1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

CFD in racing simulators

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Poguinhas, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Yes. See the model @AccAkut showed of his Audi, the numbers were extrapolated/interpreted into something the game understands.

AccAkut likes this.
  2. ShimonART

ShimonART Alien

3. ralf3001

ralf3001 Rookie

does kunos or any mods use this method to get data?

4. That Audi is a mod... http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/krb-audi-s1-silhouette.14447/

And its unlikely Kunos do their own CFD, why would they when they presumably get the data from the manufacturers?

And its a lot of work to get a model suitable for CFD (standard poly models that all games use aren't suitable.) Modders have time to make the required changes, Kunos don't.

ALB123 likes this.
  5. Georg Siebert

Georg Siebert Simracer

I think by the time a quantum computer can fit into my phone and tell me the best aero setup on the car, the ai piloted ones would've driven circles around me already. #roborace #obsolete

6. Kade

Kade Hardcore Simmer

There's these expensive "treadmill" wind-tunnels for a reason. CFD causes error (obviously) and no matter how good it gets, what's the point if you have wind-tunnel data available to model aerodynamics?

Okay if the manufacturer is *****ing about giving the aero-data then you could make a CFD-simulation and model aero from the results. Yes, you could introduce more elements to the game with realistic AOA, yaw and speed-sensitivity qualities and that would produce way less error in the end result than running a realtime CFD with all of it's bugs.

ALB123 likes this.
  7. OoALEJOoO

OoALEJOoO Simracer

CFD modelling is just an approximation of reality. Just like Assetto Corsa runs a model to simulate aerodynamics, CFD is another model, albeit more complex, which is run using finite elements analysis.
    The current state of the art in CFD can only predict accurately simple flows on simple geometries. CFD is another tool in the engineers design tool box, wind-tunnel testing being another one. Today, they are complementary as each has its pros/cons and benefits.

Having said that, the computing power to run CFD models on current computers (even supercomputers) is extremely limited. Modellers normally have to simplify meshes tremendously, and even simplify geometry (2D over 3D, planar-symmetric, radially-symmetric, etc) vs a true 3D representation. A fully CFD analysis of a complete car does not exist today, even with a supercomputer. All that exist is a simplification of a 3D model to give approximations. Furthermore, simplifications will never cease to exist. For example, multi-physics modelling. Even if we have full 3D CFD model, we would need to add other physics to increase accuracy such as thermal modeling, mechanical deflections (flexing elements, etc), all running also with finite elements do play a role in how fluid forces affect a surface. Maybe in the future, who knows, but definitely not today.

As somebody else mentioned earlier on the thread, diminishing returns will kick-in way earlier than having a CFD model run in real time. We can have 99% of accurate results with perhaps <1% of the processing power. Even if we did have that amount of processing power to do real-time CFD, I think it would be wasted running CFD. To answer this very interesting question raised by Poguinhas, I would rather use such CPU for something more meaningful. It would probably be better used running more complex models of tyres, dynamics, brakes, AI, etc.

8. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

Well, but I did consider a scenario 100 years from now. 100 years ago computers didn't even exist, so I don't think it's that much to believe that 100 years from now we will have the processing power necessary for 40 cars running full 3d cfd in real time.
    Of course a lot of things will change during that time, simulators, if they still exist, will probably have taken several changes in their direction.
    But yes, if with the simplified data we use today we can have 99% accurate results, using real time cfd would be way too much effort for the reward, it's just that some times I find it interesting to imagine what direction innovation will follow, and many years from now cfd may be one of them. Especially considering that probably 100 years from now sims will be the only way to drive a petrol fueled car, for good or for worse.

9. Znam Neznam

Znam Neznam Hardcore Simmer

Cd numbers probably. (race cars unlikely)

Cl numbers unlikely. (especially if its race cars, road cars maybe but even that is a stretch.)

As for AC aero simulation, it does the job and its seems very accurate in AC compared to real world.

10. gandlers

gandlers Hardcore Simmer

Personally I think that Realtime Tyre Simulation should come before Realtime CFD aero.

Both of which are well beyond the capability of home computers, but discussions like this are a can or worms, do we want another rip in the fabric of time and space like after "zandvoort not laserscanned"-gate. :eek:

AccAkut likes this.
  11. AccAkut

AccAkut Alien

I don't think there is even that much non-Realtime simulation for tires actually, compared to what is possible in aero development. Maybe for slicks, but as soon as you enter some sort of tread pattern simulations won't get you far, and its down to real life testing on facilities like this. So many iterations of development tires went through the workshop when I worked there.