?

Rolz, GroteBakkes, menos | M6 and 4 others like this.
  5. Captain Barracuda

Captain Barracuda Hardcore Simmer

The game is very CPU intensive which could have a lot to do with the physics complexity of all the cars moreso than just the implementation of UE4. I've run ACC on both a 8086k and a 9400f, both 6 cores but obviously clock speed/hyperthreading differences, however with the same in game settings I had to run my monitor at 90hz with the 9400f where I could run it at 120hz with the 8086k. Of note is that the game utilises all threads/cores, so with a quad core 4790k that will be impacting you a bit. Yes it's a great chip (I've owned one!), but it is still a quad core and is 5 gens old.

So to conclude yes you will be able to run it reasonably (tell 2008 Ben Lee that you were playing this at 100fps and he'll likely start drooling because he still can't run Crysis at 1440*900 smoothly), but maxing it out on a 4790k and 1070ti @ 300+ fps won't happen.

6. Jacobs

Jacobs Racer

Depends if you are using post processing. Default 0.50 contrast is way too much for me if i have PP enabled and it's okay if i have it on low. With PP set on mid-high i have to use 0.35 or 0.40.
    Just go with settings you are comfortable with. It's totally subjective.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  7. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

I get about 180fps in Battlefield 1 using the Frostbite engine from DICE. Most UE engine first person shooters I struggle to get over 100fps. I have Hell Let Loose, Sandstorm 2 and a few others. None of them perform brilliantly.

I get around 250-320fps in Project Cars and Project Cars 2, not that I think much of those games in sim terms, but in ACC I struggle to get above 120fps, and thats with a lot of settings turned down.

I just think the UE has a high overhead for whatever reason. None of the games look amazing because of questionable AA methods and perform averagely (in my opinion).

bobken and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  8. th3o

th3o Hardcore Simmer

120fps in ACC with a 1070ti? I think thats more than good news considering that the card is a 1440p 60fps Ultra Settings card.
    i get in a 16AI field of cars clear weather for example in Barcelona 120fps on average during the first lap with everything maxed out on 1440p

9. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Hardcore Simmer

Engine looks pretty good to me. I'm a mid/low level rig in sim terms but my 4790k and 2070 deliver a pretty good experience at 2560x1080.

10. Well, all of the games I own that use Unreal4 suffer like ACC with performance and the same "problems" in the shadows popping and requiring a lot of processing besides the antialiasing method. If that's going to change any further, I think it's up to Epic to work on the improvements that Unreal needs, rather than game developers. This is not to say that the Devs can not try to see if it is possible to bypass or circumvent Engine shortcomings, Kunos showed this with his KTAA

Romneyb likes this.
  11. romandevision

romandevision Simracer

What are your settings at 60 fps? For example, with 28 AI, night, rain.

12. Russ Petersen

Russ Petersen Rookie

Night and rain really slow things down. All I can say is even at 2560x1440 I can't achieve 60fps on my rig. Running a recent i5 cpu 8840 or something like that, vega 64. I can achieve 60fps on Pcars2 with all eye-candy on with 30 AI except in case of rain or night at 4k. The fact that I can't even get day races to run at 60fps at 2560x1440 on ACC shows it has issue. Yeah, it might look a bit better here and there but it's not like it's wholesale dramatically better looking so I feel the comparison is pretty valid.

DiRTMark likes this.
  13. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Hm. Night and rain don't seem to be an issue on my system. It's when many cars are in view (particularly when viewed with track cameras) and for some reason the lighting in the morning hours where performance really drops for me.

jaxx_za likes this.
  14. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Yeah, Vega 64 and UE4 don't play too well together, unfortunately.

15. Max Veloce

Max Veloce Racer

can I vote yes and no

yes - on a 43" megawide it looks GREAT (shadow / LOD pop is a bit annoying but I can kinda tune it out)

no - in VR its horrid, and I really wanted to play in VR... I guess we're waiting on improvements there but I suspect its going to take next gen GPU to get that solid 90fps at decent quality

Still, it drives great and I cant help but like it overall :)

16. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

There’s a third option, just saying.

17. aldafix972

aldafix972 Rookie

Hello,
    The questions to ask yourself with UE4:
    From the point of view physics cars there is more possibilities
    From the graphical point of view of cars and tracks are there more possibilities. Of course while being playable for the greatest number, without having equipment worth a fortune.
    But if the benefits are minor, then why complicate the life.
    JF

18. trasgu

trasgu Simracer

In general I like UE4, but I hate: the popping even maxing out the graphics and that the act of activate the mirrors even at the lowest setting worth 20fps+ not even in the gpl times I needed to deactivate the mirrors to have a decent frame rate.