1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Damping ratio & Ride Frequency questions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Timberwind, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Timberwind

Timberwind Racer

I think there are too few setup & physics topics swirling around and I have a few questions floating in my head.

1) A higher front than rear ride frequency is preferred for race cars vs passenger cars, which do it exactly the other way around for maximum comfort. But are there cases, especially in high downforce cars, where you might want to do it the other way around as well?

2) In most cars again, an undercritical damping is desired with higher rebound than damping. But there seem to be suspension layouts which have ratios bigger than 1 and have much higher damp than rebound values. Sometimes only in the front as I noticed in some GT3 cars. Is it possible to determine from numbers, what the right layout should be like, without having the actual technical manual from the manufacturer?

3) The F138 shows significantly lower ride frequencies than GT3 cars, which should be the other way around by my understanding. Is this because the car engineer app doesn't take into account the heave dampers and with those values it'd be >4hz?

4) How to use MoTec or similar software to analyse what happens with the dampeners and how to draw proper conclusions out of it?

liakjim likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Controls & Peripherals New damping ffb setting Nov 24, 2021
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Fanatec Clubsport Pedals - Brake Settings (Damping Unit) Apr 25, 2021
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Dynamic Damping May 3, 2020
    ACC Physics Dinamic Damping when grip is changes and in turns Jul 20, 2019
    ACC Controls & Peripherals dinamic damping settings May 9, 2019
    ACC Controls & Peripherals what is damping in FFB?? Mar 10, 2019
    ACC Controls & Peripherals FFB Setting Dynamic Damping Oct 13, 2018
    ACC Controls & Peripherals DirectInput damping effect left running after exiting from game Sep 17, 2018
    Suggestions Live Axle Lateral Damping Oct 17, 2017
    Physics Bugs & Issues Mazda RX-7 default damping Dec 14, 2016
    Physics Bugs & Issues GT3 Damping adjustment range Feb 14, 2016
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues How to set damping for ffb wheel in this sim? t500rs Oct 30, 2015
    Chit Chat Room How damping works? Mar 3, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Damping,centering spring and ffb question Feb 5, 2015
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues in-game wheel damping settings May 12, 2014

3. Georg Siebert

Georg Siebert Simracer

4. Timberwind

Timberwind Racer

Thank you a lot for all this useful information. This helps really quite a lot and should be pinned as must-read material.

Though some question remain. The older GT3 cars have bumpers with low kN/m damping rate. Thus I can use low wheel rates and available damping is still in the theoretical optimal range. However in the newer ones, e.g McLaren 650S GT3, their lowest bumper rate is 10,6 kN/m. This is only sufficient for wheel rates of >= 140kN/m. Should I compensate these hard springs with more travel range and softer ARB? Or would I have to start using compression based suspension here in order to go for softer springs?

Are there also some applicable formulas for optimal travel range and packer rate in AC or is this pure trial&error without estimated guess possibility? And no, I don't plan on building a mathematical simulation with high order differential equations. :p

Is there a reason for B=1.4 and R=0.8 or just an example for "working" compression based damping?

When setting up a high downforce vehicle with heave springs/dampers, I'd calculate them using series & parallel circuits to get onto my desired rates. Going by intuition, I'd say heave springs/dampers should be stiffer than the wheel suspension. So there's better mechanical traction and still a high aerodynamic stability. But what should the split be? Based on the F138 default setup it seems to be about 2-3x more than a single wheel.

The more I read about all of this, even more questions arise. :D

5. bap

bap Gamer

I would be more worried on how the car respond to changes. I think when people say "it is over dampened" it just means that the majority doesn't use that setting. It doesn't mean that it is wrong either. Not factoring chassis flex, driveability, comfort.. I think we don't have to follow those things they tell us, especially in simulator.

To what exactly you need to do?

6. Kade

Kade Hardcore Simmer

In real life there may be limitations to corner spring softness due to limited travel but in AC you can't really break the suspension by compressing the packers too much (metal-to-metal is completely missing step). There have been modern F1 cars that didn't run corner springs at all at rear and used only heave spring + arb setup (https://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2010/12/03/spring-less-rear-suspension-a-quiet-revolution/).

IIRC when I drove the F138, I ended up running softest front corner springs and maximum front heave stiffness and that allowed low front ride height while not stalling the front diffuser on braking zones. IIRC I setupped the rear heave stiffness to minimize straight line drag (body AOA) after I had figured out the ride height. The car had rear diffuser bug back then, I dunno if it's fixed or not (Aero element for coanda simulation added so much AOA to the diffuser that it actually reduced the downforce so the car would actually have had more downforce without the effect). I reported couple of other bugs on the car and they really didn't seem to care (no response, no fix), and this one might not be even reported, not by me at least.

The ride quality and mechanical grip gain from it (rear frequency > front frequency) is not the most important thing in the aero-car setup. Often you want to optimize heights of the floor aero elements, front being often more sensitive than the rear. Also more torque demand there is from the rear tyres, more the mechanical grip gain from soft rear setup will help (depending on the track ofc).

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  7. Timberwind

Timberwind Racer

Just a good & fast setup to drive, but I want to reduce the trial & error approach. So at least I have a starting point.

Following Pictures were taken with speeds @ 226-228 km/h on Silverstone International straight at 26 degrees, no wind, optimum track, clear weather @ 12 o'clock. Default setup. Only height has changed.
    Front height - Rear Height
    30 - 30
    30-50
    0-50

No Rake 30-30.jpg
    Default Rake 30-50.jpg
    High Rake 0-50.jpg

Because of the different heights, the wings and diffusers work with differences in CL & CD. But it seems not to take into account the rake angle (body) itself to increase CL&CD. Most of the higher CD in the high rake configuration comes from the not-adjusted rear wing angle. It does take into account the AOA of the body. Is this worthy of an issue post in the physics forum or is there something I don't understand yet? I remember reading high rake configuration is free CL in F1 cars, that's why they run these setups in RL.

When you have a higher front than rear frequency it means the rear has a softer setup, while the front is stiffer, thus stabilizing aerodynamics.

8. Kade

Kade Hardcore Simmer

Yeah those images made me remember a few things.

1) Rear wing drag is crazy and that's why you get way more efficient aero by running it "low". I ran something around 16 front and 7 rear wing settings to get center of pressure close to CoG (as you can see from the images, your CP is around 46-47% but drag is not included in that number so the real CP is around 5% rearwards (41-42% front).
    2) Body AOA is quite negligible (in matter of suspension setup) and you should aim to run rear diffuser close to 2 degrees on corner exits where you need the downforce. Diffusers can stall on straights under heavy aero load but it's ok as long as they work close to optimal height in corners.
    3) Floor rake effect doesn't exits as itself because the floor is not a "whole" element but rake effects still are implemented by having AOA curves for different floor elements (like the rear diffuser at 2 degrees is optimal). Basically you don't gain downforce from the floor itself (there's no downforce vector middle of the floor), but it's a sum of the front and rear elements.
    4) The engine's powercurve is quite weird, because it's like limiter hits way too soon (you'd want to rev above) so there's quite a lot of tenths to be gained on tracks like monza by choosing gear ratios carefully.
    5)The car is quite hard to manage at high speed corners with balanced aero setup because the differential locks too much (it's not really curable by aero, unless you want slow car with understeer).

liakjim and Timberwind like this.
  9. Timberwind

Timberwind Racer

How did you estimated/calculated those additional 5% rearwards? I can imagine a GT3 or GTE car being affected more or less than those 5%.

Indeed in terms of suspension it won't play such a big role. Does the AOA change the upper body's function as a "wing" or is this effect so neglible it doesn't need to be calculated, as it seems to be the case as there's no CL value. Front and rear wings and diffusers play the most important role in downforce, though doesn't the upper body give some downforce as well, if so how much, with increased AOA?

Yup, it's modeled already with the mentioned parts.

I think there was a forum post somewhere criticizing the unability to change this. In the real car it's possible I read, correct me though if I'm wrong.

So far, pretty awesomely informative answers in this topic^^

10. Kade

Kade Hardcore Simmer

It's a ballpark figure and in my tests it often ended up close to the 5% figure (for F138, F3 and GT3 Huracan at least), of course it varies a bit from car to car and varies also with the event (straight line and max downforce vs. start of the braking zone for example). I calculated the center of pressure by taking vector sum of the lift- and drag force vectors for all the aero elements using RaceStudio.

It's possible to make body_AOA_lift curve in Assetto Corsa but this car doesn't have it as can be seen from the 0.00 CL value from the wings app. However drag of the "body-element" is the most significant part in the car's total drag which transfers the center of pressure rearwards.