1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Doing driving lessons :s

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by ShimonART, Jul 8, 2015.

1. ShimonART

ShimonART Alien

guys , iam doing my driving lessons now and i feel that the g27 wheel i was using for along time now has giving me bad driving habbits . the small wheel and not realistic pedels and week shifter.
    i really want to continue playing but i feel it will confuse me while driving irl . the driving lessons and passing the test in my country can take a few months.
    is there any wheel + pedels and shifter that i can buy that will give me true feeling of driving or is it just money down the drain ?

2. Tucker73

Tucker73 Hardcore Simmer

anything to familurise yourself with being in car is good...my nephew of 23 has just started driving lessons and his instructor said as a novice driver on his first lesson he did extremely well....in the uk to obtain a full licence you must take test in a manual car so select an h pattern road car.~(one of the lotus or abarth is fine) the g27 will be fine as nothing really preps you for real world feel...so for now your g27 is fine..check this out it may help...

Horus likes this.
  3. Horus

Horus Alien

Even though it is a great sim and the G27 is a fine wheel, they are still play things. Toys for boys. Still they do give you the chance to balance clutch and throttle, how to brake and give you good practice at wheel shuffling. So yes they are not really close to the real feel of driving in real life, but they can be used to practice wheel and clutch control, mostly that annoying wheel shuffle. :)

P.S. Good luck with your lessons and driving test.

Tucker73 likes this.
  4. Mogster

Mogster Alien

The main problems with using AC as a training tool would be the very basic clutch modelling and low speed physics issues.

Both of these have little impact when your driving fast but trying to do a realistic hill start for instance wouldn't work.

PhenOm, CCX, ZachRacer88 and 2 others like this.
  5. kikie

kikie Simracer

What are the bad driving habbits you are talking about? I don't understand how a G27 can give you bad driving habbits.

If the wheel is too small, replace it with a larger real wheel. Or get a very expensive Direct Drive Servo wheel, like the OSW, the Accuforce, the Bodnar wheel or the Pro SW basic/advance or get a Fanatec CSP base V2.

Another solution is to stop playing games untill you pass your driving lessons! :D

Horus likes this.
  6. nonnex

nonnex Alien

My personal suggestion. Just don't drive like you do in AC in your drv. lessons and everything is going to be alright and you'll get you driving licence. ;)

Dookie likes this.
  7. ShimonART

ShimonART Alien

iam 23 aswell and i have to do atleast 28 lessons which will take at least one month and then a very long wait for the driving test which can take about 2 month of wait . (thats alot of time without AC :[ )

the main issue iam having is that iam not used to drive with such a big wheel like i do in my driving lessons and how much i have to turn the wheel just to make a corner :S also my driving teacher telling me iam not rotating the wheel properly ( i shuffle) when he says i should cross rotate .
    also the clutch pedal is really short in the g27 , and that makes me not pressing the clutch all the way when iam driving . brake pedal sort of ok if you dont play with shoes .

8. victor86

victor86 Racer

You should have watched some real videos how to rotate the wheel even before playing with g27. Small wheel, big wheel, technique stays the same. Cars have different cluth pedals, some are short, some are long, some are stiff, some are soft... As long as it's a pedal it's great to practice. Not pressing clutch all the way? Are you sure your seat position is correct?

9. ShimonART

ShimonART Alien

not sure about the seat , i feel close inaf already but i will try making my seat iven more close in my next driving lesson and see if that helps . (its a vw jetta 2.0 if that helps anything to understand better. )

10. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

you'll get used to the real wheel, pedals and shifter in no time. No need to panic and no need to stop playing AC.

kofotsjanne likes this.
  11. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

The human brain does an astonishing job in adapting known things, don't worry too much.

You probably did the experiment on your own many times in AC: If you drive different cars, you'll end up with extremly different brake behaviours. Some cars need to be taken down to the metal, some lock brakes soon after the pedal has been touched. Your brain managed this so good that you almost don't remember the difference. It'll be the same in a real car, give it 1-2 hours and it will feel good.

BUT:
    It's very sensible to think about a possible influence. Talk to your trainer about it, and stay awake.
    For example I got less secure in judging the measurements of my cars, maybe because of different view positions and FoV.

12. I can confirm that staying awake is very important when driving in the real world ;)

ZachRacer88, Tucker73 and Minolin like this.
  13. ShimonART

ShimonART Alien

i had that measurements thing in my first go , because iam used to a fixed screen . defintly going to buy the VR now .

i also did some reverse parking today , that went ok'ish o_O

14. Tucker73

Tucker73 Hardcore Simmer

and be sure to keep your Logitech driver at 900 degrees of rotation...and use cars that have 900 also...this is more akin to the average road car. and remember that when the traffic lights turn amber that don't mean GET READY....;) and as said above...a realistic field of view is vital...even if it may seem slow to you. use the calculator if you want things as close to the real world as possible ...and good luck....remember your mirrors. p.s. I forgot to add in my first post that my nephew has probably logged 200 hours in iracing and ac...he also loves euro truck simulator...which is great for having to be aware of other vehicles..

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  15. ouvert

ouvert Alien

driving car is not about wheel size, or pedals response (every car IRL feels different but once you can drive one, you can drive any) ... driving is the easy part (basically operating simple machine with little input methods), you hardly will be doing more than 100 kmh at driving school .. most of the time you`ll be at under 50 ... just dont use games as reference (in terms of feeling it is using similar input (car physics) with way different and limited output (FFB wheel) .. motion rig will help but even than it is not the same .. more about immersion than realism)

intructors are teaching you safest way to operate car but at the end you`ll be driving with different hands (possibly just figer :) ) possition, pressing clutch fully make sense only for starting and stoping, other than that it is just gentle tuch to change gear (car dependable), you don`t really need hand brake to start to the hill, etc ... you`ll figure out best way for you ...

Focus on trafic around, think 3-5 cars ahead of you, always know what is going on behind you and in your blind spots, keep calm, don`t rush (we all will meet at first traffic light), don`t just react to situations - you should be able to do things before it happends (if you know what I mean) .. and most imporant thing: respect others - it is now about how good driver you are, it is about how bad other drivers could be .. so don`t put them in situations where they could panic or react differently than you expect (getting licence is way to easy imho, half of a people on the road shouldn`t get it, eventhough they know how to operate car (or they are too old to drive) .. count with it).

After few days you won`t be really thinking about mechanical part of driving and those awardness and thinking skills will be automated after some practice too ...

after while you probably will apply some methods from simracing into your daily driving .. but mostly it is just putting unnecesarry stress on mech. parts of a car ... what you should take from it situation awardness and keeping calm (like when you are racing, you don`t just rush to overtake at any cost, you wait, prepare and than execute ..

sorry for beeing so long :)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    Jez likes this.
  16. Epocx

Epocx Alien

This confused feeling will go away after a short period of time. I would suggest not to play exessive hours of AC shortly before doing driving lessons.

And probably invest the money you would need to spent in a PC wheel into a real car :D :D

Mogster likes this.
  17. Jez

Jez Racer

I agree, with the other comments here, on a personal level I taught myself how to drive manual after using the G25/7 for a very very long time, a real vehicle is completely different from the wheels that we have readily available today.

Honestly It wasn't far off from what I expected, except the point where I had to learn to be smooth with the clutch (my particular problem) its impossible to do that on a G27 thats for sure.

As for real driving however, this is where I draw the line. Personally for me the moment I step into any of my vehicles, I instantly throw whatever I know in AC or simulators out the window, and focus purely on the road and my surroundings. This is the real world after all, not some random racetrack. And there is no "reset button/return to pits" in the real world.

The only time I really recall ever having to draw from my sim experiences was getting into an unexpected slide from a tire blowout in my miata on a roundabout in the rain. I think that was valuable knowledge (knowing how to correct a slide) to have that saved my bacon from an accident.

All in all, Ouvert mentioned, some really sound advice, I fully agree with them!

Whatever you do personally I would stop playing AC for at least a day or two prior to doing your drivers lessons. When it comes to your actual driving exam, I highly suggest avoid playing AC or even looking at your wheel at least a week prior to your exam.

Just be safe and alert out there on the real roads.

Too many young and talented drivers die in accidents on the roads all around the world today.

We don't want that to happen, after all how else are we going to enjoy racing with you in AC??

18. SuperBobKing

SuperBobKing Racer

The size of the g27 wheel doesn't really matter much, as actual cars have different sized wheels. I think the g27 is actually about the same size as the wheel in the recent Ford Focus. It is probably an inch or two smaller but it feels pretty much the same compared to the wheel in my car.

19. AlBahner

AlBahner Hardcore Simmer

Racing games are fine to prepare for real world driving, even when you're not using a wheel. But really listen to the guys before saying you shouldn't play AC shortly before driving, did some laps with the 4C on the Nordschleife and then did the groceries, for the first 2 minutes I was steering way too quick and accelerated faster than usual also the wheel felt weird. But then you get used to driving again, could end worse for someone who just learns to drive. Also pick a road track and try to stay within the speed limits and use the shifter as you would in real life so you get more used to shifting and shifting at certain speeds. Rule of thumb for a 6-speed is to adjust your gear number to the speed your driving, i.e. 10kmh -> 1st, 20km/h -> and so on and try that in Assetto Corsa, also try to shift by the ear. I learnt that in racing games and I didn't even need to look at the rpm when I had my driving lessons.

20. offcorsa

offcorsa Simracer

it's so strange for me to read about the process of getting licenced in other countries. I was driving when I was 11 yrs old on the farm and backroads. got my license the day I turned 16.

actually fixed up an old pickup, it was a 3speed column shift. bombed around in that till the clutch went out...then learned rev-matching and still bombed around. lol

victor86 likes this.