1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

BMW 1M, M3, M4 suspension, weight transfer

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by ouvert, Aug 3, 2017.

1. ouvert

ouvert Alien

Not putting it into Physic bugs as I haven`t driven these cars on track and it probably is not bug but for those who owns those cars is the suspension really that bad ? 1M mostly and M3 to some extend too ...M4 is fine I guess ...

I assume default setups are within reasonable range of real factory setups ... and given than 1M has suspension from M3 (? .. I think) which (sadly only on road) felt quite good

Suspension is super soft, cant handle weight transfer, waveing and upsetting car ... I mean it drives like Skoda Superb when you put it to super soft Comfort Mode and go over 180kmh (that is not pleasant experience)

It is way more stable in Superb when you put its adaptive suspension to sport mode than in 1M and M3 in AC .. not mentioning vRS I would expect to be closer to M series of BMW ... there is basically zero weight transfer influencing steering in negative way at same speeds in those cars

I get that part of it could be AC FFB pronoucing weigt transfer perhaps too much (but I don`t have that issue in other cars I`ve tried).

Or is it just bad default setup .. ?

I tried to find any info about it on web but everybody seems to praise the handeling, ballance an very low body roll

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues BMW Z4 has broken suspension in menu previews Jul 24, 2016
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Bmw m3 e30 gr. a suspension geometry Jul 28, 2015
    Physics Bugs & Issues Bmw e30 dtm suspension behaviour Nov 25, 2014
    ACC Gameplay Can’t Choose BMW for Sprint Nov 26, 2023
    ACC Physics New physics didn't work for the BMW M4 GT3 May 2, 2023
    ACC Screenshots & Videos BMW M4 at Spa Multiplayer May 2, 2023
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars BMW M2 CS Mar 5, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions BMW m2 Jan 3, 2023
    ACC Screenshots & Videos My Valentino Rossi BMW M4 livery - DOWNLOAD - Dec 18, 2022
    ACC Screenshots & Videos BMW M Team WRT 2023 Dec 17, 2022
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Problem when I try to shift down with BMW GT3 2022 Jul 14, 2022
    Screens & Videos BMW M3 F81cs Jun 14, 2022
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room Baden GT BMW M2 CUP May 23, 2022
    Screens & Videos Drifting Bmw e46 M3 Downhill May 21, 2022
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars ROWE RACING BMW M4 GT3 STARTING NUMBER Apr 28, 2022

3. rafikens1000

rafikens1000 Racer

adjust tire pressure. in m3 u should lower on semislicks by around 7 clicks

Alistair McKinley likes this.
  4. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Hardcore Simmer

^^This!
    It helps a lot!

5. ouvert

ouvert Alien

I`ll give it a try .. I don`t have issue with grip, I guess tyre being part of suspension will make some change ... just ammount of body roll is absurd on 1M .. and how it affects FFB ...

6. LeiF

LeiF Alien

If I can add another question, don't know about the 1M and M4 as haven't been in one irl but the E92 my friend has is complete with various suspension settings (not sure if that is one of the extras though - his has the competition pack so not sure about the stock E92).

So which suspension mode is baked in to the AC E92?

My mate said when he drove it in AC that the AC one felt too slow but didn't comment on the handling particularly. That was on v7 tyres tho iirc.

7. Mathieu Labbé

Mathieu Labbé Hardcore Simmer

I recently drove the 1M on the StreetFight server and I was asking myself the same thing, mainly questioning the super soft suspension and huge pitch variation. Funny thing though, the way Chris Harris describe the thing in that video is pretty much how it feels to me in AC.

Snappy oversteer, inconsistent grip, entertaining but not really fast, etc... He doesn't talk about weight shift though, that'd be interesting to hear from 1M owners. Well, I'm pretty sure Aris did try one of those at one of their track days events?

chksix likes this.
  8. ouvert

ouvert Alien

sure .. grip, oversteer, etc are nice ... road cars are highlight of AC .. I`m not questioning physics engine .. just feels like typo in shock values or something :)

Mathieu Labbé likes this.
  9. Mathieu Labbé

Mathieu Labbé Hardcore Simmer

Same thing here :)

10. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

Don't know if it was in one of Stefano's streams or somewhere on the forum, but usually it's always the 'sportiest' mode in cars that you can adjust, so stiff suspension, fast gearbox setting, sharp throttle and steering response.

The suspension might be a bit soft with too much pitch/roll, but maybe this is just increased because there aren't so many cars around that are really soft. (try the stock Z4 or Audi Quattro, those are boats compared to the 1M)

Also looking at he Chris Harris video, it looks pretty much like I experience it in AC with ST tyres.
    It's not such a refined car as other M cars, the rear suspension was based on the M3, but with a shorter wheelbase.
    Harris says it's more agile, but also more of a handful and snappy. That's pretty much how it drives in AC. Your always on the knife's edge to balance the torque, sometimes it puts the power down, sometimes it just goes sideways.
    Have a look at his drifting too. The M2 is a pretty smooth motion throughout the drift while the 1M has more correction within the slides.
    In another video, I think either M4 or C63 (the new one) he talks about his drifting technique and that he tries to do as little corrections on the steering as possible and control it more with the throttle.

Nahkamarakatti and LeiF like this.
  11. ouvert

ouvert Alien

from what I was able to find 1M has competitions package from M3 .. not just rear ... all parts are interchangable ...

I dived into bimmers forums and I found some mentions about stock shocks being soft and car boaty .. so I guess all good and we live in world where Skoda makes better "sporty tuned" cars than BMW :D

I guess it is FFB making this issue worse generating oscilation as car starts to sway from side to side resulting to self induced spin ...

No problem .. plenty of cars to choose from tomorrow :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  12. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38 Simracer

I like the BMWs, the cars are heavy, front engine, so, considering this. Also, BMW likes to use Mcpherson on front suspension, sporsts cars often use double wishbone or multilink.

They are really good cars to drift because it is easy to counter steering and regain grip gradually.

rafikens1000 likes this.
  13. You really need to get your DFGT dialed in better. Or get quicker hands.

14. ouvert

ouvert Alien

I have no issue with driving it, catching it :) not the point.

Just hard to believe m series feels like limousine in comfort adaptive suspension mode (yes did that on track too :)) so I'm checking if somebody has that car as I only had chance to drive m3 shortly on road in normal speeds and haven't notice anything like that. If it is correct it must be scary and dangerous just to drive those bimmers on road at higher speeds.
    If it was cars I've driven I would put it in physics bug section, now I just wanted to have chit chat about it.

In regards of dialing my wheel ... I did second clean install on different drive, I'm using ffb clip app and ffb is enjoyable again ... Not sure where was problem.
    Strangely enough using same settings I was using since ever. Everything at zero and gain around 75 now set by app, not manually...
    I'm trying enhanced understeer for now, feels closer to real car but I would love to cut that effect to half .. than it would be perfect.. I guess not possible in any config file? But that is minor thing ..
    Also autosettings works great in

Thanks to everyone who helped in that pC2 thread.. my wife is not happy though :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  15. Often modern sportier cars tend to be borderline "undriveable" (read: messy and not effective) without assists... it's like they just dont bother making cars actually good and just let the assists figure it out.

BMW diffs are terrible as well... M Sport mechanical diff is fine but the usual E-Diff stuff is just... no. Huge understeer off, then drift mode on.

Oh and most street car's suspension is bad on track, because street car. Only the most extreme examples are acceptable, and even then easily improved (Manthey Racing coilovers on the Cayman GT4 for example, which make the balance actually good).

Kristaps, ALB123 and David Hornsey like this.
  16. ouvert

ouvert Alien

OK William .. I know you spent your time on track in road cars (if I`m not mistaken you for somebody else) so I`ll take your word .. and I`ll assume AC factory setting don`t necessary include all systems 1M/M3 has to keep it steady under normal speeds .. nevermind I`m not gonna spoil my freshly regained love to AC by two cars :) and I`m gonna stick with Skoda making better (not more fun) sporty cars than BMW :p

17. Well, not me personally but other people who are pretty good behind the wheel and could drive some of these on track.

At the end of the day a street car is just really messy on track, its just that the modern stuff seems to rely too much on electronics.

18. Slightly off-topic but after I sold my real life fun machine and drove bunch of "normal" road cars, it was quite a shock. I was asking myself how anybody can drive these cars when initial steering input goes into suspension first and the car does not rotate at all? It felt just so wrong and terrible! :D Still I thought my little fun machine was quite soft when I really wanted to have some fun with it.

Tyres gives you so much grip that even the "sporty" suspensions might feel like a boat when pushing hard.

aphidgod, ouvert and Schnipp like this.
  19. ouvert

ouvert Alien

Could be .. as I said .. only driven M3 for short period on road and spend few hours as passanger so me comparing it to cars I`ve driven on track is bit unfair ... I guess after hearing how good it handles body roll and how stable it is I was cought by suprise by its inablility to handle body roll and how unstable it is :) ... Its fun to drive, no question there ...

I also just noticed that semislicks are default on M3 series in AC instead road tyres .. I`ll give it another go today with street tyres ... see if those can handle real life speeds ;)

20. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Why not tag Aristotelis to give his insight?

Στάλθηκε από το m2 note μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

21. rafikens1000

rafikens1000 Racer

@Aristotelis.

Here u go.