1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

F40 and Road Cars in general

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Fernandito, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Fernandito

Fernandito Racer

Hey Kunos.

First and foremost I love your work. I know your passionated and dedicated devs who love racing above anything else, but I can't help but ask you about something that, sure It's been asked and shown before, but understand I didn't find it.

Question is. Why can't I do this in your game with a F40? (4:18 - 7:27)

And now the more general question. Why are road cars so difficult to drive in your game?. I know you use mathematical stuff in your game in order to replicate real physics, but then..., why isn't this possible. In short. Racing cars are easier to drive than what you reproduce with your road cars in assetto corsa. Why are they so hard in AC then if you replicate real physics?. The

Please address this matter in future patches. Please look further into your tyre model behaviour, because things in real life are definitely easier than they are in assetto corsa.

Regards and keep up the good work.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Screens & Videos F40 Stage 3 on Nürburgring WITH CONTROLLER Nov 18, 2020
    Screens & Videos Tribute to Ferrari F40 Dec 19, 2019
    Chit Chat Room Ferrari F40 VS. F50 a little tribute between two legends Feb 9, 2018
    Console Lounge The Ferrari F40 Dec 24, 2017
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues F40 exhaust flames Oct 15, 2017
    General modding discussion F40 S3 slicks (visual)? Oct 11, 2017
    Screens & Videos Fair match - Ferrari F40 versus RUF CTR Yellowbird Aug 27, 2017
    Physics Bugs & Issues Ferrari F40 - Tyre wear of Street 90s Aug 16, 2017
    Physics Bugs & Issues F40 s3 - adjustable turbo missing.?? Jun 20, 2017
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues I cannot choose Ferrari F40 normal(AI car) Jun 17, 2017
    Screens & Videos "Rare footage", Ferrari F40 Showreel at Imola Racetrack -1987 May 27, 2017
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues [Launcher] #Vintage GT tag shows Ferrari F40 which is #Vintage Supercars May 23, 2017
    Physics Bugs & Issues F40 street tyres temps May 17, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Has something drastically changed in the F40 recently Apr 27, 2017
    Screens & Videos Ferrari f40 vs Lamborghini Countach Apr 15, 2017

3. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Maybe something is wrong with your wheel, pedals or car setup, or not enough skill.

Racing_34 likes this.
  4. DuckeyTapey

DuckeyTapey Hardcore Simmer

Perfectly doable in Assetto Corsa. The problem is likely in your driving abilities and/or your game settings.

5. It's funny cause I think AC is way more permissive than IRL. But that's beating a dead horse.

Either your hardware settings are really bad, or you're not very good at driving. The latter is a normal thing, not everyone can drift like Harris does.

xystof, Nahkamarakatti and TheBoss like this.
  6. Nmoleiro

Nmoleiro Gamer

If you had an F40 and you smashed your accelerator pedal in real life as you do on the sim maybe things would be more close. In real life we can smash the pedals of our everyday cars because they are weak... Try that with 300, 400 or more HP under your right foot.
    Another thing is the sense of speed and fear, i the sim we dont get the same sense of speed nor fear so we tend to dont lift and/or brake later....

I sometimes say to my friends watching me lap the ring: i if was there for real in this car, i know i wouldnt be able to push like this.

7. djtopa

djtopa Hardcore Simmer

Hmm I agree road cars are harder to drive thats why I almost never drive racing car in AC haha...
    I think thats because of race cars have better tyres,brakes,aero,suspension and all other things that make car easier to drive fast on racing track...

8. Race car: (much) Higher limit, makes you think you're going super fast even tho you're still far from the limit. Even more so IRL because of the forces. Also usually perfectly balanced (corner load and cross weight).

Street car: Way less grip, easier to get over the limit of grip even going fairly slowly, badly balanced (unequal corner load and cross weight), usually compromised between street usage and performance (or fully street biased) making them not good at anything specifically, etc.

Basically, you're just bad at controlling a car at and over the limit. With race cars that limit is much higher and easier to fall back in if you drive a bit badly, giving you a false sense of "easiness".

Berry, mantasisg 2 and Nmoleiro like this.
  9. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Practice, practice, practice. Seriously, that's a well-meant tip. /thread.

10. Wrong practice is bad practice tho, so you can't always say that. He's doing something wrong for sure somewhere. But of course there's no way to tell from a forum post.

11. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

modern race cars are way more sketchy than road cars in AC. i suck at drifting but i can hold a slide quite easily in a lot of road cars, especially on street tyres where the slicks and sensitive steering make it way more difficult in the modern race machines. is it possible you are over driving the road cars and under driving the race cars?

12. chakko

chakko Alien

Road cars drive great in AC.

xystof and Mogster like this.
  13. Turk

Turk Alien

I find it hard to drift. I can hold long prolonged drifts if I'm trying to avoid them in a race but once I try to just drift, it doesn't work. I don't put much time into drifting though, it's skill you need to learn.

14. Did the OP seriously ask why he doesn't have the same skills as Chris Harris?

I can't drift at all, but I can powerslide a bit here and there and AC feels pretty damn close to real life to me.

15. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Oh yeah, im sure drifting a ferrari f40 is easier in real life than ac. ;) Fix it!

Nanocide and Nmoleiro like this.
  16. Turk

Turk Alien

It could also be a wheel setting. If my old fanatec wheel isn't set to 2 on the drift option the FFB just sort of lets go when it comes to counter steer making it very difficult to know what the wheels are doing. My wheel is also slightly broken, it's very loose around the centre which make older cars difficult to keep straight.

17. chakko

chakko Alien

I'd recommend to join a drift server. ;)

18. Yeah, for me its pretty spot on.

And by that I mean I can catch a bit of oversteer if need be, and can make it slide, but by no means is it pretty or graceful. And that's both IRL and in AC.

19. Orne

Orne Alien

Everybody wonders why they can't drive like Chris Harris, perhaps you lack the skill lad !

I can't comment on how accurately the F40 is modeled in AC although I've not seen many people on youtube driving a real F40. Turbo lag is a beast to deal with in that car. I have seen videos of people in AC drifting the F40.

ahem.... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    Dookie and Alistair McKinley like this.
  20. ECGadget

ECGadget Racer

OP, it is all down to practise. A lot of it. After many many laps in an F40 I am confident enough to slide it somewhat. And it is difficult to slide yes, but not because of the entry into the slide. It is due to the way the boost works. If you want to try sliding it, raise up the tyre pressures and see if that helps you out.

This is the same with all road cars. Most are designed to understeer from a safety point, so you need to throw it to the limit to get them oversteering.

21. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Hardcore Simmer

The same idea sprang to my mind. :)
    Chris Harris can drift anything! I mean: He's been driving so many different cars for so many years - he lives and breathes cars (if that is the right expression in english). I doubt that I will ever have more hours in Assetto Corsa and all of its sequels than Chris Harris has spent time in and with cars by now. And he's not that old. :-D

@Fernandito:
    Maybe there is something wrong at your end - like others have already stated.