1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Ffb damper and it's effects?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by tommi karsikas, Oct 16, 2015.

1. There is a lot of confusion based on experiences (which are obviously subjective) what does Damper value actually does in Assetto Corsa post 1.3?

Values in assetto_corsa.ini that are affected by damper value from drivers are:
    DAMPER_MIN_LEVEL=0.0
    DAMPER_GAIN=1.0 ; Set to 0 for Logitech g920

[LOW_SPEED_FF]
    SPEED_KMH=3 ; Under this speed the reduction will start
    MIN_VALUE=0.01 ; The FF multiplier for 0kmh.

As far as my own experiments has let me understand the forementioned values, damper_min_level is to set how much of the damper_gain value is in use all the time.
    Damper_gain value effects also the low_speed_FF, which is set by min_value as a multiplier, and the speed_kmh determines how high speed does this damper reaches, till it disappears.

The question here is, what are the actual effects of these values concering Force Feedback, and is there any dampening effect beyond 3 kilometers per hour, at these default values?

Factual knowledge is needed here, so measured values or if a dev could clarify this situation, that would be the bees knees, and we all could get on with our lives. :)

Alexandr66 likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room Best setting for drifting - ffb gain and damper? Sep 6, 2014
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues FFB too much damper? Nov 9, 2013
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Thrustmaster ts-xw ffb on pc Feb 26, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting FFB is lost after going to the Menus Feb 3, 2024
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Redurce FFB on Curbs Jan 25, 2024
    ACC Controls & Peripherals What's happened to ACC FFB Jan 3, 2024
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Better FFB in ACC for low-medium range wheels? Dec 10, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions FFB coming and going at random with Thurstmaster TS-XW Aug 27, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Weird ffb on G920 Aug 21, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals No FFB from Simagic Alpha Mini Aug 5, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions FFB and FOV Jul 20, 2023
    Physics Bugs & Issues Lost of FFB - PC Jun 7, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals PC - FFB issues Jun 7, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Thrustmaster T818 FFB issue Apr 28, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals 1.9 & T300 - check here if you feel mushy ffb Apr 24, 2023

3. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Great question, still no definite answer as it seems.
    Bumping up.

4. liakjim

liakjim Alien

As i understood from @Lord Kunos' streams :

DAMPER_MIN_LEVEL=0.0
    DAMPER_GAIN=1.0
    This is when car is stationary. As it starts rolling , damping starts to drop linearly to zero (when car reaches 40klm i think). This is to simulate the heavy steer while stationary.
    So if you put 0.2 , then when stationary you will get 20% damping multiplied with DAMPER_GAIN.

[LOW_SPEED_FF]
    SPEED_KMH=3 ; Under this speed the reduction will start
    MIN_VALUE=0.01 ; The FF multiplier for 0kmh.
    I don't know what are these for.

I hope Stefano will clear this up.

5. Let's start with the Damper. This is a DX effect that tends to slow down the wheel rotation.. the faster the wheel is rotating the more opposite force is added.
    The implementation is left to the driver/hardware.. so there isn't much control over it. In AC it is currently used to simulate the "stiff" wheel when the car is not moving.
    DAMPER_GAIN sets how strong this damper effect is... the reason it is there is because some wheel (that will go unnamed :p) screw up the damper implementation and vibrate like crazy when the car is not moving.. so I had to had this value to allow to turn the damper off, or reduce the effect.

DAMPER_MIN_LEVEL is the amount of damper that is left on while driving. In other words, as the car is speeding up the amount of damper goes from DAMPER_GAIN to DAMPER_MIN_LEVEL. The reason why it is here is because some wheels are mechanically very "loose" and smooth and some users missed the old "FF DAMP" value that we had in AC in previous versions.

The LOW_SPEED_FF stuff is totally unrelated. It kills the forces coming from the tyres at low speed to avoid unnatural vibration when the car is about to stop or starting.. because it works at super low speed (3kmh by default) I really don't see any reason to mess up with this one at all.

uff_, Tibalotte, Cote Dazur and 15 others like this.
  6. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Thanks Stefano.

Another think : the user has to also to add damping to wheel's profiler? Or AC will work like this even with profiler closed or with damping at 0%???

7. Yes the profiler setting is a multiplier for the stuff set in AC.

Easy likes this.
  8. liakjim

liakjim Alien

So why you said that you play with logitech profiler closed? ( or my memory start to slip away? ).

9. ?
    I don't.

10. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Ok sorry. Good to know. I had something wrong in my head. Thanks for clarifying.

So since you have a G27, what are your settings?

11. all at 100% :)

liakjim likes this.
  12. Quffy

Quffy Alien

I don't use damping effect because it makes the wheel feel like grinding against metal. It could be smoothed maybe, to feel more the hard stationary rubber of the tyre against the asphalt, because currently I only feel the G27's internal hardware grinding. With the soft lock is also too rough when you hit the steering lock limit.

13. WallyM

WallyM Alien

It's always great to have definitive explanations of these kinds of settings.

14. Lowkey

Lowkey Racer

Having dampening on 100% in Thrustmaster profiler with other things turned down off in AC definitely makes a difference, I learned this the hard way :p

15. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Super, thanks Stefano!
    What is the range of DAMPER_MIN_LEVEL 0 to 1 or 0 to 100?

16. liakjim

liakjim Alien

0 to 1.

17. Thank you @Lord Kunos ,this clarifies damper effects completely.

18. Silhuette

Silhuette Gamer

Anyone with G27 have a suggestion how to get rid of dead center. Some cars are better then the others. Maybe with damper effects ?

19. Sell it and get a Thrustmaster or Fanatic. :D

20. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

See how money change people :)
    https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...leife-ac-vs-iracing.29017/page-17#post-598806

And it's Fanatec.

LeDude83 likes this.
  21. You can enjoy AC all day long with a G27 or DFGT; but you will have to learn to live with a tiny deadzone in the center to do it.

irfan.pratama likes this.