1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

AC used to simulate new circuit under construction

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by WallyM, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

[​IMG]
    The circuit looks like a nightmare to learn, they just didn't stop putting corners on it. I'm not sure it's too pleasing to drive.

2. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Depends? It's challenging, sure. But in that image there's also two-three regular GP-sized circuits in one, with the longest layout being longer than Spa within a much smaller area, it's bound to have many turns. Given the location and the relatively small area used I find the circuit pretty well executed.

Kembro likes this.
  3. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

But that's the thing. When you have such a long circuit crammed in a little area, you can always see they went like "Oh, let's put as many corners as we can so we won't let any of the area we have go to waste" which resulted in ~35 corners (double the amount from Spa which is roughly the same lenght), and in my opinion that's not the way to go. Also, the fact that the vast majority of turns are constant radius just shows that it was drawn in a computer, makes it a bit unnatural, and the lack of elevation changes just makes it worse (although I can't blame the people that designed it for that).

To me the thing about old circuits that's hard to replicate on new ones is that they usually followed the terrain, wether it's the elevation or vegetation, and that IMO made them feel a lot more natural and fun. New circuits are often composed of constant radius corners and made to use all the terrain available to make the largest circuit possible, which to me usually doesn't seem to end up so well.

But I hope I'm wrong, if I ever have the chance to try it out on AC, I hope it's a really good circuit and really fun to drive on.

4. Shaun Field

Shaun Field Gamer

The thoughts behind the circuit were to have 2 different circuits in the one place, One for great racing and one for great driving. The GP circuit has been set up for some fantastic overtaking places. The first 3 corners should allow cars to fight Back if someone attempts an out braking maneuver. 6 required a late apex for the best exit but the camber on the inside means you can steal track position. Turn 12's uphill braking section means it's a chance for some categories, and 17's late apex means late braking is possible.
    The East Circuit, the one with all the corners, has been designed to give a Nordschleife like experience, with corner after corner coming at you and some great combinations of corners. Overtaking was not a major consideration when designing this circuit.

SvenUilhoorn, Kembro and Poguinhas like this.
  5. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

That makes a lot more sense. From my POV, if you were to use the long layout for a race the drivers would be exhausted at the end, there are just no straights to 'rest' apart from the main straight, but the GP circuit seems a lot better in that regard. Also, looking back at the video, the track looks way better as a race track than I think it would had you used the long layout.
    I don't know about any other circuit in the world where the designers had the luxury of one circuit for racing and another one more focused on trackdays.

6. Georg Siebert

Georg Siebert Simracer

Why not?

7. Fat-Alfie

Fat-Alfie Hardcore Simmer

Because that's the ''track day" circuit?

8. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Frankly it doesn't matter if a circuit is "fun". It's racing. It's business. Drivers have to get used to the circuit if they like it or not.

9. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

Sure. But if you have the luxury of creating a circuit from scratch, you might as well try to make it nice to drive on (and nice to watch races on). F1, for example, has a lot lower audience in circuits like Hungaroring than they have at Spa.
    If you're a racing driver, you do what you're paid to do, but that's not an excuse to create bad circuits.

(Just to clarify, I'm not saying that The Bend is a bad circuit, now that Shaun explained to me it makes sense and I'm no longer under that impression.)

10. Kembro

Kembro Hardcore Simmer

Awesome to have so many styles in one design. Leipzig is planned in a similar way, to have one for wheel to wheel racing and the Dynamic Track for driving hot laps and to tune the handling. I prefer dynamic designs as a hot lapper. Maybe why I'm one of the few to love the Short Black Cat.

11. Georg Siebert

Georg Siebert Simracer

Don't give me this retorical bs. Either answer truthfully or just not.

12. Rudski

Rudski Alien

One for great racing and one for great driving. The East Circuit was designed to give a Nordschleife like experience, that's why.

13. Mogster

Mogster Alien

The lack of gradient changes and bland surroundings don’t excite me but then like modern Silverstone and Ricard it could turn out to be great to drive in the right car. I do think the length of the track and the lack of visual references could make it tough to learn.

At least the Aussies can get this sort of facility built, it’s next to impossible building a new circuit in the UK. I suppose Australia’s wealth of available land makes things easier though, in the UK you are nearly always in earshot of someone’s house...

Fat-Alfie likes this.
  14. Fat-Alfie

Fat-Alfie Hardcore Simmer

My reply wasn't "retorical bs", thank you very much. It was an uncertain response as I wasn't sure if I had read that information earlier in the thread :confused:

Why the need to be so offensive? o_O

15. He was probably grumpy due to the lack of road car race servers available online :p

Fat-Alfie likes this.
  16. Tibor Sólyom

Tibor Sólyom Hardcore Simmer

[QUOTE="Sure. But if you have the luxury of creating a circuit from scratch, you might as well try to make it nice to drive on (and nice to watch races on). F1, for example, has a lot lower audience in circuits like Hungaroring than they have at Spa.)[/QUOTE]

I like Spa much better then the Hungaroring too, but you're totally wrong. The number of spectators has not so much to do with the layout of the track.
    BTW the difference is not so big as you say, quite similar. Only the last 2 years Spa had a little more spectators because of Max Verstappen and Stoffel Vandoorne, not the Eau Rouge (260.000 vs 200.000 in total in 2017).
    What was your source? I guess you saw the grandstand of Kemmel Straight on TV.

17. Mogster

Mogster Alien

The Hungaroring has always attracted decent crowds. You get fans travelling from Italy, Germany, Austria.

I like it, it’s a drivers track, spectacular elevation changes for the TV also. The changes over the years have improved things quite a bit, even for F1. WTCR is there next week, it’ll be a good track for touring cars I suspect.

Fat-Alfie likes this.
  18. Tibor Sólyom

Tibor Sólyom Hardcore Simmer

I like it too, but not a Spa-Francorchamps of course.
    I just can't understand why people try to prove their wrong theory with imagined numbers. Not even considering to spend 1 minute to check them, before "declaring" :D

Yes, the Hungarian race was always popular for the foreigners, because it is cheap, and the closest opportunity for a lot of countries to see F1, eg. there were no Austrian GP for years. In the 90's there were 3-400.000 spectators in total.

Interesting what you said about the elevation changes. I always think on the Hungaroring as a flat circuit, because the 2nd and 3rd sector (where you can visit the track) are almost flat, and the 34m elevation change is mostly in the 1st sector, where I've never been :)

The only negative side is the lack of overtaking opportunities, which can cause sometimes quite boring races. I saw once Senna trying to pass Thierry Boutsen for laps, and despite he was much quicker, he couldn't (and we were quite happy :p). It was on the earlier, shorter start/finish line though.

19. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Yeah everyone old enough remembers the 1990 Hungarian GP :)

Yes the Hungaroring has changed quite a bit since the 80s when it was almost all corners. The pit straight was extended by about 1/3 and the first corner tightened, the corners at the start and end of the lap were removed also.