1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

CSW rim weight and FFB

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Tberg, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Hi,

You guys that have the BMW rim for the CSW, have you any thoughts on the ffb suffering from the weight of the rim?

I have tried upgrading my G25 with an aftermarked wheel, because many says it's great, but the ffb is just destroyed by the extra weight. G25 rim is about 0,6kg/1,3lbs, the momo rim is about 1,4kg/3,1lbs. The size is great, 35mm, but the ffb is then too weak and can't be turned any higher without clipping. Needless to say, driving is much more fun and accurate with the stock G25 rim.

So, was thinking if I got the CSW, which sure is stronger, that maybe I would prefer the ffb with the formula rim way over the heavier BMW rim. It's just that I want to use a gt rim for the gt/road cars, but not if the ffb suffers too much.

Wonder why they didn't produce the GT rim as close to weight of the Formula rim as possible.

thanks!

Backmarker likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Controls & Peripherals CSW 2.5 + McLaren rim settings? Jul 28, 2019
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Fanatec CSW Formula Rim Button Assignments for ACC Apr 11, 2019
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Unable to Change Bindings Fanatec CSW v2 McLaren GT3 Rim and CSP v3 Pedals Oct 11, 2018
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues CSW V2, fanatec f1 rim INPUT LAG/DELAY gear and lights Mar 23, 2017
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Question for csw users: do you use ff experimental/gyro option? Nov 4, 2015
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Unable to assign handbrake to a button on my CSW rim Nov 12, 2013
    ACC Controls & Peripherals CSW 2.5 bindings don't work Jun 30, 2022
    ACC User Interface CSW v2.5 D-pad issue in menus [game window not in 16:9 aspect ratio] Nov 27, 2021
    ACC Controls & Peripherals FFFB not working after switching CSW 2.5 to DD1for AC or ACC Jun 30, 2021
    ACC Hardware Discussions CSW 2.5: Which parameter reduces the steering stiffness? Mar 25, 2021
    ACC Hardware Discussions Desk mounted wheel - CSW 2.5 or DD? Mar 10, 2021
    ACC Controls & Peripherals CSW 2.5 FFB not working with VR [RESOLVED: SteamVR autostart interfering] Jan 20, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting CPU >99% only with csw v2.5 ... Dec 8, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Purchased CSW Bundle Aug 4, 2020
    ACC Controls & Peripherals [CSW 2.5] Wheel buzzing in straight lines [fanatec driver issue] Jul 28, 2020

3. the_prodigy

the_prodigy Racer

F1 rim is lighter so you will feel bit stronger ffb than using BMW, presuming you use default force '100' for both. But CSW is built to handle the BMW rim, you can crank the force very high, it's ffb can rip your hands of the wheel, be it F1 rim or BMW's. Of course cranking it that high is not recomnended because higher load on motors, but you can surely add more force for the BMW rim to match the ffb with F1 rim without any worrying that it will suffer much.

Tberg likes this.
  4. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Thanks for sharing, much appreciated, though have you tried the CSW and rims yourself? Just wondering what your info is based on, as you have the G25 in your sig.

So ffb is still strong without clipping when using the BMW rim?
    Also, maybe you know if the CSW base is the same as the Forza CSR Elite, or know of the differences? I'm thinking ffb wise, accuracy etc.

5. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

I'd recommend monitoring your temps coming out of the CSW base. I simply check that from time to time by putting my hand up to the right side where the air exits the base to see if it feels warm. If it does, I reduce the force in-game or use a preset with lower force (can be changed on the fly). If your motors get hot enough that you can smell the electronics, that's likely doing damage. In most cases, if you stay below the point where clipping occurs, you should be okay. Some people suggest cranking the force beyond 100% in the CSW menu but, some who have done mods and repairs say that is not a good idea for motor longevity. There is also the Buhler motor mod that can increase the strength of the CSW but, it's not simply an easy swap.

If you can afford it, get both wheels for the CSW and you will have the best of both worlds and swapping wheels couldn't be easier.

Coming from using a G25 myself, I can say that the CSW has great FFB, more detail and is stronger than the Logitech wheels. It's also built with better materials making it feel like a real pro-level setup and not just a toy. The Logitech is great for the money though, and mine never missed a beat.

Cote Dazur likes this.
  6. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

From my reading, the CSW and CSR-E share most of the same basic components with the CSW having some updated parts like the circuitry and cooling. Even within model lines, there are some minor variations with different versions. Some use different belts, include a second fan or more options on the main board. Generally, the CSW seems to be a little more capable and has more features like the QR system but, the overall design of the internals is basically the same.

7. Snoopy

Snoopy Alien

Hi, I have put a real aftermarket rim on my G25. It is aluminum and hardly weighs more that the stock rim. The FFB is still weaker because the radius is larger (35cm) but you can crank up the strength in the profiler. Clipping occurs if you increase the gain in-game, but if you do it from the profiler you eliminate that issue. However with AC if you go over 100% you get a nasty vibration when the car is stationary. I hope they fix that.

8. softslider

softslider Racer

As far as I heard from a motion sim rig developer, G27 is able to cover upto 330mm rim. But in my experience, 320mm wheel is best to be used and I don't feel any FFB weakening. And as most of you already know, loose center is covered with power setting 105~107.

9. the_prodigy

the_prodigy Racer

Yes, I have CSW and both rims, thanks for pointing me to update my PC specs :)
    There is no clipping if you add some force through the integrated wheel settings.
    The clipping occurs if the in-game FFB settings (ffb gain in AC) are set to high, like Snoppy explained few posts back.

10. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Alright, thanks for the info, it made me a little more confident in spending on the csw, maybe in near future or if/when the G25 breaks down.

11. sonicshadows

sonicshadows Gamer

I have a csr elite that has a 300mm sparco rim but I didnt think the torque was enough of an upgrade from a g25 that I owned so I put bigger motors in the wheel and use a bigger power supply that more than doubles the torque of the wheel and it no longer overheats, the csw has a FOR setting that the csr elite doesnt so that should give you the extra torque for the bmw rim but it will heat up more quickly.

Its a shame that the csr elite and csw are almost perfect only let down by the choice of cheap motors that overheat because they are used beyond their rating.

Tim Meuris and Cote Dazur like this.
  12. Colt Rogers

Colt Rogers Simracer

I have a CSR Elite and have been smelling some heating up after good session...what mods would you guys recommend me doing to the wheel? I would really love to have more tension on center and overall wheel tension throughout the range of lock, not necessarily more FFB or Vibration but more tension or elasticity feel in the wheel especially when rolling out of lock.

13. sonicshadows

sonicshadows Gamer

Dean Ogurek and Cote Dazur like this.
  14. Colt Rogers

Colt Rogers Simracer

Wow that's amazing! Thanks a bunch. On a scale of 1-10 what would say the upgraded or modded wheel feels like compared to stock?

15. sonicshadows

sonicshadows Gamer

If the modded wheel was a 10 then the stock would be 4 or 5 as it now never overheats and is nearly as strong as a bodnar wheel for less than 10% of the cost, but it all depends on if you like heavy ffb because I am used to driving cars without power steering in real life so I like heavy steering.

Dean Ogurek and Cote Dazur like this.