1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

General tips to improve lap times

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by chksix, Mar 8, 2017.

1. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

Yep, the yoke is real nice for airplanes since it rotates 90 deg which is replicating real aircraft yokes. For racing however it makes the steering too nervous although I've made it as calm as possible around center. There's a bit of a deadzone around center which causes the jerkiness seen on the video. I hope a G29 won't have that.

I watched the racing school video by Skip Barber and it helped me understand the theory better and also remember basics I think I learned but forgot about.
    Would be great to have a slip angle app which shows the amount of slip of the fronts to learn how much the wheel can be turned until I get the FFB wheel.
    (edit, found some nice apps on RD which will help)

I agree about the ghost and will drive Time trial instead and get the Delta app.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  2. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

No need to 'get' a delta app, AC does already have one.

3. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  4. martcerv

martcerv Alien

I also hate the ghost nothing more distracting when the delta gives you better and more useful info, even in a race looking visually at the car ahead I cant really see if I am gaining or losing but seeing live splits or live delta between cars will show how your going against traffic where visually unless your gaining or losing lots of ground you don't get much info.

I use the one in Ptracker, mostly as it saves your PB delta per combo. With it on any server running stracker you can also set the reference delta to anyone else's lap which could be a handy tool not that I have ever actually tried that but I see it would be useful. I do use the stracker lap comparison though to see where I may be losing time to others.

With the ptracker PB delta always up I do run dashmeter pro on my phone as my main OSD and this shows my current session delta, you may be running very different conditions so the PB delta isn't going to be that useful. The in game delta app would be fine for this too.

Pretty much every modern form of racing these days the drivers always have the delta running as its the best way to get direct feedback to your driving to see where can gain more time.

chksix likes this.
  5. Kade

Kade Hardcore Simmer

chksix likes this.
  6. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

I managed to make the Cobra more controllable by altering the setup. Suddenly I could improve my lap times around Brands. Still missing 10 secs to mr Labbé :)

I've been cautious about altering the basic setups to avoid making the cars worse in handling so this is a big step forward for me ;)

Attached Files:

7. Fat Rich

Fat Rich Hardcore Simmer

You mentioned not liking the KTM in a previous post.... it's a road car that has the manufacturers recommended road settings as the default setup in AC.

It generates a lot of downforce from under the car, but the default setup is designed to clear potholes and speedhumps on the road so it's not generating the downforce as well as it could. If you drop the ride height significantly you'll go a lot faster and the car will feel more stuck to the track and more predictable.

Likewise as with most road cars in AC you'll find more speed if you increase the camber at the front, maybe experiment with tyre pressures too. I also reduce the front rebound dampers to get less understeer when I get on the power (although that's something I do on all cars in every sim, might just be my super smooth driving style ;) )

Makes the car a bit more oversteery and a lot more fun to drive. It's a combination of understanding how your inputs at the steering wheel affect a cars handling, and also getting the spanners out and adjusting setup that makes you go faster :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    chksix likes this.
  8. Kade

Kade Hardcore Simmer

In most cases that would have an opposite effect depending on the absolute starting rebound value, especially on aero cars.

eclipsee likes this.
  9. Fat Rich

Fat Rich Hardcore Simmer

Really? That's not been my experience in any car in any sim.... maybe I apply the throttle too smoothly and those changes compensate? Anyway, it definitely works for me in terms of laptime and how the car feels, but your mileage may vary :)

I guess that's why we all prefer different setups ;)

LeDude83 likes this.
  10. The only setup changes that I make to the KTM are to reduce the ride height, and I think that it is a really enjoyable car to drive.

chksix and Fat Rich like this.
  11. Sleeper Service

Sleeper Service Hardcore Simmer

... and maybe some strengthening of the front springs :p

Christopher Low likes this.
  12. Good call, Johnny!! :D

Sleeper Service likes this.
  13. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

I'll give the KTM a retry and test it with low ride height. The Cobra at Brands Hatch kept trying to jump off track at each bump and was very unstable in a straight line. I think I got that damped out rather ok.
    The Xbow is more slippery in general and wants to go tail first. I need to smoothen my pedal work a lot so it will be a great car for teaching footwork.
    The G29 is ordered and paid for now so in two weeks I'll be having a new experience :D

Ace Pumpkin and Fat Rich like this.
  14. For the record, my ride height changes on the KTM X-Bow R are rather modest at the moment. I drop the front down to 20, and the rear down to 15. I am pretty sure that others lower it more than that.

chksix likes this.
  15. martcerv

martcerv Alien

That KTM is a great learner car I think, it has no factory aids. H pattern but still a fair bit of grip but it can bite you fairly quickly so it needs some good car control to keep it in check, its lightweight and can actually challenge the supercars around many tracks which is quite surprising.

16. V8_KB

V8_KB Alien

I guess I should give the KTM a drive again at some point. After 1.12 got released I did a few laps on the 'Ring and was surprised how much more stable and planted the car was. It felt much easier to drive than before and that put me off a bit from the X-bow.

chksix likes this.
  17. IMO, most cars should feel planted and relatively easy to drive....up to a point. When I encounter cars that are "all over the place", I start to wonder if there is a problem with the code.

chksix likes this.
  18. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

I've wondered about the 488 GT3. Everytime I select it to drive it online I keep spinning and it seems to have hard plastic tyres or running on the rims even.

19. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

GT3 can be tricky with cold tyres (well, cold slicks in general), maybe check if the server runs with tyre blankets = off.

Also the ideal pressure was changed some time ago, maybe if you have an old setup with the old and too high pressures this might also be an issue.
    Check with the tyres app if the pressures are green with warm tyres.

martcerv and chksix like this.
  20. martcerv

martcerv Alien

As @Schnipp says above beware of cold slicks they will have much less grip then street or semi slicks when cold, many cars it may take a lap or more to get the tyres to temp and pressure. If not using tyre blankets getting around before the tyres come up is one of the biggest challenges. The softest compounds will normally come to you sooner but medium and hard slicks in some cars may take 2 or 3 laps to get to normal temps and will be pretty sketchy before that.

Schnipp likes this.