1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Has the ai reached it's final potential ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by 4yrton Senn4, May 20, 2015.

1. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Id be happy for now if the AI could just pass each other when the car in front is way slower. As is you can't set up a track day scenario any more.

From Stefanos comments the AI receives information about the player cars position but not other AI cars. That explains why the AI pushes slower cars in front but not how they eventually pass which they do sometimes, it just takes a very long straight generally.

2. Mike1304

Mike1304 Alien

Does anyone remember the racing game "Total Immersion Racing" from the year 2002?
    The devs of this game tried to make the AI to behave like human beings and working multi-class-racing. Don't forget that these are features we still can only dream for in AC 13 years later...

This is a short summary from metacritic.com:
    "In Total Immersion Racing, other drivers will remember your actions on track. Always listen to your Team Manager. Be careful that you don't block a rival on track, or destroy the chances of a driver i na lower class, as he will remember your actions going into the next race and beyond. Remember that rivalries never die, and later on in your career you may regret the time you upset another driver - as they may decide to get revenge by ruining your championship run."

3. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

I care. Assuming my theory (see page #2, middle section) isn't that far away, there's almost no point in spending the AI any kind of tactical abilities as long as it can be improved in plain driving. The better the AI can actually drive, the more room is left for tactical maneuvers like overtaking - or even strategic decisions like the career thing (which isn't AI at all, just easy scripting).
    And no, as long as I can't race the AI because they just miss some breakpoints or corners I don't need them to fight me at all. And I think you have to realize that the tactical level is completly independent to the driving one; but it "uses" the driving abilities.

But I have to admit that I'd also cared a lot about multiclass racing :p

4. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

I just thought about something. Have anyone else noticed that if you crash into a AI that AI car will drive more aggressive against you? Might be something my brain made up but this thought just hit me.

5. nonnex

nonnex Alien

LOL, I think its only because you feel guilty and you would expect it. ;)

But who knows, maybe Stefano has made the Ai thinking "You crashed me and I crash you, you meatbag!".

6. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

I’m not so sure about that. Yesterday I started the career mode and in the fourth race you are racing the Giulietta against 500s and one e30. By the time I had worked my way through the field and was sitting behind the leading e30, it clearly started to make mistakes. I watched the BMW for the whole race and I never saw any slowdowns, slides or dust clouds until I was behind him in lap 4/5. The car overrotated and went through gravel four times during the last two laps, it really appeared as if the driver got nervous.

Besides that my very limited AI experience was good so far. They are quick, go for open doors and don’t back up in panic on the slightest contact.

7. MrGiggly

MrGiggly Racer

Think its more to do with them getting out of sync with the AI line.

Seen them run perfectly good laps then make the same error for the rest of the race. Also seen them ride the guard rails lap after lap with no sign of them attempting to get back on course. The latter was perhaps due to a mechanical failure and an unwillingness to retire.

8. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Just regarding the bold part: I highly doubt that. They should always be able to "resync" with the line. What you say sounds like an error that accumulates and increases over time. Maybe you need to re-phrase and make it clearer what you mean.
    In my example, however, the car would have all the space to stick to it's line. I was still way behind when I saw the car starting to make mistakes.

9. St3fan

St3fan Alien

I made this reply to this post a months ago: https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...still-in-career-mode.21755/page-2#post-458487

I believe in career mode multi-class races slower cars are put back in the grid so "fast cars won't overtake slow cars" issue would be less frequent. But man I1 Monza race is impossible for me to beat that 458S3 and get the gold.

10. I have just had my first ever couple of races against AI opponents in Assetto Corsa, but something very strange happened at the end of the second race. I have posted a report of this elsewhere on this forum, but basically the entire grid of AI cars slowed down to walking pace two thirds of the way through the final lap of an eight laps Alfa Guilietta QV2014 LE race @ Vallelunga Club. On the plus side, the framerate was super smooth at all times with 22 cars on track. I don't know the exact figure, but I don't really care about that. If it's smooth, it's fine.

11. Ross Balfour

Ross Balfour Gamer

I don't think anyone is asking for groundbreaking AI. Just the ability to race closely and at the same speed as other AI and have a moderate fight for positions.

The AI at the minute may be fast in some combos, but it is awful in others (BMW 235i for example it is 2/3 seconds a lap off WR pace at 100% - which is too slow for a high % of people)

Race07 AI was nothing special, but there was field spreed, talent files with aggressive and passing traits of individual drivers etc - which made for some great AI races - which are often better than online public server wreckfests.
    It could pass, it could defend (somewhat), and it could race you - pull away and drop behind you.. which was FUN! This AI is too slow, never passes and the top 2 drivers are always a second faster than every body else. Which means a guy who qualified 0.5 of pole in qually - suddenly is 2seconds a lap slower in a race just because he is in 5th? It makes for predictable and mind-numbing offline races.. which are great when you are bored and just want to race wheel-to-wheel on a whim.

12. MrGiggly

MrGiggly Racer

I didn't explain it very well. Doesn't help that I don't fully understand how the AI line is calculated nor how the AI logic determines how to stay on said line so its all just speculation on my part. I'm guessing that pathfinding between nodes under certain situations (eg tyre wear, overheating or mechanical failure) results in an incorrect decision on the shortest possible path to the next point, ie one that results in the AI being unaware that its next action will unbalance the car to a point where it can't correct it within the tracks limits. Perhaps its just a case of tweaking node position or adding an extra node or two to specific locations. Problem then is, it may fix one type of car but break another.

It does appear to accumulate over time and often continues to manifest itself suggesting that the variable in question never normalizes.

Now you've got me wanting it to happen again to see if there's any info to be gained watching a replay - and I bet it doesn't occur for the next 50 races I run !

LeDude83 likes this.
  13. Skybird

Skybird Alien

R3E has seen an update recently, which has technical problems for many (S3 works on it), and so I can enter the game via workaround only, however, beside even more improved, now epic sounds and improved physics, a new AI is part of the pack. It has seen fundamental changes in braking, which it now handles much smoother and more competently than before. As a result the already very good AI now has been improved even further, and as a side result the number of AI driving errors also has been reduced a bit. The best AI amongst modern sims just got better. The AI works best in touring cars and DTM92, GT2 and GT3 and the WTCC cars. It struggles with the brute raw power beast of the more exotic car classes like group 5 and GTX. Still being aware of the player and trying to avoid contact, the AI simply does not learn to adapt braking and start braking earlier in these superfast monster cars, so nevertheless sometimes sliding into the player's tail. But the slower car classes as quoted above give wonderful displays of door-to-door duels and bumper-rubbing both with AI and player cars.

Still not "perfect", but nevertheless: benchmark reference for racing AI, imo. I just had three races earlier this night, and the GTR classes were a sight to see. Close duels all over the place, constant lane-changing, almost no accidents, whole pack involved, an AI acting determined if you leave open an opportunity, but doe snot drive like Kamikazes. That is racing!

14. Mitja Bonca

Mitja Bonca Alien

AI ISSUE:
    So is there any trick to make AI passes each other? Cause I just cannot do it so on one of the tracks. I specified all the boundaries (track/tarmac inside white lines (lines included) is only valid to drive on), but somehow the AI is in 95% staying behind each other, even the one behind is in a way faster car! What to do?

15. Vítor Sousa

Vítor Sousa Alien

Wait for AI redesign from Kunos.

16. spidiG

spidiG Racer

The Ai should make more mistakes, but not to often. Mistakes give the overtake opportunities, because cars all driving the same speed can't really overtake.
    As for faster vs slower cars as far as i understand it, ai doesen't have in-advance knowledge of the cars, if it would that would mean scripting. And we would have scripted events of overtakes and such, which would be bad. But when AI drives 'dynamically' it reacts in the moment. And currently the slower car slows donw the faster car, and the ai doesen't react quickly and 'deadly' enough to overtake.

But again we shouldn't realy race fiat500 with f1 car or something... but all f1 feild they all drive the same speed, how can ai overtake other ai when the speed is the same (talking here about 1st and 2nd place cars, or 6th and 7th place cars, not 1st and 7th place cars those have different lap times)? if we want to see 2nd car overtake 1st car the 1st car needs to make a mistake and the other car needs to learn to drive off the racing line if he wants to overtake....

17. Vítor Sousa

Vítor Sousa Alien

That's not what happens...

AI is in your draft, gets out of it to overtake you only to slow down and slot back into the draft. That is no Fiat 500 with F1...
    That's cars in the same class...

18. spidiG

spidiG Racer

I did say AI needs to learn to drive off the racing line

19. ReZ

ReZ Rookie

if only they could make the AI half as good as in Microprose Grand Prix 4 it would still be better than any other racing games on the market^^

20. Skazz

Skazz Racer

Personally I'm not worried about this now that Kunos has announced console support for Assetto Corsa: The AI has to be a top priority now, along with expanding the single-player experience further to the level that console users expect.

Right now AC is my ideal hotlap simulator. And the AI feels close to being good enough, just needs better aggressiveness holding position, driving alongside each other and overtaking others. When that is in place, my reasons to race anything else will vanish :)

Mitja Bonca likes this.