1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Generic AI difficulty

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by ChuckWagon, Sep 9, 2016.

1. ChuckWagon

ChuckWagon Racer

I purchased AC on Day 1 in the USA. After a couple of days I was concerned that I could not place above the bottom 3 in races, but did great on time trial points. I saw posts on the AI being too difficult.
    I just want to say that a little persistence and learning track/cars/game proves very satisfying when a persons skills get to the point of winning.
    To those who want to win on day 1, work on it. It is much more fun when a person works for the win. If this mid 70's person can win so can the youngsters.

To the developers: Thanks for a great game that will not become boring in a couple of weeks.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Console Lounge AI difficulty has a bug... Mar 2, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Difficulty level per track Feb 26, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Change difficulty level in championship Nov 20, 2022
    XBox One Discussions IA difficulty championship mode Jan 19, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Reflections on the difficulty of streaming and commenting on races and championships Mar 11, 2021
    Console Lounge PS4 vs PC wheel steering difficulty Jul 30, 2020
    ACC Gameplay difficulty change mid-championship May 11, 2020
    ACC Gameplay Change difficulty Apr 29, 2020
    ACC Gameplay How to set career difficulty Mar 26, 2020
    ACC Gameplay Question for Devs: Automatic Performance-based AI Difficulty Oct 29, 2019
    ACC Gameplay AI difficulty balancing Jun 26, 2019
    ACC Gameplay Career Difficulty Spike Issue Jun 24, 2019
    ACC Gameplay [1.0.0] How to change AI difficulty in career? May 30, 2019
    ACC Gameplay Is the AI Difficulty be set below 70% May 7, 2019
    ACC Gameplay AI difficulty vs Speed Apr 22, 2019

3. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

That's the spirit! I have over 1700 hours on the clock, and learn something new every time I fire up the engine.
    Definitely a long time "investment".

4. cmch15

cmch15 Gamer

The AI are inconsistent though. I started my career the other day in the Fiat 500's and the Alfa on hard. Mix of top 3 finishes, which was fine, and some enjoyable moments with the AI. Then I went onto the Z4 race at Nurburgring. Again on Hard so did not expect to win..... and I didn't, but the speed of the 3 AI in front was insane and they all followed each other in a perfect line. Then from quite a gap behind comes an M3 and just drives past me in a straight line putting me to 5th.

In order to try and get the top 3 finish required I turned it to Medium, running nicely in 3rd and the same happened again. M3 straight past on a straight putting me to 4th. Turned it to Easy, tried again and won by a mile.

5. Mauler_77

Mauler_77 Racer

Not played any career yet, only race weekends, but I agree that the AI is currently inconsistent and eagerly await the patch that hopefully is coming to fix it.

I'm finding the road cars a good challenge on Hard, and the race cars on Medium, but my biggest gripe is the open wheelers even on Easy. They're ridiculously quick, and oftentimes put in lap times as quick as the fastest human players on the online leaderboards. That's just not right. There's also some same class balance issues that often means same-make races can be more enjoyable, but as I said, I can't wait to see what Kunos have done to the AI in the forthcoming patch.

As it stands the game is still good fun though.

6. Fat-Alfie

Fat-Alfie Hardcore Simmer

What a fantastic post! And probably the best one to come out of the 'Console Era'!

I too have been at the "This is impossible!" stage and through perseverance and determination I have been able to move my AI slider from 80% to 95%-98% (once I have learned the track and car), giving immense satisfaction :)

Skemekos123 likes this.
  7. Bibbles

Bibbles Simracer

I think your not understanding the meaning behind the word , may I suggest you go look up the word easy in a dictionary.

Easy - Medium - Hard , should be just that.

I really do not understand the sence of superiority when it comes to people saying easy is anything but , its been well reported that this game needs a difficulty adjustment and an AI re balance but still you get those that like to condescend.

If a good racer has to practice practice practice just to win on easy what hope is there for lesser skilled players ?

Said player will simply put the game down and move on and rightly so , a comfortable win should be " easily " achievable for any casual player and then after practice you move up the ranks to medium- hard etc , but please let players that want to enjoy and have fun be able to do just that , not everyone is Ben Collins and after a hard days work not everyone has the time to practice practice practice just to succeed on easy , this is why there are levels of difficulty to suit everyone.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    MBK72, mjdmzn, Richard Mair and 2 others like this.
  8. Fat-Alfie

Fat-Alfie Hardcore Simmer

So you think a casual driver should be able to jump into a single-seat racing car and comfortably win a race in real life??

You know this is a simulator, right? May I suggest you go look up the word simulator in a dictionary? ;)

Ace Pumpkin and Tomcul like this.
  9. Bibbles

Bibbles Simracer

Its a game mate no need for sarcasm, if going by your prognosis why even have difficulties?

People all need to learn the game and enjoy doing so , if your getting your backside handed to you on easy a player will soon become disillusioned and frustrated and not play at all and word will get round and as a result the game will lose sales now nobody wants that .

And in all fairness the game is a sim in the sence that it tries hard to simulate the physics of driving nothing else , the racing aspect is game very little in terms of motorsport is simulated

10. Mauler_77

Mauler_77 Racer

I can see your point, but the other day I was doing practice round Mugello in the Lotus Exos 125 and my best lap was a 1:32.3 and the fastest AI (which was set to EASY) was roughly 1.5 seconds quicker than me with a 1:30.9. The top times on the RSR leaderboards from a human driver is 1:30.5. Easy AI should no way be that fast, perhaps Alien or even Hard could be, but not Easy.

Kunos made an error, which is fine, and they've said they've fixed all the AI balancing plus even put a Very Easy mode in. Hopefully in a month or so all players can find a level suitable to enjoy. I don't even care if I play on Easy or Alien, as long as I can find a good level of AI to race against.

Stepy and Bibbles like this.
  11. Nobby76

Nobby76 Alien

Yes it's very refreshing to see someone from the console side who actually has something positive to say..

The big thing with this compared to other sims, is its actually hard to play.. It's not NFSU2 where you just get in a car and go, even Forza and GT are "simcade" they still have a touch of arcade game to them. I saw someone complain the other day that trying to drive one of the big end race cars was too difficult.. I was sat there thinking, well do you expect the real car in real life would be a breeze to drive?? of course not, so why expect the best simulator on the market to make it easy to drive ??

People want realistic but then complain when its as real as the real thing (possibly one too many "REAL" in there, but you get the idea) You either want it real or not real, if you want real expect it to be as hard to do as the thing you are imitating.
    So yeah its really nice to see someone say although it was hard they did manage to overcome the obstacle and now they feel good for doing it.

My big victory was taking the lotus 49 around the track without dying in some spectacular way. Eventually i managed it and can drive that car pretty well now, ive even taken it drifting a few times (Which is terrifying)
    Keep practicing @ChuckWagon eventually a lot of the cars will get easier to drive.

And to the guy who said "simulation" was refering to "trying to simulate the physics of driving" Actually that is incorrect, look at almost any promotional logo for AC it is clearly touted as a "Racing Simulator" not "Driving simulator" It simulates racing, all aspects of it. Not just making the driving physics feel right. But also how hard it should be to master the cars, how hard the opponents should be, and everything else that comes with racing..

Tomcul likes this.
  12. Bibbles

Bibbles Simracer

It certainly DOES NOT simulate all aspects of motorsport/ motor racing , if you truly believe that you do not follow motorsport.
    I could list a whole number of motorsport features this game does not at present have but its been done so many times you only need to search.

And if you serious think AI on easy should be producing faster lap times than professional real life racing drivers well face palm.

majuh and Mauler_77 like this.
  13. Daz730

Daz730 Racer

As a console user I'm absolutely elated at AC coming to our platform, I can see the point of all the arguments here and I believe a sim should be as real as possible and AC is as good as I've tried to date. As for difficulty I think the Ai isn't that bad I find easy quite easy and medium more of a challenge but I did win a race in the Ferrari 458 Road car the other night quite easily, hard is a different matter it is definitely a challenge and will take more practice, I haven't tried Alien yet, my point is its not ment to be something you can jump on and win with the difficulty set to Alien first go out what would be the point, Practice is essential and setup changes to suit your driving style and you will get faster

Fat-Alfie and Mauler_77 like this.
  14. Mauler_77

Mauler_77 Racer

I'm finding the road car AI easier to deal with than the race cars myself. Try the 458 GT2 and see what you think. I struggled round Spa and especially Monza in that car against either single make or same class. Such a great car to drive though.

15. Bibbles

Bibbles Simracer

The main point is AI should not be faster than real life professional drivers whilst set to easy .

Daz730 likes this.
  16. Daz730

Daz730 Racer

The GT2 Ferrari is awesome I love it best time at Spa is a 2:20.1 and also I do agree with the fact that the Ai shouldn't be faster than a pro driver when set to easy personally I don't think it is and I certainly don't class myself as a pro driver by any means

17. Bibbles

Bibbles Simracer

Check the RSR

Daz730 likes this.
  18. Stereo

Stereo Alien

I think those BMW races are somewhat of an oversight, it's been mentioned in other threads that they're currently not really winnable regardless of difficulty. You can still complete the series, you just won't win in the Z4 or E30 M3.

cmch15 likes this.
  19. Mauler_77

Mauler_77 Racer

I meant how do you get on against the AI in that car? I found they're properly on it regardless of difficulty level.

20. Daz730

Daz730 Racer

Honestly haven't tried it against the Ai yet, just had a race at Barcelona in road version ( factory settings) with difficulty set to hard... And won I think there is a thread somewhere for videos so I'll try and post it there

21. Mauler_77

Mauler_77 Racer

Oh ok. I think I'll try the road version next myself. I've been having some great races with the AI on hard in the few road cars I've driven so far, I'm just struggling with the race cars even on medium or easy.