1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Ffb damper and it's effects?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by tommi karsikas, Oct 16, 2015.

1. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

It's the wheel, because I recently upgraded my aging Fanatec GT3 RS to a T300RS, and the DTM cars came alive immediately, almost no deadzone, very live FFB, so much road data transferred through wheel I added dampening to kill some of the cogging going on.

2. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

Thank you so much Stefano...having a dickens of a time calibrating my wheel. One question, what exactly is FFB enable_gyro?

3. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Gyro = gyroscope -> gyroscopic effect

https://woodgears.ca/physics/gyro.html

This is what does

4. VinceSchulz

VinceSchulz Simracer

I have to say even with the G27 you recognise a very subtile effect with gyro enabled. I like it very much and don't want to go back. Every time a big update comes to AC it overwrites the activated gyro effect in the .ini and everytime i wonder again why the driving feels so different. :eek::D

5. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Hi Stefano,
    Does DAMPER_MIN_LEVEL=0.0 mean no dampening when car is moving at all, or there is still some that supposed to apply.
    I am experiencing some in driver set dampening applied even with damper_min_level is at 0, not as strong as when setting it to something like 1, but definitely there. And it goes away completely when dampening set to 0 in driver.
    Is that an expected behavior?

Thanks

6. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

Yes. Restricts dampening gain to work only when the car is standing still. Raise the Minimum level, and you control the percentage of the gain dampening used at speed. For example, I use .2 Min dampening, with dampening gain of 3.8 for my T300. This means that I'm using 20% of the 380% gain at all times around track.

7. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Thanks for chiming in but this is not what the question was about.
    To paraphrase, even with damper_min_level to 0.0 there is still some dampening present when car is moving.

8. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

Nope! What sets any dampening in the game is your wheel settings from what I understand. Turn off all wheel dampening, use only Kunos stock, and the only dampening present is when the car is at a standstill. I know the question he was asking. Min sets how much of the damper gain is used at speed.

9. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Sorry, I believe we are talking slightly different things:
    1) W/o damper in driver you will not see any in game
    2) Damper_Gain determines how much of this "in driver" damper is felt in game (when car is stationary)
    3) Damper_Min_Level is how much of the damper from (2) is produced when car is moving, default muliplier is 0, i.e. theoretically no dampening.

But tests show that even with damper_min_level = 0, some of the damper from (2) still bleeds when car is moving.
    Not like this is an issue, in fact in my book quite desirable default behavior.
    It just not aligns exactly with the definition, as if damper_min_level=0 does not mean absolute zero multiplier.

10. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

Then it would seem you are picking at semantics or getting nit-picky about how someone answers a community question :rolleyes:

11. liakjim

liakjim Alien

@Andrew_WOT , lets see what i did :

DAMPER_MIN_LEVEL=0.1
    DAMPER_GAIN=0.4
    Also 100% damping from profiler

So when car is stationary, i get 40% damping which is linear reduced to 10% when car is speeding.
    If you remember there was a setting "Damping" in controller settings , right bellow "filter" which was removed.
    I used to have 10%. Now with DAMPER_MIN_LEVEL=0.1 i have exactly the same thing.

So with DAMPER_MIN_LEVEL=0.0 , you should suppose to have zero damping from game and only some damping from your wheel's hardware ( internal friction).
    If you still feeling damping, is not the game to be blamed.
    Either you suffer from placebo or you have to check your wheel profiler (i don't know about fanatec )

Silhuette and F430_458_F12 like this.
  12. This is not how it works as I've shown you before. Damper_Min_Level atleast on OSW means just minimum damping. 0,2 will give you 20% damping overall, no matter how your damping is set from the driver.

If you don't believe, watch my video again. :)

F430_458_F12 likes this.
  13. nope, it's not. Once the car is moving, changing damper on the wheel should not give any difference in the results at all... it might be a driver trying to be overly "smart" and ending up doing the wrong thing... or our formula being stupid (will double check today).

tommi karsikas and F430_458_F12 like this.
  14. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Definitely not a placebo, the oscillating wheel vs. smooth, dampened move is hard to confuse on OSW. It might be harder but not impossible to pick on other wheel though, see link below

That was my expectation as well, and a big surprise when it didn't work that way and then I remembered that same condition was reported by Thrustmaster users earlier,
    https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...eels-official-thread.3296/page-56#post-566988
    so it seems it might not be OSW specific.

@F430_458_F12, not sure what your problem is.

Johnnypenso likes this.
  15. Lowkey

Lowkey Racer

16. On clean W10, without any additional antyvirus it works as it should... so seems that all my previous strange G27 behaviours was related to rig problems...

17. Mogster

Mogster Alien

liakjim likes this.
  18. Don't like Gyro effect in AC, additonally this level of damping IMHO kills FFB. To reduce deadzone I'm using min force at level 4... :oops: Combination with gamma about 0,89-0,92 or with little damping (for me max is 25% in logitech and 0,1 min damper in ini). Result is live and responsive feedback with great feeling, easy to countersteer and with "jump" feeling when wheels are not touching road

19. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

DD-Wheels certainly benefit from enabling "Gyro" and most titles require a bit of "under the hood" tweaking to make best use of the increased range of these steering-systems imo. A bit of dampening also smoothens some of the harshness and can aid control by slowing the wheel-response a bit - at least for normal use. I feel like the Gyro feature is a smart addition to AC for such hardware and it's an easy feature to enable vs having to deal with multiple combinations of tweaks as with other titles.

20. Mogster

Mogster Alien

I did have to give myself some time to get used to the extra damping, now I like it. I don’t feel minimum force does anything to reduce deadzone. As I understand it minimum force amplifies forces that are produced but without damping added there are no forces in the centre to amplify.

I like my FFB to feel like real car steering as much as possible.