1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Driving Technique Discussion

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Karsten Beoulve, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Rip

Rip Gamer

I'm fairly new to ACC and just done a 30 minute online race in the BMW M4 GT3 car @ Spa, I believe my target tyre pressure was correct for the 2022 car after v1.8 (27.7psi) but through some parts of the race (fully warmed up mid race for example) some of the tyres were either 0.1 psi under or over my target temp and in both cases they were ever so slightly starting to turn yellow which would indicate that they are too hot. If my pressure is correct why would that be? Surely +/-0.1psi of the target temp wouldn't start overheating the tyres?

2. sizziano

sizziano Gamer

Tires don't overheat due to being outside of pressure range, at least not directly. It's overheating due to your driving style, track and setup.

3. Rip

Rip Gamer

Oh OK, with the same setup and track in Practice mode the tyres stayed green so maybe it's because I'm pushing harder or straying off of the line during racing? It looked to be just the very corners of the tyre indicator that were starting to turn yellow so I need to find out exactly what that means and how that indicator works so I can fix it.

4. AndyK70

AndyK70 Alien

@Rip If your tires are yellowish it's still normal during a race. The new tires are more likely to overheat (on the surface). All guides out there still refer to the pre v1.8 tire model.
    And about tire pressures, don't get to picky about some variation in pressure during a race. In the range from 27.0 to 27.9 dry tires should work absolutely fine.

5. Abe Duarte

Abe Duarte Rookie

Tyre pressure is independent from temps. If they are yellow all over, try opening brake ducts and decreasing toe. Also monitor inside and outside temps for temp variation between inside and outside of the tyre, change camber to keep that temp difference in check.

In racing conditions with changing weather you will experiment sub-optimal pressures and you have to work with them. Being at +-0.1 PSI is really almost perfect. In fact I like to aim low 27s if I think that temps may rise during the stint or go high 27s if I expect the opposite.

Sliding the car will overheat the tyres too, try not to overdrive.

AndyK70 likes this.
  6. John g

John g Simracer

There's no reason you can't have red hot tyres and still correct pressures. That's the whole point of adjusting your pressures, to suit the conditions and temperatures. A little yellow doesn't really matter

7. remi89

remi89 Rookie

Hi guys,

Don't know if it's the more appropriate forum but I didn't find one on driving skills. If needed, don't hesitate to switch it to the right one.

I'm still a beginner using ACC primarly in solo mode but I just tried a multiplayer session tonight and I have a question for you.

The players had very different levels (I ended 6th of 20 but the first one was 10 sec faster than me by lap at Silvestone:) ) and I saw the faster drivers (with another car, mainly BMW M3) were able to turn way faster than me.

The problem is that when I tried to follow them, my Aston Martin was losing grip so I can't folllow their pace.

In your opinion, is it more a problem from my driver skills, the choice of the car or the set up to work on ?

What advice would you give me to improve that ?

Thanks !

8. Ecnelis

Ecnelis Alien

10 seconds per lap difference? Are you sure? That does not sound right. What car are you driving (old stuff, like Gallardo, can be slow and heavier to drive than the newer cars), what setup?

If that's really the case: it sounds like a lack of driving skills and lack in the knowledge of the track... or something bad is happening somewhere else (car setup, controller, driver's assists and so on). Show us your onboard and settings and you will find help for sure.

9. What type of sims have you tried before ACC?

ACC requires you to use a lot of driving techniques from actual real life racing.
    Trailbraking, threshold braking, using the balance (forward/rearward) of the car to create grip and avoid over/understeer are all pretty important in order to achieve those faster laptime.
    Theres a youtube channel called Driver61 that has a ton of tips and knowledge on driving techniques that can definitly make you faster but a lot of it comes through time and efficient practice.

Knowing the tracks is also key like Ecnelis said above. A fast car will get you nowhere if youre taking the wrong lines all over the place.
    As always, Youtube is your friend here.
    Pick a track you like and watch some track guides to see if youre doing everything right.
    From braking points to line choice, but also details like how much you can or can not cut corners. (This will depend a lot on the car you drive btw so keep that in mind.)

Setup can also make a huge difference, but until you really know what youre doing, the “Safe” and “Agressive” default setups the game offers are pretty solid.
    This also goes for different cars btw, as some might suit your driving style better than others.
    Some cars, like the Aston Martin, are also more suited for beginners, whereas the Porsche is a bit more difficult to drive.

Id try a few and see what suits you best.
    And by trying I mean doing an extended practice session on a specific track until youve squeezed out every last tenth to the best of your ability and can repeat your laptimes consistently for a number of laps.
    Maybe start with the “Safe” setup first and after a while go with the “Agressive” default.
    Compare laptimes and consistency and then do the same thing with different car.

Winston and chksix like this.
  10. remi89

remi89 Rookie

I'm driving an Aston Martin GT3 and I have for the moment a Thrustmaster TX base and a TM OPEN Wheel.
    I don't know if I can have some footage from multiplayer session to show you an exemple ??
    my lap time was between 2.08 and 2.12 and the leader was at 2.02
    Thanks @The_Bad_Fasterd for these tips.
    As I wrote, I'm still a beginner so I certainly have many things to learn.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  11. mike reynolds

mike reynolds Hardcore Simmer

If your times at silverstone are around 2:08 then the issue is in the drivers seat (no disrespect intended), set ups won’t help you at this point, so just practice, practice, practice I’m afraid…..there are plenty of track guides on YouTube that will help, and if you can post a video of one of your laps on here you will get lots of helpful pointers.

12. Dewald Nel

Dewald Nel Hardcore Simmer

Post some footage if you want - private will also do, so we can give some constructive advice.

Really fast guys are in the 55s in hotlap mode and 56s on a quali lap on race weekends. So there is a lot of scope for improvement.

13. It will take a lot of time to learn everything and even longer to bring it all onto the track.
    Ive only been simracing for 4 years but still learning and improving my laptimes.

Most important part, imo, is to practice effectively. Mindless hotlapping will probably not make you faster.
    But its also about having fun, so dont feel bad if youre not doing those alien laptimes.

Like other people said, upload a lap on youtube where youre driving alone on a track you know well and people will probably be able to give you lots of useful tips!

Oh, and “turning full throttle” probably isnt a good id :D

14. remi89

remi89 Rookie

Thanks guys for your advices !
    It really help. Perhaps am I too impatient and would like to reach lap times too quickly.
    I'll "work" harder and I'll see if time, effort, and Youtube :) will help.
    Bye

15. Wolkenwolf

Wolkenwolf Racer

rule of thumb:set SP AI on 100% and beat them by 1 sec , than you are fast enough for midfield online :D

jörgen wahlby and chksix like this.
  16. ricxx

ricxx Racer

17. milko9000

milko9000 Rookie

I found "Zermatt" track guides quite a useful shortcut when I was getting to grips with ACC as a simracing newbie.

for Silverstone.

Obviously a lot of the video is things like braking points and line choice, but as part of that there's talk of how and when to get on throttle, other techniques and info, and through the course of learning a few tracks I found myself having a much better understanding of what I needed to do. Using things like Driver61 to learn trail braking principles etc at the same time is also very useful. Aris "track walk" videos if I want to get really detailed info on a track. After that I'm finding my laptimes are a direct function of how many hours I can devote to practice (never enough) and only now am I starting to try and learn setup in a bit more depth (still barely know what I'm doing past the very basics, still have a lot to learn about driving fast too).

chksix and remi89 like this.
  18. remi89

remi89 Rookie

Hi guys,

Just some fresh news to inform you that it seems I'm learning very fast (no disrespect intended @mike reynolds) because I just took the BMW M4 GT3 instead of the Aston Martin, with the safe setup and at the second lap my new best lap is now 2.04 !!!
    And what a day/night difference in the turns :)
    No "crying" tyres anymore at each turn and the need to slow down to avoid to be out of the track before the end of the turn.
    I'll go for this car and we'll see on the overall lap times after more training if the results follow.

Nice youtube links from all of you !

mike reynolds likes this.