1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Go faster. Basic driving techniques at Game&Track YT channel

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Aristotelis, Apr 3, 2017.

1. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Thanks, that's very kind. I will check it out tonight.

One more thing: someone mentioned that switching to VR gave them more consistency. I'm sceptical towards VR regarding eye fatigue/health (blue light emission) and resolution but in this point it just has to be a big help, indeed - having the view properly follow your head movement.
    Likewise, I had a significant improvement when switching to the mathematically correct FOV some 2 years ago (before I usually raced in bonnet view). No shots fired here at people who prefer "augmented" FOV...I know it's a hot topic so peace and whatever floats your boat ;-)

I'm just saying that for me consistency became a lot better afterwards.

chksix likes this.
  2. Fat Rich

Fat Rich Hardcore Simmer

You've identified the problem, Jim Clark always said when he wanted to go faster he just concentrated more.

If we focus on brake points, using all the track, hitting the apexes, always getting a good exit then we'll be practicing doing things right and we'll naturally get faster.
    If we push too hard and become inconsistent lap after lap, we'll be practicing the wrong things and will only get better at doing it all wrong :D

Hagen, LeDude83 and chksix like this.
  3. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

Exactly that is what I'm experiencing at Zandvoort in the GT3 AMG now. Looking at the replay shows that a car could fit in between me and the track edge on the main straight. Lots of other corners are the same since I'm braking late and missing apexes. I'll try going slower to feel the lines and the rythm of the track. Very hard though since the Fonsecker roar is just Fappable in that car ;)

LeDude83 likes this.
  4. My problem is that I can't be bothered to do the hard work! I prefer to just turn up and drive :)

Berniyh and Schnipp like this.
  5. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

I always thought like that until Aris video that is. It showed a way that transformed work into play, to me. Now I do a few laps, watch the replay, verify braking points and apex, go faster, smile, do it again.:D
    It is different, but better than before to me. Braking points and apex are my goals now and doing them right feels good, so the efforts is rewarding because the goal is clear, does not feel like work, to me.

mms, LeDude83 and Dean Ogurek like this.
  6. demetri

demetri Hardcore Simmer

I love when people several seconds off the pace point into slight mistakes of much faster drivers. It is easy to nail your apexes every time when you're slow, try doing that when driving on the limit. What good is a perfect lap which is two seconds slower than an imperfect one?

Ace Pumpkin and Kade like this.
  7. Kade

Kade Hardcore Simmer

Top Nep is well-known troll, I wouldn't give too much attention.. :p

8. NEPNEPNEPNEPNEPNEPNEPNEPNEPNEPNEPNEP

That said, prolly lost a tenth or two :p

9. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Slightly off topic, but how do you make the tyres app larger as he has in the video?

At 1450p I find it quite tiny and my eyes are terrible... :(

10. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Hover the mouse over the app and you will se arrows, the right side makes it bigger and the left side smaller, or the other way around.

Mogster likes this.
  11. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

That is an interesting comment and makes me wonder how that it is even possible that an imperfect lap would be faster than a perfect one, driven by the same person, of course.
    What is a perfect lap, one could say a lap where you hit all you braking point, apex and acceleration starts perfectly.
    Now, if that lap does not yield the fastest time, then most likely those braking and acceleration points were not "perfect", just hitting the apex and using all the track does not make a perfect lap.
    Even the most gifted driver, that is Michael Schumaker to me, was hitting his apex, almost to the millimeter, lap after lap, of course his braking and acceleration were on par.
    So I would say a perfect lap is very good and should be the goal of any driver, not withstanding of his natural speed or natural ability.

12. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

The goal of these videos is not to showcase the perfect laptime or define who is faster from who.
    The goal is to demonstrate that practice does makes perfect but it has to be good practice. Focusing on the important things, not just lapping without any goal but the laptime, which may or may not improve.

By focusing on the important things, not only you might (not necessarily) become faster, but you'll also understand why. Later on, you might be consistent enough so that you could point out what the car doesn't do well enough for you and how to change the setup to actually improve it. But as I said, first you need to know what you're doing, not just "pushing" more.

Here's an example. @William Levesque excellent hotlap showcase what one can achieve with precision driving even with the default setup. Incredibly enough, the default "unstable" setup is better for @William Levesque level because it helps him turn the car more. But he is on another level. He could be faster too with a couple of click on his setup as he can certainly assure you. But he knows it, he has the experience (for whatever reason, practice, knowledge, whatever).

For people starting this journey though, it is better to have a more balanced setup that will help them push and become consistent. Understand what happens. Then, and only after you have gained this experience, you can start looking at different details, like asymmetrical setups or whatever.
    This is why you shouldn't jump "steps" and try to match aliens pace, reference points or setups and techniques.
    Train "better", reach a new level, then evolve.

Vel, Kristaps, Tim Meuris and 21 others like this.
  13. Yeah, it's pointless to try and copy exactly a hotlap. Just thought it'd be interesting to see what a "top" kinda lap looks like. But it's more for analysis than trying to replicate it, there's more to it than just driving the correct lines. How you release the brakes, how and when you get back on throttle, how the steering inputs relate to throttle inputs and tyre slip, etc.

Driving is pretty simple when you feel it, but there's a lot to take in when you decipher what's happening :p

Vel, Kristaps, Nahkamarakatti and 4 others like this.
  14. Eta for next video release? Yeah, now we don't care about game updates or dlc, we care about your videos!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

cerebralvortex, Frogpaw and Minolin like this.
  15. Mogster

Mogster Alien

The tyre pressure setup section at the end. Is it better to keep pressures or temps in spec?

With the road cars, especially the AWD ones, I often find that my fronts are melting. If I raise pressure that helps to keep the temps in check but then both my pressures and temps are out of spec on the high side. Tbh the pressures are only edging out of spec, temps would be volcanic otherwise, so maybe raising pressure is the answer.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  16. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

As you see, the worst thing you can do with setup is follow "rules of thumb". The only rule of thumb is that everything is a compromise and the only judge is the clock.
    In your specific situation, certainly raising the temps helps you with tyre heat and wear, so go for it. Then again, if you modify your driving style to suit the car (like very late apex and acceleration only with straight wheels), then you might be able to have lower temps and lower more the pressure, thus gaining more grip.
    Not saying it's possible, you might already reached the limit, just throwing ideas.

Kristaps, Tim Meuris, Dookie and 6 others like this.
  17. Animal Ed

Animal Ed Simracer

... or you may adapt your driving technique to car.
    For example, light cart with not much power - momentum car which means high corner speed as much as possible without sliding or compromising line (clean drive) because there is not enough power to minimize mistake.

Or awd cars - slow in/fast out big time which mean using superior traction and some additional help to rotate the car such as kerbs (early apex) ...
    even if something is written in stone, there may be faded parts not easy to read and practice can help with that.

ninjad by Aris

chksix, Ace Pumpkin and Mogster like this.
  18. demetri

demetri Hardcore Simmer

I was obviously talking about different persons' hotlaps. If one driver hits all his braking points, turn-ins and apexes perfectly, but does not put the car on the limit of the grip they still will be slower than a driver that might have missed a few things here and there a bit but is using all the grip available in the turns. Hitting points is important, but if you don't use the grip that is there you still will be too slow.

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  19. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

Then we agree, first one has to hit the points in order to have access to the grip, then take advantage of the grip. To be "perfect" one needs to do both. Trying to push with the wrong apex on grip that is not there will never be fast.
    We, the driver who are not fast yet need to learn to walk before we run. Those who are running or think they are running have been warned not to watch the video since they already know how to walk and they might also want to ignore this thread if it is not to help us walk, we already know how great they are at running.

20. ApexPredator

ApexPredator Gamer

Mission accomplished, sir. Now I can guess a lot better after a corner if I gained or lost time right away, even without the delta app. I hope this series get expanded.

Now, if you guys can help with some questions I'd be very grateful. First is about the tires app, I was playing around yesterday with an Audi R8 to get the tires in a "green" temperature and using Aris tips to keep the pressure equal between sides. The thing is that although I found the configuration, the pressure numbers kept a blue color. What that color is trying to say? And about brake temperatures, I looked all official apps and didn't find a numerical indication of it. Is there an app for it? It's just out of curiosity to see the temperatures. I'm sorry if there's already a topic on these things, I used the search bar, looked some topics but did not find these questions.