1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Are you satisfied with the Unreal engine in simracing?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Ace Pumpkin, Jul 10, 2019.

Tags:
?

Are you satisfied with the Unreal engine in simracing?

Poll closed Jul 24, 2019.
  1. Yes

45.1%
  2. No

34.6%
  3. Not decided yet

20.3%
  1. im pretty sure they are 2 different problems.. but ya, as I've said before it's something we'll have to learn to live with, it's unlikely to go away anytime soon.

th3o and Coanda like this.
  2. th3o

th3o Hardcore Simmer

Okay, got it, thanks :)
    Will delete the video now from my channel, or unlist is so whoever sees the conversation can have a look.

Ace Pumpkin and stefanoCasillo like this.
  3. Coanda

Coanda Alien

all good... doesn't do my head in :)

4. thebaz

thebaz Rookie

Since I changed my gaming PC from a i5 with 16Gb to a i9 with 32Gb and from a GTX1070 to a RTX2080Ti, I have to say I am really satisfied... I am on a single ultrawide 49" monitor, can't say for those using triples or VR... Then I have to add all the releases after 1.0.0 are going to be the real 1.0.0 version, so I am happy with that despites all the bad words I saw on the Internet during the last month...

Serge M and Coanda like this.
  5. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Here’s something fairly funny. I have always run ACC locked at 45 FPS, by locked I mean I run setting high enough so it never tries to go over 45 FPS. With the last few updates though I have noticed it jumping up a bit though in to 60-70fps range. (I run the performance/FPS counter all the time). The side effect of this though is that when it jumps over 45 FPS I get a fair amount of stutter and general roughness, this is obviously an Oculus issue with the way it transitions from full ASW to higher FPS. Obvious solution is to either increase settings again or just lock ASW to always on but interesting that an obvious optimisation improvement can still be perceived as a step back due to external factors

6. Wipeout

Wipeout Rookie

What about adding an always low asset or always medium asset option.
    No matter what opinion I set my foliage, trees etc even low they still change depending on how close they are to my relative position.

Why not add an option for always low / always medium or 2d cheap *** trees for those who really don't care about the tree it's self but will do ANYTHING to get rid of these annoying issues.

Additionally, Ian bell recently said you guys were offered to use his Madness Engine for a management fee (same as automobilista) and you guys didn't go that route, do you think (retrospectively) that was a mistake?

AMS2 is current,y the most hyped and anticipated sim title in years, as it will land with VR/24hr day night / seasons / live track / dirt / air temp and air pressure etc and genre defining gfx!

As we all agree the physics aren't amazing in PCars, but as we all know the physics model is based on old ISI and can be modified in the same way as Unreal can go from a FPS engine to a physics based racer.

I honestly think if you guys were let loose on the madness engine you truly could have crafted the perfect sim!

TLDR:
    1) Can you add a static trees / always low quality trees / always medium quality tree model option (or even 2d trees) as an option to allow users to mitigate all these graphical flaws we are working within?

2) do you regret not choosing madness when the opportunity and discussions arose?

7. Serge M

Serge M Alien

While PCars2 was very prety and I had some awesome moments driving evening in to night and in to morning on the Nordschlife in VR I don’t think it really compares to what ACC does now. You really just need to race against a good group of people in the wet to appreciate the way the spray and reflections work. Or simpler still, sit in the pits at night and have the guy in the pit box in front of you hit the brakes, the way your interior lights up with the red brake light glow is quiet special

8. th3o

th3o Hardcore Simmer

I am glad they did not choose Madness Engine as i really don't like its general/overall Style to be quite honest. I think it kinda looks 'dated', at least in PCars2 and also in that Automobilista 2 trailer. Maybe it comes also down to how it is handled and they could've done much more if it was not for their game also having to run on current gen consoles. But seeing what ACC looks like when maxed out, it's just superb. And the game still has some polish to come.

Can someone explain to me what the difference is in the graphics settings between high and low Light Absorption? I can't see a difference.
    Also can't see a difference while driving between HLOD enabled/disabled :(

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  9. Captain Barracuda

Captain Barracuda Hardcore Simmer

Low absorption makes surfaces appear brighter, like more light is reflecting off walls, curbs etc. It's quite a noticeable difference, especially while sitting int he pits with a light grey pitwall to compare. Perhaps you have dynamic contrast or something turned on on your screen that counteracts it? High absortion diffuses more of the light hitting surfaces. HLOD I haven't tested.

10. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Which one is more representative of the real world?

11. Jacobs

Jacobs Racer

Overall ACC by default has too much contrast, saturation and it's too dark. Good that they are giving us options to tweak it a bit. It's subjective and depends a lot on your monitor. I use low.

12. Serge M

Serge M Alien

I’m in VR, looks decent to me, especially the lighting. I was specifically asking in relation to the Light Absorption setting though, curious what it’s suppose to do

13. Coanda

Coanda Alien

I also use low. My monitor is pro calibrated for photo editing. It's great Kunos have given us the options to tweak it.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  14. menos | M6

menos | M6 Hardcore Simmer

I am not sure if you ever had the time or interest to experiment extensively with the combination of Assetto Corsa + Content manager + Custom Shader Patch and the very, very complex customization of graphics related settings.

One of the major assets of this combination is the customizability with a UI of deep rendering settings that allows for very precise adjustments among many others of LOD distance thresholds, shadow details and a plethoria of graphics related settings.

Users who choose to squeeze out every bit of eye candy possible from the old Assetto Corsa can this way indeed achieve a very high level of smooth operation without any LOD and shadow popping while at the same time retain perfect performance with very large fields of cars (50 +) - given a current high end PC is running it.

I know the UE4 engine is rather new and you guys have all your hands on deck busy working on ACC but perhaps in teh future it would be nice to get access into detailed graphics fine tuning options (first by ini / json files with basic documentation of each setting within the files as a comment and later possibly with a proper UI) allowing each user to individually fine tune their ACC to their needs.

The performance needs for a user running a single screen at 1080 with a high end GPU and CPU are indeed VERY different from the user who tries to get ACC running with a mid range PC and VR.
    Also user experiences are VERY different.
    Some users like to only hotlap with all graphics turned up to 11 and best possible image quality, while others focus on best possible performance with lower graphics settings and focus on e-sports.

This is just part of a single Custom Shader Patch related settings screen related to some of the possible graphics settings as an example: 2019-07-13-221805-screenshot.png Screenshot_1973_porsche_911_rsr_3.0_spa_25-4-119-14-55-11.jpg

th3o likes this.
  15. th3o

th3o Hardcore Simmer

Okay now i also see the difference. The way my monitor is calibrated "high" setting is perfect. "Low" blows everything up too much.

16. Loren Thomas

Loren Thomas Gamer

I would love that for foliage, other trackside objects and especially cars as well.

Right now I get cars switching LODs at probably 5m or less, which is pretty jarring. I will say thanks to Kunos for fixing some of the earlier issues with some of the LOD models, but there are still some nasty transitions - I think to do with transparency so maybe not as easily solved.

When actually driving, you notice these LOD and shadow pop-in issues a lot more than you would notice lower-poly models.

17. anthonylroy

anthonylroy Hardcore Simmer

Dam did not notice this , until your video, I can't unsee it now !!

18. th3o

th3o Hardcore Simmer

I am sorry mate :(:(:D

19. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Simracer

Yeah the shadow pop is pretty terrible. It was present in pcars2 as well but i eventually got over it.

I’m really hoping for a crisper aliasing and triples support. The latter seeming very unlikely.

20. Today I installed the ACC again, and to my surprise, I don't know if it was just build 1.0.6 or it allied to the new Nvidia driver, the SIM ran very well, (for knowledge I'm running in 4K) with everything in Epic except shadows at High and the mirrors in medium, using FXAA, i dont like Temporal, and ACC has remained between 52-65 frames, not ideal but in these same graphical options before badly kept 50 with drops below 40, I believe with a few more performance upgrades as well as a closer look at the shadows and mirros that consume much of the PC, ACC will finally begin to be what we all expect (in the visual / performance sense). The only thing in visuals boring me at moment are the shadows running alongside.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019