1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Driving aids- what do you use?

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by AfroSamurai, Oct 16, 2018.

1. AfroSamurai

AfroSamurai Rookie

hi guys. Not new to sim racing but I don't play it very often as I'm into a whole variety of games.

Now I've got the thrustmaster t300 and t3pa inverted pedals. No shifter yet. Running on a acer predator 1440p 144Hz monitor. Sometime use my oculus rift.

I wanna talk about driving aids. When I first started sim racing with my wheel n what not I started off my having ALL the driving aids off. Apart from ABS actually. But I found I very difficult to control the cars in a race that as well as not knowing the tracks made it very hard and soon just went back to other games and only played sims every now and then.

Anyway, since getting back into sim racing a bit more, I've been playing with the driving aids on and trying to learn tracks and understand cars and racing in general. Now, since buying ACC the other day, I decdided to turn stability control off and traction control off (also now done this is Pcars and AC1) and I feel like it's much better. Ok not as easy to handle, but I feel like I can get much more of a feel for the car and understand it's characteristics. It's more challenging and more fun actually. I've now started to run with ABS off to understand how driving without ABS works.

What I really want to know is, do you guys, or real racing driving drive with the assist fully off, partially off or fully on???
    I want to know so I know how I should practice racing. At this point I like having th assists off.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds All AI cars on all tracks are driving 50 mph during race! Jan 14, 2024
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds cant get my standard Interior driving view Nov 15, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Your personal Driving Coach Oct 6, 2023
    ACC Tools Your personal Driving Coach Oct 6, 2023
    ACC Gameplay Kyalami 100%: AI over-driving Leeukop May 28, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting UE4 Fatal Error at random times during driving Apr 22, 2023
    ACC Physics Zero / extremely light FFB when driving straight ACC v1.9.0 Apr 20, 2023
    ACC Gameplay Hotlap Session - start driving and TC and ABS changes Mar 23, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Game briefly freezes and shows the setup screen during driving Feb 13, 2023
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues I look like I'm driving underground to other people Dec 21, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting screen microfreezing while driving Dec 19, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions FFB Logitech G29/920 driving GT3 vs GT4 Oct 1, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting driving with another ai car instead of my own after replay Aug 23, 2022
    ACC User Interface When using the FocusPlayerCar Hotkey whilst not driving in team races, hotkey doesn't work Jul 16, 2022
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Menu button "up" being pressed constantly when driving under 10km/h Jun 21, 2022

3. kiril_r

kiril_r Racer

Hi, do not treat ABS and TC as a driving aids - they are part of the 'real game'. Depending on the situation you are in, those two may vary

Driving aids are the likes of visible racing line, stability control, brake assistance etc.
    I personally use nothing of that (the PRO preset)

Cheers

Rehooja likes this.
  4. Rehooja

Rehooja Simracer

I don't use any assists either. Only when learning new tracks I use the racing line for a little while to see how the generic flow of the track goes and then I start exploring the track limits without it.

And what comes to TC/ABS I don't consider them as "assists" even though that's what they really are. I think them more as another car setup option. I have a button box that has rotatory dials that I have assigned to TCS and ABS so I can change them while driving. Some turns need bit more TC then others and I usually like to drop the ABS a little if there is a turn with long braking line like the T1 in Nürburg. But I always have some TC and some ABS on.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  5. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

the answer is quite simple:
    when you fire up a simulation you want to be as close as possible to the reality.
    if the car has tc/abs in reality - no doubt what you have to do ;)

dermonty likes this.
  6. dermonty

dermonty Hardcore Simmer

exactly this :D I use no aids at all. And if I learn a new track I don't use ideal line. Instead I do it like I would do in real. Go slower around the track to memorize all corners combined with track map. And later on watch maybe videos of real drivers when I have problems to find a good line on tricky corners.

sissydriver likes this.
  7. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

last year i was new to sim racing and the special event (dunno the name, at work atm) where you have to increase your speed from really slow to "fast" - that was a breakthrough for me. :)
    you learn to be patient, see how the car reacts when you drive a little bit faster.

before i thought i must do every lap a new world record (never heard bout aliens until then) and crashed mostly in the first corner. o_O
    after endless attempts (crashing from corner to corner...) the first valid laps are done. proud as hell. :rolleyes:

after discovering the weekly hotlap challenge my mouth stands open. it was spa - and i am fast, really fast. yeah. :cool:
    first alien incoming, when i remember correctly he was >8s faster.....o_O:eek:
    thought he is cheating!!!:mad:

this "chrash kid" approach is one of the biggest problems in the sim racing world. :oops:

dermonty likes this.
  8. AfroSamurai

AfroSamurai Rookie

Ok so what you guys are saying is that you have TC and ABS on as factory settings if the car comes with it?

I think what I'll do is, leave ABS on. But leave everything else off no matter what car it is.

9. AfroSamurai

AfroSamurai Rookie

Let me ask you this tho...

Say I'm of the same skill level and speed of a really quick driver... if he were to drive with TC ABS and stability on, would I be (or could I be) as fast if I were to drive with those off. Keep in mind we are of the same high skill level. What I'm saying is, are you faster with the assists on or off. I feel like you're faster with them off but could be prone to more mistakes like losing control of the car and spinning.

10. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...d-tc-abs-be-this-necessary.51767/#post-997065

here is all the information you need.

especially this one

hope this helps you a little bit ;)

Minolin and dermonty like this.
  11. AfroSamurai

AfroSamurai Rookie

thanks ill check that out when i get a min cheers.

12. Frankiez

Frankiez Gamer

I find it very difficult to drive without TC since my wheel/pedals (TM TMX PRO) do not give anykind of feedback about the traction or when the car is about to lose its traction. In real life race car it is much easier to "feel" the traction or lack of it.