1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

General tips to improve lap times

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by chksix, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Yeah, but because it was a handful, formerly. Now it drives like a car, not like an execution chair on four wheels. :D

chksix likes this.
  2. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

Cheers for your great post baronesbc! Hopefully I'll have my new G29 wheel here when I return from work (two weeks on a ship) and then I'll be able to use my feet like in a real car.
    I've set the FOV to 40deg to get a better sense of speed. I discovered a problem when online though where the rear view mirror gets clipped and unusable. Is there a command to activate the virtual mirror although it is off by the host?

baronesbc likes this.
  3. chalminho

chalminho Simracer

Hit F11

chksix likes this.
  4. hazardic

hazardic Alien

you should rename the thread to "great tips..":D

chksix likes this.
  5. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

You would have to use look behind instead if the V mirror is blocked by the server. Helicorsa would help as well.

+1 for delta's, I always have a delta running, the 1 I use doesn't have a bar just shows time but they can be really helpful. Just glance at it when you can rather than when your trying to hit an apex.

6. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Regarding the FOV, I keep spinning out with low FOV, thats because I see very little of the car interior, so I'm always reacting too late. Just have had 0 fun with F40... then I reset to my original FOV and I'm much happier man, I have much more confidence, and still can hit the apexes just as good.

I think there are two correct FOV's. First is when the track you see is in correct aspect ratio, and second is when you have as much interior in your peripheral vision as you should. I guess I'm in between of those two, and that is optimal for me. Perhaps only people with huge tripple screens can match both. I'm starting to think about VR, but i don't like that there will be even more stuff to deal, and I'm watching this channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsE_m2z1NrvF2ImeNWh84mw lol he teaches to always be aware of your surroundings, at least i would when racing haha

chksix likes this.
  7. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Well,....
    Next time you are sitting in your RL car, measure your FOV with your hands.
    How much of the cars interior do you see...
    Not much , I assume.

Simply get used to that view, and you will, very soon, realize, you are naturally be much faster.

PS: excuse my weird grammatical...

8. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

Viewing the world through a monitor makes for a very narrow FOV. I have a curved 24" screen so quite small. I'll keep adjusting until it feels better and more natural. 40 might be a bit too narrow.
    I had the RHM plugin set to follow the steering to help look into corners but it made me a bit nauseous so I had to turn that down. VR would be awesome but I need at least 90 fps to avoid feeling like I'll get seizures ;)

9. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Well, actually you see a lot, from mirror to mirror I'd say, but thats in peripheral vision, but it still helps to very quickly tell if car is rotating nad so on... "Correct" FOV will never be good to me, because i like to be a bit rough, with narrow FOV I'm forced to be much more gentle with the car, especially if it is F40 or similar beast level car.

Chksix, I have 23' 40 feels to norrow for me too, and I use 50 IIRIC. Correct would be ~25 which is absurd IMO

I wonder if it would be possible for devs to separate interior FOV from exterior FOV. I mean one FOV slider only for interior, and other slider for exterior - for the track vision. Probably it would look very wrong, I can't imagine that. Maybe it would feel like car got shrunk or something like that. I wonder.

chksix likes this.
  10. Vibe Style

Vibe Style Racer

RHM is great app but not to improve in lap times or skill (depends on settings), because when you use cockpit fixed view it´s much easier to see how car react with surface, so better control around edge and you can push more.
    Btw I use very little of this AC´s g-force effects but no "lock onbard camera to horizon".

chksix likes this.
  11. I use a setting of 50 degrees with my single 24" widescreen monitor, and I couldn't care less what the "correct" FOV setting is. Use what feels comfortable to you.

chksix and ALB123 like this.
  12. ALB123

ALB123 Alien

That's all that matters. You're not telling anybody that they have to use what you decide...so why should someone care about what your FoV is? I would absolutely love to be able to run the correct FoV but it's awful when you're supposed to have a FoV like 30 and only a single screen. If I had triple screen I could swing it. So, for now I run 40' and I'm happy.

13. Hagen

Hagen Hardcore Simmer

When you look through a window from the other end of the room, you see less than you could see.
    If you stand an armlength away from it you will see much more.
    I suggest to move the monitor as close as possible to your wheel and then start dialing in fov and virtual seat position to your personal needs. (Dials, mirror (s))

In my rig the center monitor is placed between the wheelbase and the wheel, right above the steering column. My rig is exactly like Todd's in the video above. Filmed from where my head is, when i am racing it looks like this (fov 56°) :

chksix likes this.
  14. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

Bumping this thread with the news that getting a Logitech G29 wheel has made a huge improvement to my driving and feel for what the car is doing.
    Now it's time to learn all the tricks from this thread and Aris' video. :)