1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Oh really? Assetto corsa vs real life - alfa romeo 4c

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Aristotelis, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Quffy

Quffy Alien

Really aggressive one. I've had it AC sometimes with similar cars, other times even with GT3 when low rear wing.

There are times when you can catch it.

2. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

If you read the description of the video you posted he says:
    "Getting brake checked through turn 2...
    The car was twitchy as heck all day, and I had zero confidence going through turn 2 two-wide. I let the E30 have the line, but he decided to brake between the 2 apexes of turn 2..."

So a racing homemade car, on slicks probably, badly tuned by his own admission, gets brake checked on a long fast sweep going downhill and the reaction is so so... Totally similar situation with my video of a street (even if extreme) car on street tyres...
    But yeah whatever

TDS, tkaczorek69, Dookie and 8 others like this.
  3. I'm not referring to your video at all with this, not sure where you got the idea.

My point still stands tho. If I come across something else browsing that blog with more average variables I'll post it, or maybe I'll just find something on youtube, it's not like you don't have choice...

But yeah whatever.

4. zamex23

zamex23 Simracer

@Aristotelis next time you are recording video in AC make sure sun is on same position as in real life when you were shooting...Better for the immersion.

Great video tho.

5. matz_AUT

matz_AUT Hardcore Simmer

I do not think AC is intentionally more user friendly or more forgiving then other sims

In general, in any sim, due to the lack of any physical sensation of the forces that can be felt with your body in RL, that help you to predict what the car is going to do, one tends to overdrive the car at first, until you've accustomized yourself with the sim, and learned to judge based only on the visual clues of the 2D rendering and the FFB of the wheel.

With AC though, the visual clues that can be perceived are VERY VERY good.
    Somehow, in AC I get a sense of the weight transfer and body roll of the chassis, the loading and unloading of the tyres that is going on while I'm driving.
    The way the virtual point of view is shifted and tilted during cornering and braking feels natural.
    This may be one reason why it is perceived to be more foregiving by some.

As I've realised it in the past, it may not be too hard to simulate a rolling tyre, and not to hard to simulate a sliding one, but it has never been accomplished to make a proper simulation of
    a tyre that is rolling, but at the same time beginning to slide laterally.
    In AC, to me it is this transition between the tyre rolling and it sliding that has been nailed.
    I've never before in a sim felt like beeing able to just feel when the tyres are about to beginning to slide.
    Of course one can argue that it makes it easier, which may be true, but more to the point it brings a realistic experience.

With regards to the clip, it is truly stunning, how the same driving can be applied in sim and IRL, with the car responding in a similar manner.
    I was watching with a big grin on my face. Not only the almost identical steering lock, but also the suspenion travel.
    Needless to say, that it is outstanding by any standards to have a developer do this kind of comparison.

So yes, if the devs time allows for it, I for one would also be excited to see more of these vids, and many thanks for this one

6. Turk

Turk Alien

That's all very true, when rFactor2 came to steam I installed it again and loaded it up, saw there was a tree called Assetto corsa cars, loaded up the cobra and went for a drive. I just found the whole experience to be very flat, it didn't communicate what the car was doing to me and the experience was just very unrewarding. The physic in rFactor 2 might have been doing all the same things as AC it just wasn't communicating it to me. People may complain about the tyre sounds but they let you know what the tyres are going under, the tiny pitches and rolls that happen on screen do convey what the suspension is doing and that's all before you talk about the FFB at all.

We always say that the real problem with sim racing is that you're missing so much information, like g-forces and bumps transferred through the seat to your arse cheeks. All these other cues make up some of that difference. It makes me wonder how that will translate into VR, will all those subtle cues work with the VR image?

7. Mogster

Mogster Alien

It seems the devs can't win. Around 12 months ago there were posts that people couldn't feel the tyres and catching a slide was too difficult. Now there are posts the driving model's too easy, even that the FFB gives too much info.

We've got two sims now with physics standing head and shoulders above the rest, AC and RF2. They feel different as the approach to modelling the physics is different but that doesn't make one more correct than the other, it's just a matter of preference.

eXo, Kristaps, Cote Dazur and 3 others like this.
  8. sarabwt

sarabwt Simracer

The car didn't "just let go" and it happens in AC also. What happened there is that he lifted in the middle of the turn still having the same steering wheel angle (weight forward, more grip forward, oversteer). Keep in mind, that he doesn't react that well. Brake check didn't happen at all, it's in that dudes head lol. Closing speed would have been far greater, but what happened there is what often happens to me when racing GT3 cars with people that I don't know. You are not prepared to lift in that part of a corner, but you have to, because either guy in front of you did, or he just slightly ****ed up. It also helps that you have very little/no visual reference until it's too late, but still, it does happen, specially with a twitchy car that the guy in a video appeared to have.

Some cars in AC do however seem to have a steering lock of a Formula Drift car :p
    @Aristotelis How much degrees of steering do GT3s have?

Johnnypenso, Mogster and AccAkut like this.
  9. Nice video. Hope to see more of them. Already subscribed to the channel! :D Good luck Aris!

10. Which one was the game? ;)

11. eXo

eXo Racer

Surreal Car is too arcade and the graphic is a shame without rain and night. The mustache of the driver are too static.
    The release on PS4 has ruined all.

AurusCE likes this.
  12. mistery

mistery Hardcore Simmer

Clearly the UI is at fault. It's all kind of bad. Font is not romano-celtic Helvetica, non scalable and not next gen enough. Simcade.

13. Johnnypenso

Johnnypenso Simracer

I've been to Mosport many times. Turn 2 is a downhill left hander that is well known as one of the more difficult turns in all of motor racing, especially here in North America. It's a high speed, blind, downhill left hander and I've seen many a pro crash there as well. It might be slightly off camber too. If the rear lets go there you are usually cooked. The rear end is very light because you are slowing and heading downhill at quite an angle. In fact, the course fell out of favour with the international racing community when Manfred Winkelhock was killed on corner 2 in 1985 due to it's very tricky nature. All you have to do is lift or touch the brakes at the wrong time and you're done:

14. sarabwt

sarabwt Simracer

thats what I said... it didnt just magically let go for no reason, he lifted/had to alter his mid corner line

Mogster and Kristaps like this.
  15. Johnnypenso

Johnnypenso Simracer

I know, I was just adding to your thoughts with some additional information;)

sarabwt likes this.
  16. ALB123

ALB123 Alien

I hopped into my Alfa Romeo 4C with street tires (track was 16'C, Green, 1300hrs) and lap after lap my rear kept breaking loose, or trying to, at that section of track when I would lift & slightly brake. Its a very tricky section of track.

17. Ah just realised why the 4C got V6 tyres and just about no other older (street) cars were still on V5 tyres, which stay very cold.

18. Johnnypenso

Johnnypenso Simracer

The 4C comes with paddle shifters, which makes it easy to trail a little throttle in those sections. Try it, it might help keep the car settled and get you through neater and quicker. Brake and throttle at the same time helps to put more of the brake balance at the front of the car as well, where more grip is available.

Racing_34 and ALB123 like this.
  19. liakjim

liakjim Alien

20. TDS

TDS Alien

oh man i wish i could import a ktm x-bow for me here in Brazil, i mean if I had the money for doing it i wouldn't think twice.
    it must be a lovely ride.

AurusCE likes this.