1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

CPU/Mobo upgrade for Triple screen rig

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Nahkamarakatti, Apr 17, 2016.

1. So I recently bought GTX 980 Ti and I'm having some strange FPS issues which could be because of CPU bottleneck (but without high CPU usage). Don't know if that's even possible but since I've already planned CPU upgrade for near future I may as well do it earlier just to see if it makes any difference.

But this is the moment when things gets tricky. It is really hard to decide what CPU is enough but not overkill when using 5760x1080 resolution. Because the stress for CPU is much smaller on higher res. Ofcourse it would be possible to choose some high end i7 but what's the benefit if not running lower resolutions at all?

In case of motherboard I'll need tons of USB's, good quality components, ATX layout, nice sound card and not so much overclocking abilities.

So I have two questions for you:

1. Which CPU do you think is the best bang for buck in triple screen/high resolution rig?

2. Which Mobo would fit my needs?

Thanks for advices! I'm open for AMD / Intel but please let's not do CPU manufacturer warz this time. :)

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Troubleshooting Fatal error and cant launch game with GPU upgrade [audio device] Feb 1, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions PS4 to PS5 free upgrade? Mar 31, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Avis/conseils pour upgrader mon setup VR Dec 27, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions Flex Post sorry but it feels good. CPU upgrade. Dec 22, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality Upgrade ram 32 GB Dec 17, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality Bad VR performance after upgraden 6900XT --> RTX4900 Dec 5, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions CPU upgrade advice Nov 10, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions PS5 Upgrade Problem Feb 23, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Upgrade PS5 - what about the DLC Jan 27, 2022
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Upgrade to AC ultimate edition with csp and sol Jan 5, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions 49" ultrawide --> upgrade GPU, CPU, or both? Aug 8, 2021
    ACC General Discussions Upgrade Suggestion Jul 24, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions NextGen upgrade cost Jun 6, 2021
    ACC Hardware Discussions Podium DD1 to DD2 Upgrade Question Apr 26, 2021
    ACC Hardware Discussions Fanatec Clubsport pedals V3 vs. CSR Elite Inverted - worthwhile upgrade? Mar 16, 2021

3. Sleeper Service

Sleeper Service Hardcore Simmer

I think you'll get as many opinions as there are suns in the galaxy :D

My personal experiences, and I am in no way an expert on putting hardware together, is that my previous setup had an FX8350 with two R7 290X's in Crossfire that suffered from major stutters. With my limited knowledge and a little bit of researching I headed down the Intel route with an up to date (at the time) I7 5820K, the reasoning behind this was the "dedicated" Pcie lanes on the processor which I perceived would help out with the stutters. I also was thinking in terms of other processing jobs such as video production with Premiere and After Effects etc. Anyway, the stutters are gone and AC runs nice and smooth - and I'm not knocking AMD versus Intel/Nvidia etc.... - as do the Adobe Suite softwares. I finished up getting a package with the I7 (already overclocked to 4.4 and with water cooling), DDR4 Ram and an Asus X99 deluxe m/board. The m/board has plenty of USB 3.0 hubs. Maybe a post at overclockers might give you some good ideas and maybe @Kunos can jump in and give you some idea of where the bottlenecks need widening as they should know the ins and outs of how their code is processed.

It really depends on what other things you are planning to do with the system, the most demanding software should set the spec imho with some future proofing too. Next gen gpu and cpu's aren't that far away, maybe it's worth waiting a while.

One other thing I would mention, but I'm biased on this, is to maybe think about using a DAC instead of a sound card. I thought I'd give it a shot on the current pc build. Admittedly I've spent a fair bit on studio monitors and a sub but it sounds so much better than any sound card I've ever used and m/boards generally have pretty good audio on board now. I just run an optical digital out of the on board sound and into the DAC. The next project for me is to update that and go for 5.1

Good luck and have fun putting your system together.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    KillZoneGB and Nahkamarakatti like this.
  4. Spinelli

Spinelli Simracer

Depends on your budget. If you have a "medium" budget, get a 4690K or 6600k and a cheaper (but overlooking capable) motherboard.

I run a HEDT (High-End Desktop Line) system myself but it's honestly not needed for the vast majority.

KillZoneGB likes this.
  5. I'm only a simmer and don't have time and interest for other games so my PC is built for driving only. That's why I even don't have a place for mouse and keyboard in my rig.. :D

Thanks for the advices. It was an interesting reading.

I think I'm usually somewhere between mid and high-end. I was looking for 6600K and 4690K but wasn't sure if it's enough for simming needs. My couple of last builds have been AMD powered so I'm not feeling very comfortable with Intel line-up.

Sleeper Service likes this.
  6. Punknoodle

Punknoodle Racer

From what I've read the i5 is plenty powerful enough for gaming. When I built my system I went for a 4670k and I think it will last for my next graphics card upgrade as well (I'm on a Gtx 780 with triple 1080p monitors currently) as it's a powerhouse. It's running at 4 GHz and I never have CPU issues

Nahkamarakatti likes this.
  7. rycil

rycil Simracer

I run 980Ti with triple and I have noticed that 2 graphic options can lead to FPS issues: 1 - Reflection rendering frequency (mine is low), 2 - Glare quality (mine is high). Also DOF for replay can trouble the FPS, so I set it to high as well.

Other options are on max (AA 4x, AF 16x and FXAA on, Vsync On). I have 60FPS at start on multi.

PhilipL likes this.
  8. At the moment I can almost get stable 60FPS when everything maxed out but the troubles start when I'm trying to lower settings to achieve my target. Lowering graphics settings does not give me any FPS boost but lower GPU usage instead.

Ironically when I found the issue for the first time the it was worst in rF2 (load sometimes close to 30%) but now it's the only sim working perfectly with stable +90% load and +100 frames per second. Firestrike also gets very nice results in-line with other users.

9. KillZoneGB

KillZoneGB Simracer

Both systems that Sleepservice and Spinelli would be my choice, not from a gamers stand point.

if going down the route of SLI, I would lean more towards spinelli system with the option of upgrading to m.2/pci-e storage @ a later date.
    X16 X16 Gpu, X4 PCI-e (m.2) and still have 4 lanes free to do what you want with.(Maybe PCI-E USB3.1 Adapter for VR)

Single GPU, with option of upgrading to m.2/pci-e storage then Sleepservice would be my cheapest option and as you say it best bang for buck.

Anyhoo don't take my advice as I don't do triple screens.
    Just something to ponder.

10. Torcano

Torcano Alien

CPU does seem to have a big effect in AC as far as I can tell. For example my i5 2500k OC'd to a heavy 4.9 GHz with a single 980 vs Andrew_WOT's i7 5930k with a single 980, with both our 980s running at 1530 MHz OC to keep the GPUs on a level playing field... when running the same settings he has a noticeably huge advantage over me. :p

- My bench at 4k -

AC VERSION: 1.4.3 (x64)
    FPS: AVG=65 MIN=6 MAX=198 VARIANCE=2 CPU=31%

LOADING TIME: 34s
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 (3840x2160)
    OS-Version: 6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1) 0x300-0x1
    CPU CORES: 4
    FULLSCREEN: ON
    AA:4X AF:16X SHDW:2048 BLUR:0
    WORLD DETAIL: 5 SMOKE:1
    PP: QLT:5 HDR:1 FXAA:0 GLR:5 DOF:5 RAYS:1 HEAT:1

- Andrew's bench at 4k -

AC VERSION: 1.4.3 (x64)
    FPS: AVG=73 MIN=4 MAX=147 VARIANCE=0 CPU=28%

LOADING TIME: 14s
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 (3840x2160)
    OS-Version: 6.2.9200 () 0x300-0x1
    CPU CORES: 12
    FULLSCREEN: ON
    AA:4X AF:16X SHDW:4096 BLUR:0
    WORLD DETAIL: 5 SMOKE:1
    PP: QLT:5 HDR:1 FXAA:0 GLR:5 DOF:5 RAYS:1 HEAT:1

So yeah, I'd say go for an i7 if you have the budget for it as it will future proof you pretty nicely as well as keeping you satisfied for now. As far as mobo I'd suggest asus boards since they usually have a ton of features crammed into them. :)

Nahkamarakatti likes this.
  11. Just tried Tom Clancy's The Division which was bundled with the GPU and holy sheit how good looking and smooth image can be. No signs of bottleneck even the CPU loads looked quite heavily stressed. GPU usage stayed perfectly stable in 98% when not using V-sync or frame capping. Dreaming of a similar ( https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B17D_jHma1bfc191ckx0VTBXQTg/view?usp=sharing ) experience in AC, DiRT Rally or in ETS2 so this thread would be absolutely pointless.

Anyway, Thanks for the replies so far! You guys have made myself a lot more confident about the possible upgrade. Keep it coming... :)

12. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

13. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

For reference my GTX 980 Classified usage during AC run (4k)
    upload_2016-4-17_15-32-9.png

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Simracer

4690k and 6600k are pretty much the fastest CPUs money can buy. They are the non-hyperthreaded versions of the 4790k and 6700k which are pretty-much the fastest CPUs around and the 5930k is more-or-less a 4790k with 2 more cores. Basically they're all pretty much the same.

15. Glaurung

Glaurung Hardcore Simmer

The best compromises cost/performance for me at the moment are:
    CPU: i7 5820k
    MoBo: MSI X99A

16. Just ordered i5-6600K.

I'll do some pre-after benchmarking between these builds and will report my findings.

Thanks for the advices!

Sleeper Service, Jaye and Torcano like this.
  17. Jaye

Jaye Alien

Although it's too late, my 980 is also fired by an old 3770K at base clock for triples, so it should be enough.

Spinelli and rycil like this.
  18. First impressions are really good. Seems to me like everything sped up nicely. Did notice a nice fps increase ( because of the stable 98% GPU load ) but will do proper benchmark tests soon.

Ps. Bloody h*ll MSI Fast Boot function is FAST. It literally takes just a few seconds to start up the PC! O_O

Edit: This is a good example of what I think is fast:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    Jaye likes this.
  19. OoALEJOoO

OoALEJOoO Simracer

I have tested 5760x1080 on 2 systems:
    1. GTX 970 + i3 4150 and an
    2. R9 290 + i5 4670k @ 4.4GHz

All other things are equal on those systems.

Both systems perform nearly identical when you have 12 or less AI on the road as far as average FPS goes. Once you have more than 12, the i3 begins to have reduced average FPS. Also, although rare the i3 system has very slight but noticeable stutter perhaps once every two laps lasting for less than a second.
    The i3 never gets more than 80% overall CPU usage but this doesn't mean is not loaded 100%. For example, if I run 7-zip with two threads, Windows and MSI Afterburner report only 2 virtual cores loaded 100%, 2 virtual cores loaded 0% and an overall 50% CPU load which is very misleading, the CPU is really loaded 100% since it is a 2-core CPU (4 virtual cores). I suspect AC's CPU usage report is similarly misleading. The same 7-zip test on the i5 gives identical results (2 at 100%, 2 at 0% and overall 50%), although they are believable since its a true 4 core CPU.

You have a 980Ti which should tilt the bottleneck a bit further from the GPU than my 970 or 290 systems, thus benefiting further from a faster processor.

On this day and age, I would not recommend going lower than a i5 4790k or 6600k. If you go lower, the price difference is not that great and I can guarantee you will very soon want to have a DeLorean to go back in time and redo your purchase.