1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

From Sim racer to Pro Racing Driver

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Sim Racing Girl, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Hi there!

I had a chat with Wolfgang Reip (European GT Academy winner 2012) about his journey from a Sim Racer to a Pro racing driver at Circuit Zolder in Belgium.

Hope you enjoy!

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room racecraft.online - Free Competition Platform for Sim Racers Jun 6, 2022
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards New SimRacer having problems getting first TR Mar 27, 2022
    Chit Chat Room The Sim Racer Dec 2, 2021
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room Right league for and old simracer Nov 15, 2020
    ACC General Discussions A message to all fellow sim racers Feb 9, 2020
    ACC Hardware Discussions Simracers storytime (TL;DR - I really, really enjoy ACC) Dec 10, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Are Sim Racers Gravitating to ACC? Jun 22, 2019
    Chit Chat Room Could this happen to a simracer? Mar 26, 2019
    Online Leagues / Championships room Republic Of Simracers http://republicofsimracers.com Feb 10, 2019
    Screens & Videos SPSimRacer Screens and Vids Nov 8, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Emotional intellect of simracer/gamer and effects for community Apr 8, 2018
    Console Lounge Italian sim racers - cerchiamo piloti italiani Feb 8, 2018
    Screens & Videos Sim Racers Setup and Performance Guide Jan 11, 2018
    Screens & Videos What going on in a Sim-racers mind? edited version Oct 1, 2017
    Online Leagues / Championships room What's going on in a Sim-racers mind? Sep 30, 2017

3. mms

mms Alien

4. davperes

davperes Rookie

This is quality content right here! Would love to see more like it :)

Sim Racing Girl likes this.
  5. Indeed, nice interview! Wolfgang is one of the guys we should trust, since he was/is freaking fast in sims and also very fast with real race cars :)

Sim Racing Girl and Cote Dazur like this.
  6. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Damn, that was actually really interesting interview. One of better sim racing related video I've seen in a good while. No girl points (I never give those :p )

Lots of interesting bits, what he said about iRacing vs. AC vs. AMS, motion rigs, VR... lots of things. Wish he went into detail more about what cars in AC he thinks are most realistic (doubt he has driven all of them IRL though), and which maybe less so and more into why. And of course it's just opinion of 1 since in sim there is things that don't get communicated, not even with motion like he said etc... But that kind of IRL experience gives some weight to ones words, compared to normal sim racer. Liked the part where he said iRacing is least realistic of the three lol... well, I guess time to rob a bank/sell kidney and get DD wheel

7. Insert Coin

Insert Coin Racer

Well done. And Wolfgang is a relaxed guy who is used to being interviewed a lot I guess :).

8. Whitestar

Whitestar Hardcore Simmer

Hard to disagree with him, at least what he says about AMS. FFB there is great.
    RF2 not so much, but I'm guessing I just don't have it set up properly. Seems I have to put in some work.

9. mms

mms Alien

Someone should send him a copy of pCars2 :p

10. GTHQ_koop

GTHQ_koop Hardcore Simmer

I was at the same final (regional held on Zolder) in 2012 competing for Holland together with Hani (which made it to Silverstone) :)

Good to see he is still active..!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  11. chakko

chakko Alien

Don't want to watch the whole video. Does he talk about AC too?

12. mms

mms Alien

Quote from the other thread:

13. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

I don't think that he has used AC very much

14. chakko

chakko Alien

Thanks. :)

15. Why's that? I would echo all of his comments besides the "a lot of cars feel very similar" thing...

16. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

IDK, maybe I'm wrong. For example yesterday I had a hardest time in my life trying to tame down F40 with Street90s tires in Streetfight server. So AC is not like every car is a drift rocket. But maybe he just meant that drift cars in AC works well. Also "A lot of cars feels similar" part sounded really weird, perhaps because I don't drive modern cars very much. Also I think that it takes more than a few laps to start feeling a car, and getting to know it, and they feels unique on different tracks, also with different grip levels, just try setting a tracks friction to ~0.7 and then take "dusty" or "green" track, and you'll have different car again. But yeah... for me it sounded pretty much like he only is using AC for drifting, and it can not be very much, I guess, I find drifting rather boring lol

That "a lot of cars feels similar" could hide something deeper, I can not think about much cars in AC having very similar feel. But perhaps similar challenge, or technical difficulties besides driving it, lack of rough edges... but I don't want to speculate because I have no clear idea about these things, just rough idea. All cars in AC are very reliable and durrable, maybe a few cars has slightly more issues with gearbox damage, or turbo cars melting down the engine and thats it. Stall in combination with proper clutch work, engine overheating issues and so on would bring more character to cars. For example in rF2 917K mod you can't really drive it very hard on relatively slow tracks because it overheats, I wonder if it is realistic.

But in general all cars in AC feels rather unique for me. Only the fact that you will never roll a car grinds my gears, but I bet there are many guys who likes it - because it is not a good thing to flip a car, just like a tire puncture or slipping on oil which is not even visible....

17. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

I would disagree with him there as well. I think the cars in AC have a lot of nuance to them and don't feel all the same. None of the 911 feel alike for example. None of the GT3 cars feel alike, even the R8 LMS and Huracan GT3 feel different (as they should). You can clearly make out the differences in the array of Lotus cars. An LMP feels totally different from a modern F1, which feels totally different from classic F1, etc. I wouldn't enjoy driving in the sim if the cars all felt "samey".

Still a nice interview though, thanks.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Whitestar likes this.
  18. Bear in mind he's a professional racing driver...so he has quite good car control. Cars will seem easier to drift to him than most people (and I would trust his comparison to real life more than most as well).

I think when he talks about drifting he's referring more to race cars vs. road cars. The race cars in AC are a bit too eager to lose grip in cornering to me (this is backed by required steering input vs. real life), which is effectively what he's saying with how "some cars should be more planted." That's probably also where his "a lot of the cars feel similar" comment comes from...you guys are taking it too literally...of course an F1 car feels different than an LMP...I doubt he'd disagree. The tires in AC don't have a huge amount of variation to them (besides the vintage stuff, most have really similar optimum slip angles and ratios, fairly similar grip drop-off, load sensitivity, etc.). So obviously while each car feels different due to different suspension, aero, etc., the things connecting it to the road are at the end of the day dynamically quite similar. That's why lazily done mods are so popular in AC...they all have that "Kunos" feel even if they're horribly inaccurate. His comment probably refers to that.

19. djfil007

djfil007 Rookie

I put in about 4-5 hours of adjustments to MMOS and the controller.json file before I'm now 'mostly satisfied' with rF2's FFB on my OSW. I'm still not really enjoying how they handle the FFB for FWD cars, very aggressive when there's a loss of grip on the front tyres. The setup of FFB is definitely related to the 'not very plug and play' comment he gives. AMS is a much more plug and play experience for FFB (same with Assetto Corsa, though I prefer FFB in AMS).

20. liakjim

liakjim Alien

I really trying hard to understand this.
    Road tyres are really different than semis or slicks in AC. First being friendly, semis will byte you more easily and slicks will lead to tank slapping situations.
    Actually from my point of view this is exactly what i like to AC. Not cars but tyres. Cars feel more planted than let's say rF2 where cars slide all over the place (recent Mclaren GT3 being a fine example on this being super friendly at rF2 and on the contrary at AC where you need to be on the edge not to crash).

21. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38 Simracer

I dont get this too.

Just a few clicks on pressure and is possible to feel the difference, with the same tyres.