1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Are AC street cars too easy to drive on the limit ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Caleb Mils, Feb 21, 2016.

1. And a tool to see what's going on, even nicer.

burrito likes this.
  2. As ouvert said rF2 is way more progressive (in a good way), look at your own video, you are either in a constant "90-deg-steering-understeer-wall" or either sliding the rears due to excess of power, almost like on/off sliding behaviour.

3. True. Especially dat McLaren is very tricky beast in AC. Is prone to understeer but when it turns into oversteer, you better be fast. Excessive power is like I said because I wanted to have some fun instead of clocking some magical lap time. :)
    Street cars in rF2 are much easier on the limit because of the unlimited progression. SAT FFB is way more immediate/direct too.

4. donShere

donShere Hardcore Simmer

Another reason I want to add. In panic mode most unexperienced drivers go completely off throttle when the back end starts to slide until it grips again, with still too much lock on it catapulting them the other way as soon is grip abruptly comes back because of the off throttle too long combined with too long counter steering because they wait until they see the car react.

Robin_NL and Rift Racer like this.
  5. WallyM

WallyM Alien

Quite true. We have had 1000s of hours over many sims getting used to what we perceive as ”realism” in reproduction of physical car behaviour, yet you put someone who has never driven a sim in front of your wheel and they'll say ”it is nothing like driving a real car”.

6. In real life, getting a feel for the limit is easier thanks to more feedback. Being on the limit, or over, is no easier. Especially compared to AC. At comparable speed vs my real life experience (thus far, blame having a slow car and slow tracks :p), I find other sims to be closer to my experience as far as being over the limit is. Under it they're all fairly similar of course. On AC I don't find like I need to be on top of things that much, I can overdrive and do stuff with the wheel and not really feel like I will crash. The only time I crash is when I'm driving extremely hard and end up on the grass, mostly on corner entry pushing the boundaries of track limits, or getting a bit of understeer here and there. Never self spins... Except maybe a couple cars with limited steering lock, like the F1 GTR. Or cars with enormous turbo lag and power, like the C9 LM.

I didn't save anything, it was normal driving. Like going to get some milk at the store :D

Understeer into snap oversteer usually is due to you turning the wheel too much, and then as you unwind and get on power you get the front end into the optimal range of the slip and get a sudden urge of grip from there. Which means that paired with the rear getting loaded with power will create abrupt oversteer.

D1visor, David Dominguez and burrito like this.
  7. Quffy

Quffy Alien

To me it happened, like in OP's irl nordschleife video. I don't always lose it there, but sometimes, and now was one of those moments.
    With default setup, TC off, Semislick tyres, Slow track grip.

Video has both exterior and onboard perspective.

8. sarabwt

sarabwt Simracer

22:35 - this is high speed off track with slicks... doesn't seem like much of a moment to me and this was the outside tire, not the inside one...

Anyway, what happens in a sim cannot be felt, so you really cannot give a definite "this is/isn't realistic" answer (it isn't).
    Could 1m drift over schwedenkreutz with one/two wheels on the grass? Probably... Will anyone do it? No. Noone has enough money, tries, reasoning or stupidity to test this intentionally.
    Is AC too forgiving? Probably.
    Does it make your driving (on track, maybe even road) better? **** yes it does (fact), even if it is too "easy".
    Do other sims do a better job? They might. Principles stay the same in every single sim, but other sims might give the car a bit different character.
    The thing is that you adapt to the car. In a sim, you can go on another level and really test the limit in a way, that you wouldn't dare IRL and this is another reason, why you can't compare the two...

RedLoto likes this.
  9. ^
    He was going in a straight line.

10. Quffy

Quffy Alien

If you are referring to William's video with the 1M, he didn't put any wheel on the grass on that section.
    But in AC you can lose the car completely if you put one rear tyre on the grass, I think usually happens with the outside rear tyre. edit. But of course depends on the situation and how angled the car is, or your speed+driver's inputs. You can also ride with two on tarmac two on grass and continue the race without spinning.

2nd edit, now that I took another closer look, possible the inside tyres went over the grass in william's video, but is tricky to judge well without a better perspective.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  11. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

I had a brownie moment on NS last summer in my GT86, getting cocky in the Bellow S section and getting the line wrong. Now, in the game I do that all the time and think nothing of it, but in real life you are hot, sweaty, it's the end of the lap, tires are getting greasy. ALL my instincts told me to "lift the throttle, this is too fast, you're gonna die!", but I knew that I HAD to keep the throttle down or I would crash for sure. Only my sim experience saved that situation, I'm sure of it. If I had been inexperienced (in the sim, and real life) I would have lifted, the car would have rotated and I would have crashed.

So, that situation WAS easy to save, technically. The car reacted just the way it does in the sim, and in the sim I think nothing more that "fcuk, there goes the laptime", while in real life it takes all your consious effort to go AGAINST your instincts and lift the throttle....

Also, you guys are *****les to find the NS crashes funny. They are expensive and dangerous, and the only thing you should take from those videos is "don't be that guy".

12. mistery

mistery Hardcore Simmer

If we were to use these horrible fail videos where peoples wallets and cars are smashed to bits for their 7 second segment of infamy as a benchmark for realism, then... where is the official Assetto Corsa Tourist lap fail compilation from random multiplayer replay footage edited similarly? If every virtual NS crash in a street car would be scrutinized like every damn crash is on YT then their number would outweigh RL fail videos 10:1, imo. Would that mean AC is too difficult compared to real life?

Just because you feel you are really really good with a plastic toy steering wheel does not mean AC is too easy. People argue, wether the same thing is true over hardcoded data in the game on several pages and you bring us a cesspool of some bad driving and a lot of bad luck compiled in crappy videos all over youtube. Your argument is invalid, I'm afraid.

witoldinho and aphidgod like this.
  13. donShere

donShere Hardcore Simmer

You missed the apex at the left hander. Earlier turn in there and using a lot of kerb requires less steering angle making the car more stable (less tail happy on the brakes).

14. I agree grass is way too forgiving in AC, it's one of the things I immediately notice when trying netKar PRO or iRacing.

Atle Dreier likes this.
  15. donShere

donShere Hardcore Simmer

Right, thats more like it.

16. baronesbc

baronesbc Simracer

yep but this happens also in other sims.. in the other topic i posted a video from rF2 where i was recovering oversteer continuously at very high speed (over 250 km/h) in a historic F1, touching the grass also.. but if it happens on rF2 is due to the better ffb and tire model. on AC, is just arcade :)

Nahkamarakatti and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  17. Radiantm3

Radiantm3 Hardcore Simmer

Me. Over 100 kmh. Wheel off track. Real life. Saved.

Slavc, Kristaps, Eero and 5 others like this.
  18. well you can't expect a car to implode into a singularity every time a piece of grass makes contact with a tyre :)

jaba1313, aphidgod, donShere and 3 others like this.
  19. burrito

burrito Alien

You'd be able to do that 9 times out of 10?

Nice save btw

20. Ricky Reject

Ricky Reject Hardcore Simmer

OMG singularity implosion feature confirmed soon?

jaba1313 and Minolin like this.