1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Any DX12 or Vulkan plans?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by VeRDe, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Dream1979

Dream1979 Racer

@Andrew,
    thank you very much, I had only a few apps such as g-meter and fuel consumption enabled in the menu but not even on screen.
    I deactivated those and did one lap on the nord, not one jerk and look at my benchmark result.
    AC VERSION: 1.5.6 (x64)
    FPS: AVG=109 MIN=30 MAX=174 VARIANCE=12 CPU=80%

LOADING TIME: 14s
    GPU: AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series (1920x1080)
    OS-Version: 6.2.9200 () 0x100-0x1
    CPU CORES: 8
    FULLSCREEN: ON
    AA:4X AF:16X SHDW:2048 BLUR:0
    WORLD DETAIL: 5 SMOKE:5
    PP: QLT:5 HDR:1 FXAA:0 GLR:5 DOF:5 RAYS:1 HEAT:1

that's crazy, thank you, finaly I get the performance of my hardware that I expect.

Andrew_WOT likes this.
  2. gp20

gp20 Rookie

Ian Bell (Project Cars) said that DX12 will boost performance by 30 or 40% which would be very useful for VR headsets.
    The next Project Cars 2 will use DX12, i hope that AC will make the change too.
    Automobilista will come to DX12 in 2017 too.
    I guess these guys are not *****s.
    (and Rfactor 2 will swap for DX11, great news too)

3. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Well, another reason to keep myself far away from Project Cars 2.

Octane and nate like this.
  4. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Ehh... unless they do a major rewrite of their engine DirectX12 will not lead to a 30-40% boost in performance. It's not as easy as to switch from API A to API B, Vulkan and DirectX12 require a very different approach to a lot of things to really make the most out of it. It's not a surprise that there are very few games so far with DirectX12 support that show an performance improvement over DirectX11 at all.

Edit: Didn't see that I already made a comment about this before... same thing all over...

5. Well, Bell is not a programmer and Reiza never wrote a graphics engine, so I'd be very careful in considering wishful thinking (and marketing) as truth.
    What we know right now is that Doom runs amazingly well with Vulkan but UE4 runs worse with DX12.
    Polls say.. too close to call :p

Cote Dazur, pavano, nate and 5 others like this.
  6. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

I think Mantle showed very well that performance improvements are possible, but yeah, it's not for free, you have to put hard work into it.

However, my major concern with DX12 is that it only runs on Windows 10, so I will never have it.
    So if pCars2 (or any other game) would require that, I won't buy it, period.

IMO, AC runs quite fine as it is now.
    If replacing an API, then maybe DirectInput would be a better candidate since from what I've read about it it has quite some limitations.
    But I don't know if there are good and widely used replacements available (doubt it) and writing your own code to circumvent it (like iRacing does) isn't necessarily the best idea either.

7. Traediras

Traediras Hardcore Simmer

Would there be any potential of AC making use of/supporting textures using the newer Block Compression (BCn) DDS algorithms? It seems that in particular the BC7 DDS compression algorithm produces very little by way of compression artifacts compared to the standard DXT5 DDS compression with the same/similar file size to the latter. I know that BC6H/7 textures are only supported by DX11, though I did try to save one of my skins as a BC7 DDS texture, but unfortunately the game hung when I tried to load the skin in game.

8. gp20

gp20 Rookie

9. Brownninja97

Brownninja97 Alien

Huh so it wasnt just me, ill admit i didnt look into it but yeah i did get noticably(around 10-15%) fps and gpu usage with DX12 when faffing around with the various projects ive made(none of them are too complex so i doubt it benefit much anyways). Need to try Vulkan though. 30-40% is very wishful thinking even with tech demos. Wonder if i can change api in RPGMaker

10. Seanspeed

Seanspeed Hardcore Simmer

He said that, and then said DX12 support for Project Cars was coming, but then it never came. These magical performance improvements they promised us just never materialized whatsoever.

Take performance improvement figures for these things with a grain of salt, anyways. They are probably being plucked from 'best case' scenarios and real-world gains would likely be more variable(if there are any at all).

11. gp20

gp20 Rookie

Project Cars 2 will use DX12 (as Forza).

12. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

I think Reiza have since stated they will use DX11 next year to avoid requiring Win10 - much like rF2 will have; to my understanding in both cases, the bulk of the conversion work is done by Studio397.

13. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

IIRC - initially SMS said they would update Pcars to DX12 but, later (still during Pcars Beta) said they learned it would essentially require starting over and the only reasonable solution would be to design Pcars2 for DX12 from the ground up and leave Pcars with DX11. Because there were many features requested (by the WMD community) for Pcars that could not be included within the planned timeline, most agreed that it made more sense to finish Pcars and then plan for these things in Pcars2 - rather than delay launching Pcars for another year or more. DX12 support was not the only requested feature that was then transferred to the sequel title's road-map.

Whatever Pcars2 turns out to be, it's all moot if it doesn't drive with higher levels of "Sim-Refinement" than it's predecessor IMO.

14. BF1 runs a bit worse on DX12, but it's implementation is as basic as they come. Maybe it's the same for UE.

15. it's quite normal, every new API needs its time to be understood, drivers need to get up to speed, engines need to be designed over them and so on, that's why I always chuckle at marketing buffs claiming a new miracle has arrived :p it has been exactly the same for every DX version before.

16. 3316V

3316V Alien

I went from 80 AVG FPS on The Talos Principle to 110 with the Vulkan beta on Linux that is made by one guy from an engine made for Dx11.

I hope you have some time to take a look at this video from the last Steam Dev Days @Lord Kunos (pretty please):

17. I can look at whatever you want, it does not change the fact that these kind of changes are not something you do on a released 3 years old game.
    If ever I'll get to design a new engine on Vulkan/DX12 it will be something that will take years to come out so.. sleep tight ;) nothing to see here.

18. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Ok, so for how many years has AC to carry on for this? :p

(Just kidding … ;))

19. 3316V

3316V Alien

I wasn't talking about AC, just telling you to considerate Vulkan before Dx12 for the future.

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  20. Seanspeed

Seanspeed Hardcore Simmer

Ian Bell was still stating after release that they were working on DX12. They made a whole lot of comments that suggested it was going to come.

The reasoning behind not seeing it for PCars is understandable, but the communication of the whole affair was pretty terrible. And I'd still be highly sceptical about the claimed performance improvements as a general, universal figure.

Actually the Talos Principle's Vulkan branch is pretty dang inconsistent, and downright awful for many.

Seria17hri11er likes this.