1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Any DX12 or Vulkan plans?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by VeRDe, Apr 10, 2016.

1. VeRDe

VeRDe Racer

Now that you have been porting AC to consoles which means you were working on different APIs, do you plan to support a newer API than DX11 on PCs?

It really makes a lot of sense because AC is a very CPU demanding game and the lower driver overhead I believe would make a huge performance impact to many CPU limited scenarios.

Thank you.

Mike1304 likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Virtual Reality Any fix for dashboard? (DX12 + VR) Jan 2, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Blank dash screen [Resolved by disabling DX12 launch mode in Steam] Dec 20, 2020
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars DX12 possible [FAKE NEWS] May 17, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Is ACC going to support DX12? May 13, 2020
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars need DX12 official support [FAKE NEWS] Apr 5, 2020
    Chit Chat Room Amd mantle and ms dx12 support for assetto corsa Nov 16, 2014
    ACC General Discussions Vulkan Jan 15, 2019

3. Brownninja97

Brownninja97 Alien

No.

That would require a crazy amount of effort.

nate and Michael Hornbuckle like this.
  4. Mogster

Mogster Alien

The hype surrounding DX12 seems to have died a death over the last few months...

Now it's here I don't see any sign of the "gaming revolution" people were so certain it was going to bring when it was announced.

nate, Dutchyfutch and magzire like this.
  5. Dutchyfutch

Dutchyfutch Hardcore Simmer

no lol

nate likes this.
  6. Stiku

Stiku Rookie

nVidiots...

AmorFati and Andrew Summer like this.
  7. Eugor

Eugor Hardcore Simmer

AC already runs incredibly well apart from a few settings like reflections on Nvidia and AMD. DX12 has been very mediocre in the few games we've seen it so far. It has added a couple FPS in certain games, and is atrocious in Quantum Break. It's not terribly surprising after how Mantle performed on AMD.

Mogster likes this.
  8. jarqus

jarqus Racer

Developers should focus on Vulkan where/when possible, due to cross platform and just because

NGR_Dominiek likes this.
  9. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Those comments...

As Brownninja97 mentioned it'd require a lot of work and that is precisely how you would see the benefits with DirectX 12 and Mantle/Vulkan, as it requires a change in approach to engine development, and wrappers and half-hearted implementations as we've seen them so far are of course not likely to lead to any boosts in performance. There's no doubt that the new APIs will bring a lot of benefits and replace DirectX 11 and OpenGL for games but it will take time for developers to adapt. Given that some of the issues holding Assetto Corsa back are CPU/multi-threading/physics related, especially limiting the amount of cars that can be simulated, it'd certainly benefit the game. After the engine changes Kunos had to make for the port over to console it'd be a logical conclusion to go one step further and adapt the PC version as well. But it's early days for those APIs and it's a lot to ask for Kunos to make that investment.

Are you a Kunos employees? If not it'd be preferable that you don't speak for them as OP addressed Kunos.

10. Dutchyfutch

Dutchyfutch Hardcore Simmer

Allright buddy.. Lol I'm not gonna go into what I know and don't know about Kunos. Just know I know more than you think which I can't release. This will not happen stop being snobby

11. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Is there a specific reason for your behaviour? My comment wasn't meant as offence and my point stands. If you're not an employee of Kunos Simulazioni or don't officially speak on their behalf you shouldn't shoot down a question directed at Kunos, period. Nobody has something against you stating your own view of the situation and why it's not going to happen, and I'd actually be interested in your opinion - but "No"/"no lol" as response to a question directed at Kunos isn't an appropriate answer. "Being snobby"... yeah right.

pollinho123 likes this.
  12. this kind of behavior is not welcome. Change tone or change forum. You've been warned.

13. there's no indication pointing at AC as a "CPU demanding" game (on the graphics side) nor clear indications that these 2 new API do really improve anything (beside the obvious marketing drums) so I don't see this stuff coming to AC 1.x anytime soon (or ever).

As other I've pointed out, while the port itself might be "easy" (AC is already well modular in that aspect and the easy port to PS4 proved it) using Dx12 effectively would mean change the way the entire system works and organize data.. just as DX11 to DX9 changed things around.

14. kikie

kikie Simracer

Maybe in AC2, when and if the two new APIs are a revelation in terms of game performance?

Thanks for the explanation @Lord Kunos , because I have been thinking of starting (at last) with a triple monitor setup. The GTX970 is more than adequate to render AC on 3 monitors but not with all the visible eye candy settings to the maximum. That is why I was thinking that DX12 could be a solution so I don't have to buy a new graphics card to be able to play AC in all it's glory on a triple monitor setup.

Good to know that DX12 is not what it seems to be.

15. TheBestBeast

TheBestBeast Simracer

No need. AC is alrewdy running amazingly :)

nate likes this.
  16. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Well that settles it, no Windows 10 for me lol...

17. Seanspeed

Seanspeed Hardcore Simmer

It's not really 'here' yet. Not in proper, at least. Hardly any current DX12-enabled games were built with DX12 in mind. I think Ashes of the Singularity is really the only one.

When it comes down to it, DX12/Vulkan are going to vary in effectiveness from title to title depending on how much work went into it and what sort of game it is in the first place. Also what equipment you have.

18. Dream1979

Dream1979 Racer

I'd wish :'-( I have intermittent stutters and can't get rid of them.
    Sometimes on sudden physic impacks, i.e. hitting a curb hard or sometimes on tight bends with a full scenery change.
    This cause me already a lot of crashs.

Otherwise it runs at 100fps with my settings and the game is on a SSD.

19. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Even Microsoft cannot sort out issues with DX12.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/3039...h-lands-on-windows-10-with-issues-galore.html
    I was silly enough not to read much into negative review and purchased this game. Guess what, 10 year old game was stuttering and lagging like crazy on GTX 980. After one hour of frustration I just requested refund.
    New Unreal Tournament can be run in dx12 mode. Result - same or worse frame rate, some stuttering, but the worst is controller lag, it's just unbearable for first person shooter.

@Dream1979, check out your 3rd party apps. Some, like Rivali OV1 are notorious for that.

20. Dream1979

Dream1979 Racer

Ou, thank you, you might be right.
    I did a clean Win 10 install, grafics driver plain install via devicemanager and steam.
    AC was at absolut default settings and all was fine.
    Then I installed the AMD driver with all crap and it stuttered again, also after removing all teh crap,
    but now that you mention it, I also activated the 3rd party apps in AC:

Will try tom. and lett you kno, many thanks

21. AurusCE

AurusCE Racer

I can only hope AC2 to come with a new low overhead API like Vulkan, fro two reasons. My CPU has a low IPC so it would take advantage from the multithreading features of the new API and also would be lovely to play AC in a Linux OS :) Please @Lord Kunos , please? :rolleyes::D:p
    I have tested Ashes of singularity in both DX11 and DX12, and being what can be said "The best case scenario" the difference is huge. Another perspective is Battlefield 4 with Mantle, which is definintely not "The best case scenario" but I see great improvements on average framerate mainly on Multiplayer which leads to a more fluid and enjoyable gamplay.

VeRDe and Epistolarius like this.