1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Generic Are you worried about GT Sport and Project CARS 2?

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by Viperconcept_, Mar 21, 2017.

1. bradleyland

bradleyland Hardcore Simmer

Then you know as well as anyone that there are three types of software challenges.

Things that are hard.

Things that are a lot of work.

And things that are hard and are a lot of work.

Rocket science is hard, and is a lot of work. I never said leaderboards were hard; I only said it's more work than some people understand. If you've been in software dev for 30 years, then you know as well as anyone how time budgets go.

To TheGT500's point, "everyone else" seems to be able to do it, but not Kunos. That's a valid question, but it doesn't require jumping to any conclusions, or hurling any stones. Remember when pCARS was released, and it was full of landmine bugs? You'd spend an entire race hoping and praying that your car didn't go launching in to the air... But hey, it had a leaderboard on day one! Resources are fungible, and deciding where to allocate them is part of running a business.

My point isn't to defend Kunos (again, I've been super critical of them), but to point out that attributing feature shortcomings to failures in integrity or competence is toxic to the community. It turns every discussion in to this one, and it doesn't help anyone.

@P73 and pippo10 like this.
  2. pippo10

pippo10 Hardcore Simmer

Marco Massarutto showed off a feature they had tried a while back. It was a feature where on Tourist your driver is outside of his car putting his gloves on, looking at his car. He said they didn't add it because it programming the code to the game takes way longer than creating the feature so wasn't worth it. My point is most of us know nothing about codling and claim it's not rocket science.
    It isn't rocket science, Evo studios delayed Driveclub for a whole year just to redo the UI and social features, and they were funded by Sony, it's not rocket science! So simple to do.

Also lol at saying AC gets just one thing right (even if that were a fact) , they get the most important aspect right (For me ). The physics model alone does indeed make it a great sim, the physics are it's USP. Not that i disagree that things like leaderboards and lobbies should have been in on launch though, they should have. But this not rocket science nonsense is pure ignorance.

bradleyland and @P73 like this.
  3. TheGT500

TheGT500 Racer

OK, maybe using the term " it ain't rocket science" is being flippant. I've never been into computing so freely admit I have no idea what is entailed in the coding process, but my point is based on what has been done by other studios.
    I'm not hung up on this idea that FFB and physics is the be-all and end-all of a SIM ! Of course, in the context of a training simulation tool, physics and feel is of paramount importance, but when it's billed as "your racing simulator" one would assume it gives you a closer experience of a real race meeting, otherwise it's just a driving experience simulation. As it stands, AC is a fantastic showcase of what is possible to achieve in physics, but therein lies the rub, console gamers have become accustomed to a more complete package when it comes to a game, where using apps to make the base game into what it can become is not an option open to us.
    We're not asking for features that are unique, groundbreaking or unreasonable, just what is universally acknowledged as basic minimum for a racing title.

fedepino, bradleyland and pippo10 like this.
  4. ppbucko

ppbucko Hardcore Simmer

Ok leaderboards need work, small team and all the rest of the excuses. The majority of racing games sims/arcade have them. But not to keep your own fastest times in hot lap mode is a strange one.

5. Werent we talkin about PC2 ans GTS at the beginning?

6. Donnced2

Donnced2 Alien

Pcars 2 event at CXC simulations, los Angeles, EEUU.

Nice cockpits :)

7. rich1e I

rich1e I Simracer

It's true, we don't know anything about coding, and we have no clue about what's actually needed to have certain features in a racing sim. We can only compare the game with another title, that would be Project CARS. I've made the experience that people always seem to react very sensitive when someone criticises their game of choice, regardless if the points made are valid or not. People are even blaming others of having a "destructive agenda" lol. Oh yes, I'm a Project CARS agent with the target to eliminate the enemy lol. Seriously, people are watching too many movies imo. To be honest, I can't see where people have attributed feature shortcomings to failures in integrity and/or competence.

While there are still objectively a whole lot of absolutely basic features missing to be able to have a good racing experience, such as a telemetry screen, adjustable brake pressure, ability to look left/right/behind, other things seem to be a matter of taste. Many seem to think AC physics model is outstanding, I myself think it's terrible.
    We don't know the reasons why so many things are missing. I hope people don't feel too provoked if I dare to say, the game as it is now, is nothing more than a driving simulator. Not everything is bad about AC, though. I absolutely love the sound and how the tracks are modeled, but it's not enough. Even if Project CARS is now absolutely enjoyable after 2 million patches, I'm still a bit disappointed with how racing sims have been "translated". Yes, we have leaderboards on Project CARS. Wonderful leaderboards, one for all GT cars (no matter if GT1, GT3 or Group 5); one for all open wheelers (no matter if Formula A or rookie); one for all road cars (no matter if super light weight or just sports car) etc. etc. I mean, Project CARS, really?? No doubt, a PC is needed.

Nwg likes this.
  8. pippo10

pippo10 Hardcore Simmer

TBF it is only in the last 3 or 4 years through following developments (and coding my own simple websites) that i have come to understand how difficult it is to add code to pre existing software and the problems they may bring. I was pretty ignorant to it prior to that and thought it was just a matter of doing it or not doing it.
    Fully agree.

9. bradleyland

bradleyland Hardcore Simmer

I agree 100% with the feature concerns. I'm not kidding when I say I've been very critical of Kunos in the past. Go look at any of my posts regarding online MP. My opinion is that there are significant deficiencies. My goal is always to stick to enumerating and clarifying how the game could be made better. Any elements of the discussion surrounding how easy or hard the task may be are tangential to the goal, at best.

For example, let's say we all accept that these features should have been a higher priority. What then? What's the outcome? Other than some cathartic benefit, I can't see any. I start from the premise that Kunos genuinely want to deliver the best game possible, then I ask myself how I can contribute to that goal? Sometimes, that means being critical of the game. I cannot see how discussion about how easy it should be helps anything though.

That's all I'll say about it. I hate to beat a dead horse :)

10. You said it mate, thanks for putting that so perfectly! It amazes me as well! Though I've never actually compared two recordings side-by-side, I could instantly tell the bumps and vertical weight transfer were way more important in the experience of driving the car. You can even see the engine accurately respond based on the g-load it gets, one of my favorite parts about the in car footage ;).

For those who may not know what I'm on about, The engine will tack on a few more revs real quick if you make the car go light, and the opposite if you bottom the car out. That tach jumping all over the dash on a bumpy track is super lifelike, and much appreciated!

bradleyland and Daz730 like this.
  11. Robdisco

Robdisco Rookie

I strongly agree being a GTA fan for more than 20 years this is a dissapiontment to me is have to play as to feel like I'm really racing how can a punch bug be the fastest gr. 3 cars I can't get 5th place in the manufacturer s races and I rock all day assetto and I drive a subject Cobb everything for the real drivers and a real subject don't feel like the crap GTS tryna push off,. T. Y

pippo10 likes this.
  12. pippo10

pippo10 Hardcore Simmer

I tried Pcars2 demo. So much better than GTS, physics are good but just didn't have that natural feeling AC gives me. GTS really just does nothing for me. I can always feel something off, like TC fighting against me even when I've set it to off. I felt like I was playing GT6 with better graphic. They've had 20 years at this and it's just the same formula, I.e stale.

MaxStrong01 and LeDude83 like this.
  13. MaxStrong01

MaxStrong01 Racer

I tried the demo too for curiosity and after playing a little with the wheel settings I have honestly admit that I found if not the same at least extremely close feeling as AC. The cars physichs of the race car in the demo is ok, they reached a very good level today. Maybe the road car is still not at the AC level but this is only my feeling. Anyway we have not to forget that PC2 is the second game release meanwhile AC is still the first one. I am confident that AC2 when will be out will be a very consistent game

pippo10 likes this.
  14. ZX636

ZX636 Hardcore Simmer

Me too. I felt less connected to the cars and the 488 was a bit wooden, but overall much better than PCARS1. Wish SMS gave us the possibility to try some action on snow/ice or rallycross. On the graphics side, I prefer the clean look of Assetto.

pippo10 likes this.
  15. pippo10

pippo10 Hardcore Simmer

Agree. This with pcars2 demo, I felt like I was playing a game the whole time, rather than a SIM. Nothing wrong with that but I didn't get the same engagement that I get from AC. Something I found odd with Pcars2 physics was that it felt artificial. Like everything was scripted, hate to explain but I watched a review of the demo yesterday and the reviewer said the exact same thing. There was one thing Pcars2 did for me though, got me really excited for an AC2.
    Same. Whilst Pcars looks pretty, it's quite a mess graphically and hurts my eyes. They've focused on grabbing attention from the graphic whores ( the casuals basically). AC on the other hand is very clean, I hope Kunos keep this in mind when making their next project because the graphics only impress those who stay around for a month or 2. Whilst the ones who stay around long term like myself prefer a clean image. I can't play Pcars2 for this reason. Unless I get a top PC.

LimboJimbo, MaxStrong01 and ZX636 like this.
  16. MaxStrong01

MaxStrong01 Racer

I agree. The graphic of AC is more clean and let me say more realistic or if you prefere less videogame. Also the cars are more detailed. And yes I think AC2 should be a really exciting game if the Kunos guys will implement : more cars, well identified car categories, more tracks, leaderboard, a well structured career in single, a multyplayer improved, the introduction of championship rules...
    Wow it is a lot of work and need a big budget!
    I wish a “good and successfull work” to the Kunos guys and hope to have the chance to buy their AC2 soon.

pippo10 likes this.
  17. Robdisco

Robdisco Rookie

i need a league, all this natural raw talent being wasted on exibition races......cant afford a 50million dollar racing team so i resort to this thie next best thing..